Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-01-2018, 15:37   #16
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
You should get an offer for UL with 55 even if you don't improve. Fingers crossed you will score better second time around. Would you accept an offer from UL? I think I'm going to put it as my second choice, I currently have it third.
I would yeah. I'd prefer Dublin as my life is here, but the only thing I have against UL is location. Knowing my luck as well there will be a huge jump in scores and cutoff in UL will probably climb to 56 and 57. So I have to retake the thing. Having the prior experience going in is great in that I know what to expect. However, because I know what to expect I have full knowledge of the torture of that ghastly exam!
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 15:41   #17
Limk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
Hi guys, repeat gamsat refugee here. I sat it with very little prep in September (due to full time job) and zero science background. I had to learn what an atom was. So out of my depth completely. But the experience was great to have going into March. So if money is tight, I'd recommend you study as much as you can and give the exam your best go, even if you feel you aren't ready. At best, you might be pleasantly surprised, at worst you repeat with the knowledge of how better to go about it. I scored a 55 and nearly fell out of bed when I opened it. However, my science really let me down, while my essay writing really helped me out. So I'm going again. My progress in science is quite slow. I'm going through the papers, and I've reached the nearly always narrowing it down to two possible answers stage, but I always seem to go for the wrong one

I feel like I understand the concepts, but the way the questions are asked just don't suit my thinking process if that makes sense. I'm also worried that I might lose marks in Sections 1 and 2 due to lack of practice, and my marks were so good (especially in 2) that I can't possibly repeat that performance!
I feel your pain ilovesmecounty - I spent 3 weeks learning everything in "Biology for dummies" to find that rote learning is not the best way to tackle the GAMSAT   I think I'm going to focus on chemistry topics, basic physics and maths for now while working through the Des O'Neill questions for the next 2 months.  
This seems pretty good for brushing up on maths for GAMSAT : http://e-gamsat.com/gamsat-videos-maths.html.  Did you do anything specific for section 1 and 2 for your September GAMSAT sitting?
29-01-2018, 15:46   #18
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limk88 View Post
I feel your pain ilovesmecounty - I spent 3 weeks learning everything in "Biology for dummies" to find that rote learning is not the best way to tackle the GAMSAT   I think I'm going to focus on chemistry topics, basic physics and maths for now while working through the Des O'Neill questions for the next 2 months.  
This seems pretty good for brushing up on maths for GAMSAT : http://e-gamsat.com/gamsat-videos-maths.html.  Did you do anything specific for section 1 and 2 for your September GAMSAT sitting?
Not really. Just the practice questions in the exam papers. I figured I knew how to read and write enough to at least give it a good bash and focused completely on science. I do a lot of writing in my job though, and I had just written an MSc thesis so I had the critical thinking homework done in that sense. Writing any decent essay in an exam is hard, but throw in that time pressure and it's really hard. I'm used to speed reading and writing and even I was writing to the end for the essays and only had about 5 minutes to spare in section 1. Thanks for that. I find the sums often catch me out.
29-01-2018, 15:46   #19
Celestial12

Quote:
I would yeah. I'd prefer Dublin as my life is here, but the only thing I have against UL is location. Knowing my luck as well there will be a huge jump in scores and cutoff in UL will probably climb to 56 and 57. So I have to retake the thing. Having the prior experience going in is great in that I know what to expect. However, because I know what to expect I have full knowledge of the torture of that ghastly exam!
Hopefully there won't be a points jump! I know what you mean though. I'm on 63, and I'm starting to wonder if I should sit again in March. I have UCD down first, it hasn't been near 63 in years yet I'm starting to worry I won't be secure.

Did you get practice test 3? They released it in November, so it should be more like the real exam. The thing that annoyed me most about the GAMSAT on the day was the Section III seemed much more reasoning focused than in practice papers. I felt I would have been better off if I'd spent more time practising questions, rather than trying to learn concepts!
29-01-2018, 15:52   #20
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Hopefully there won't be a points jump! I know what you mean though. I'm on 63, and I'm starting to wonder if I should sit again in March. I have UCD down first, it hasn't been near 63 in years yet I'm starting to worry I won't be secure.

Did you get practice test 3? They released it in November, so it should be more like the real exam. The thing that annoyed me most about the GAMSAT on the day was the Section III seemed much more reasoning focused than in practice papers. I felt I would have been better off if I'd spent more time practising questions, rather than trying to learn concepts!
I have it, I just haven't gotten as far as it yet. I felt I wanted to keep it til last, as hopefully I'll be improving as I go and don't want the psychological kicking of doing badly in it! If the cutoff was 58 last year, I think you're safe enough. It's not going to make that kind of leap. I just am not good at these kind of tests. I've gotten a bit better, but not quick enough.
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 16:05   #21
ilovesmecounty

Also can I just double check with you guys as I'm really nervous about messing up this CAO application. I've applied, have a number, and I've posted off the original documents. I have updated my ACER account with my CAO number. Is that all I can do? There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the CAO website to add my gamsat score. Thanks!
29-01-2018, 19:14   #22
e1994

63 was a great score to get! Any other advice?
30-01-2018, 11:07   #23
Celestial12

Quote:
Also can I just double check with you guys as I'm really nervous about messing up this CAO application. I've applied, have a number, and I've posted off the original documents. I have updated my ACER account with my CAO number. Is that all I can do? There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the CAO website to add my gamsat score. Thanks!
Fingers crossed you're right and the scores won't change much. That's all I did. I'm also paranoid that I'm going to mess it up. I'd prefer if the system was more like that for other postgraduate courses, and that offers were made throughout the year. I hate that we have to wait until August. The March GAMSAT results are out in May, and most colleges release their results in June so it's a shame that it can't be sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1994 View Post
63 was a great score to get! Any other advice?
Not really! I didn't think the exam went well on the day, and felt I got lucky. Section III was my best section. I felt I would have been better off focusing on data interpretation rather than knowledge acquisition. Know how to read different graphs, tables etc. I found a lot of the questions on the day very wordy, and easy to confuse what they were asking for.
30-01-2018, 11:14   #24
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Fingers crossed you're right and the scores won't change much. That's all I did. I'm also paranoid that I'm going to mess it up. I'd prefer if the system was more like that for other postgraduate courses, and that offers were made throughout the year. I hate that we have to wait until August. The March GAMSAT results are out in May, and most colleges release their results in June so it's a shame that it can't be sooner.
In total agreement with you here. The results in August leave 2 weeks to find a place to live etc. I know with the Leaving Cert they need the summer to mark their papers but in this day and age, coupled with the housing/rental crisis, the fact that they could tell us earlier is more than a little bit annoying. I really feel for anyone who might be borderline going to Dublin but won't know until the day of the offers, who then have to make their way through the property jungle here. Plus, since we're older, I'm assuming lives take more managing and organisation compared to the Leaving Cert cohorts who can just take off and sleep on a couch if they have to. Oh to be young again!
Advertisement
31-01-2018, 01:44   #25
mesallat

Hey guys, did anyone on here get a score of 61 in sept, and if so are you repeating in march ?!

I got 61; I feel that if I got 60 or lower i'd happily repeat, and if I got 62 i'd be pretty happy to sit and wait with that for UCD.

61 is a tricky one cause it has to be 60 or lower to guarantee place, and it was 59 last year I think and has gone up by 2 pts before (rarely happens tho in fairness). Just wondering if anyone else in that predicament anyway ?

cheers
31-01-2018, 11:48   #26
yamadeejit

Quote:
Hi guys, repeat gamsat refugee here. I sat it with very little prep in September (due to full time job) and zero science background. I had to learn what an atom was. So out of my depth completely. But the experience was great to have going into March. So if money is tight, I'd recommend you study as much as you can and give the exam your best go, even if you feel you aren't ready. At best, you might be pleasantly surprised, at worst you repeat with the knowledge of how better to go about it. I scored a 55 and nearly fell out of bed when I opened it. However, my science really let me down, while my essay writing really helped me out. So I'm going again. My progress in science is quite slow. I'm going through the papers, and I've reached the nearly always narrowing it down to two possible answers stage, but I always seem to go for the wrong one
I feel like I understand the concepts, but the way the questions are asked just don't suit my thinking process if that makes sense. I'm also worried that I might lose marks in Sections 1 and 2 due to lack of practice, and my marks were so good (especially in 2) that I can't possibly repeat that performance!
Thanks for thus post. Was considering giving up and just sitting in Sept due to time constraints of working full time. You are right, it is expensive and I may as well give it my best shot.

Also- in terms of sending documents to CAO. Can I print off a copy of my transcript and send it off? Is that all that needs to be sent?
31-01-2018, 12:03   #27
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadeejit View Post
Thanks for thus post. Was considering giving up and just sitting in Sept due to time constraints of working full time. You are right, it is expensive and I may as well give it my best shot.

Also- in terms of sending documents to CAO. Can I print off a copy of my transcript and send it off? Is that all that needs to be sent?

I've applied to CAO, and have my CAO number, and I've posted off the original documents to their office. Make sure they are original docs and not photocopies, grad med specifically needs original documents. I also updated my ACER account with my CAO number. I didn't send my gamsat score to CAO as I'll be re-sitting and according to their very confusing website, they will get the score from ACER but you need to keep an eye on your account in case it doesn't update.
Thanks from:
31-01-2018, 22:25   #28
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesallat View Post
Hey guys, did anyone on here get a score of 61 in sept, and if so are you repeating in march ?!

I got 61; I feel that if I got 60 or lower i'd happily repeat, and if I got 62 i'd be pretty happy to sit and wait with that for UCD.

61 is a tricky one cause it has to be 60 or lower to guarantee place, and it was 59 last year I think and has gone up by 2 pts before (rarely happens tho in fairness). Just wondering if anyone else in that predicament anyway ?

cheers
You could maybe try to email UCD directly and see if they give you any information. In general, points here don't change much from year to year but the wait is nerve-wrecking!
Thanks from:
02-02-2018, 07:02   #29
yamadeejit

What is everyone doing for the biology section? I have been making notes for physics and chemistry using the Gold Standard but I feel this would be too time consuming for biology given the amount of information.
02-02-2018, 10:54   #30
Limk88

Hey Yamadeejit - have you looked at Kahn academy for videos on the different sciences; it might be quicker than reading books...  Personally, I liked the Biology for dummies book.
Have any of you guys applied abroad?  I stumbled across this today - https://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MEDICAL-DEGREE-BROCHURE-November-2017.pdf

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion