Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-02-2018, 17:34   #31
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limk88 View Post
Hey Yamadeejit - have you looked at Kahn academy for videos on the different sciences; it might be quicker than reading books...  Personally, I liked the Biology for dummies book.
Have any of you guys applied abroad?  I stumbled across this today - https://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/wp-co...ember-2017.pdf
I didn't apply anywhere abroad. I thought the GAMSAT was a disaster on the day so didn't bother applying to the UK. I probably would have stayed in Ireland anyway, if given the choice.
Advertisement
04-02-2018, 18:23   #32
GrabTheCREAM

How did everyone get along with the Online Practise 1? I did this for my prep for the Sept. 2017 exam and I got a score of I think 74-85 or something but this time I got 65-68.

Granted I did take my time in the first prep and gathered loads of info whereas I timed myself in this one I still see it as progress haha

Also has anyone taken the Griffith's Essay Course? It's 200 big ones so I'm a little skeptical but I would like to know how to maximise my points and how I'm getting on..
04-02-2018, 18:59   #33
Kirby2k07

Quote:
Hey Yamadeejit - have you looked at Kahn academy for videos on the different sciences; it might be quicker than reading books...  Personally, I liked the Biology for dummies book.
Have any of you guys applied abroad?  I stumbled across this today - https://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/wp-co...ember-2017.pdf

27,500 year tho excluding living expenses
04-02-2018, 19:55   #34
ilovesmecounty

Hi gang. I've worked my way through the Des and Acer papers and I know that PBL is the best way for me to learn. Can you recommend any other sample papers? Preferably papers with worked solutions, rather than just the answers.
14-02-2018, 10:47   #35
Celestial12

The exam is creeping up so fast now! Hope the preparation is going well for everyone.

I have PDF's of the Acer papers and Des O'Neill notes if anyone wants them.
Advertisement
15-02-2018, 15:09   #36
GrabTheCREAM

Has anyone done the Griffith's Essay writing course at all? I'm doing it now and I find it very very basic. But using des o'neills essay advice, it was completely different in comparison and I ended up getting 61 in the September 2017 sitting which I wasn't too happy with

anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by GrabTheCREAM; 15-02-2018 at 15:51.
15-02-2018, 15:41   #37
Limk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheCREAM View Post
Has anyone done the Griffith's Essay writing course at all? I'm doing it now and I find it very very basic. But using des o'neills essay advice, it was completely different in comparison and I ended up getting 61 which I wasn't too happy with

anyone have any experience with this?
I'm doing it at the moment but haven't gotten my marks for this week yet - are you doing the 5 week course or the 10 week course?  Is the feedback good?
15-02-2018, 15:46   #38
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
I'm doing it at the moment but haven't gotten my marks for this week yet - are you doing the 5 week course or the 10 week course?  Is the feedback good?
I'm doing the 5 week course, got a C- in the parentage essay and a D+ in the second one so definitely room for improvement. The feedback is very thorough but it really contradicts Des O'Neills guide for structure, etc. so I'm a little hesitant but I'll see how I get on as it goes on

How have you found it?
16-02-2018, 17:58   #39
Limk88

Quote:
Quote:
I'm doing the 5 week course, got a C- in the parentage essay and a D+ in the second one so definitely room for improvement. The feedback is very thorough but it really contradicts Des O'Neills guide for structure, etc. so I'm a little hesitant but I'll see how I get on as it goes on

How have you found it?
I got a C+ in parentage and a D in the selfishness essay so not best pleased with myself.  I suppose the only way to test the theory of which method works is to do the official essay on the acer website using both methods and seeing how it goes?  I'm going to stick to the Griffiths one for now anyway...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2018, 18:05   #40
mesallat

Anyone interested in going halves on the new pink acer practice paper? 32 euro for a crappy pdf is criminal ...
16-02-2018, 18:11   #41
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
I got a C+ in parentage and a D in the selfishness essay so not best pleased with myself.  I suppose the only way to test the theory of which method works is to do the official essay on the acer website using both methods and seeing how it goes?  I'm going to stick to the Griffiths one for now anyway...
I actually did the first and second ACER ones before I started the course just to see where i was at (first was v easy so I’d base my real score on the second)

First time around I got a 55 to 59 on the score and this time before I started the course I kinda followed the structure of the essay in Griffiths and got (I think) 62 to 65 so could’ve been a fluke not sure lol

Will try the ACER ones again after this module
23-02-2018, 15:04   #42
Limk88

Quote:
Quote:
I actually did the first and second ACER ones before I started the course just to see where i was at (first was v easy so I’d base my real score on the second)

First time around I got a 55 to 59 on the score and this time before I started the course I kinda followed the structure of the essay in Griffiths and got (I think) 62 to 65 so could’ve been a fluke not sure lol

Will try the ACER ones again after this module
How is your essay prep going?  I got Ds in both this week - I am really liking the feedback but feel like the subjects are a bit complex.  I don't know if this is the standard on the actual GAMSAT essay...
23-02-2018, 15:08   #43
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
How is your essay prep going?  I got Ds in both this week - I am really liking the feedback but feel like the subjects are a bit complex.  I don't know if this is the standard on the actual GAMSAT essay...
I got a D and C- this week, but the marker said one of them was my best essay to date... but gave me the same mark as before hmm 🀔

Yeah the subjects are a little complex but I think it’s close enough to what you see in the gamsat anyway maybe a little less specific if you get me
24-02-2018, 23:34   #44
Consonata

Anybody here applying to Scotland or Derry. They both seem significantly cheaper, and I'd rather finish college loanless.
26-02-2018, 12:11   #45
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consonata View Post
Anybody here applying to Scotland or Derry. They both seem significantly cheaper, and I'd rather finish college loanless.
I didn't apply to the UK because I didn't think my GAMSAT went well enough in September to justify applying. Not going to put off starting for another year though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion