Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-11-2017, 17:15   #1
louiselennonm

GAMSAT 2018

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with GRADMED And the course they run and if it’s worth it and useful, any information would be appreciated, thanks
Advertisement
26-11-2017, 19:17   #2
Celestial12

How much does it cost? I've heard people say prep courses are overpriced and not worth it, but perhaps they work for some people. I sat the exam in September and there wasn't any courses available at the time so I didn't do any. I think it depends on your circumstances, are you hoping to start GEM next year? If not, then I definitely wouldn't do a prep course as you'll have more than one chance to sit the exam.

I found the Des O'Neil material good prep for the exam.
26-11-2017, 19:28   #3
louiselennonm

It costs just over 2000 I think for the science which is where I need the most work as I come from a non science background. The reason I like the idea of the course is structure and guidance on how to go about study etc however if it is a waste I of course don’t want to spend the money. I have the des o Neill prep stuff so will be using that too. What did you get in the exam If you don’t mind me asking?
26-11-2017, 19:47   #4
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiselennonm View Post
It costs just over 2000 I think for the science which is where I need the most work as I come from a non science background. The reason I like the idea of the course is structure and guidance on how to go about study etc however if it is a waste I of course don’t want to spend the money. I have the des o Neill prep stuff so will be using that too. What did you get in the exam If you don’t mind me asking?
I got 63 in the exam (SI 56, SII 64 and SIII 67). Work your way through the Des material, Khan academy videos are good too (I used them to brush up on Chemistry). Biology I just briefly bushed up on, my degree was biology based though. Didn't have time to cover physics! I don't think the Des O'Nell notes are great, but their practice tests are. I also briefly used some of the Berkeley (MCAT) notes.

I think €2000 is very expensive for the course, but if you think you'll benefit then go for it!
26-11-2017, 20:04   #5
louiselennonm

yeah i agree it is a lot! just so unsure how to begin, I'm in 2nd year of a 3 year degree so do have some time and three chances to sit GAMSAT before i finish my degree, just the amount of science there is i find very daunting, well done in the exam!
Advertisement
27-11-2017, 10:47   #6
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiselennonm View Post
yeah i agree it is a lot! just so unsure how to begin, I'm in 2nd year of a 3 year degree so do have some time and three chances to sit GAMSAT before i finish my degree, just the amount of science there is i find very daunting, well done in the exam!
Thanks! There's lots of online resources. Did you do any science subjects for the LC? The biology is pretty straight forward in the GAMSAT, a lot of it is data interpretation and any info you need is given in the question. If you're good at section I and II, good scores there can compensate for a weaker score in section III. You'll figure out a strategy that works for you as you get into the study.
27-11-2017, 22:17   #7
medennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
I got 63 in the exam (SI 56, SII 64 and SIII 67). Work your way through the Des material, Khan academy videos are good too (I used them to brush up on Chemistry). Biology I just briefly bushed up on, my degree was biology based though. Didn't have time to cover physics! I don't think the Des O'Nell notes are great, but their practice tests are. I also briefly used some of the Berkeley (MCAT) notes.

I think €2000 is very expensive for the course, but if you think you'll benefit then go for it!
€2000 is definitely very expensive. Doing the exam without a science background is completely possible. I sat it for the first time there in September and scored 60. I did law and finance in undergrad, so have no science backing whatsoever and did very limited study for the GAMSAT. I worked a full time job and started to study about four months before the exam. I found a combination of Khan Academy and Des O’Neill worked really well and it saved me a lot of money rather than shelling out for a prep course.

You’ll get a lot of great material on Adverts.ie , maybe have a look here before you spend a couple thousand on a course. I’m now using the time before starting GEM to do free chemistry courses to brush up on my own knowledge at an easier pace, rather than trying to cram it for the exam
06-01-2018, 14:58   #8
e1994

This might be a ridiculous question but are you allowed to write on the paper that the essay questions come on? i.e. to make a quick plan?
08-01-2018, 09:46   #9
Recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by medennial View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post

€2000 is definitely very expensive. Doing the exam without a science background is completely possible. I sat it for the first time there in September and scored 60. I did law and finance in undergrad, so have no science backing whatsoever and did very limited study for the GAMSAT. I worked a full time job and started to study about four months before the exam. I found a combination of Khan Academy and Des O’Neill worked really well and it saved me a lot of money rather than shelling out for a prep course.

You’ll get a lot of great material on Adverts.ie , maybe have a look here before you spend a couple thousand on a course. I’m now using the time before starting GEM to do free chemistry courses to brush up on my own knowledge at an easier pace, rather than trying to cram it for the exam
I just want to reiterate this point. My advice is the following:
- Get yourself acquainted with the test format and do tons of past papers;
- Understand the basic concepts in chemistry, physics and biology;
- I would rather spend the £260ish on sitting an extra session and better grasping the test conditions.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2018, 13:28   #10
AthenaFortuna

For those sitting in March, can this result be used to apply for courses beginning in 2018? I also sat in September but am resitting to try and improve my mark a bit.
08-01-2018, 13:47   #11
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaFortuna View Post
For those sitting in March, can this result be used to apply for courses beginning in 2018? I also sat in September but am resitting to try and improve my mark a bit.
Yes, you can use the March score. September 2016 & 2017, March 2017 & 2018 can all be used for 2018 entry.
18-01-2018, 06:18   #12
yamadeejit

I am doing a full time pharmacy internship at the minute so I am finding it difficult to squeeze in study time. Anyone have any advice? Would 2 and a bit months be enough? Starting to lose hope a bit.
Thanks from:
18-01-2018, 11:18   #13
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadeejit View Post
I am doing a full time pharmacy internship at the minute so I am finding it difficult to squeeze in study time. Anyone have any advice? Would 2 and a bit months be enough? Starting to lose hope a bit.
It's more than enough time! I'd recommend doing practice questions. Des O'Neill and the Acer questions are good.
Thanks from:
27-01-2018, 09:41   #14
ilovesmecounty

Hi guys, repeat gamsat refugee here. I sat it with very little prep in September (due to full time job) and zero science background. I had to learn what an atom was. So out of my depth completely. But the experience was great to have going into March. So if money is tight, I'd recommend you study as much as you can and give the exam your best go, even if you feel you aren't ready. At best, you might be pleasantly surprised, at worst you repeat with the knowledge of how better to go about it. I scored a 55 and nearly fell out of bed when I opened it. However, my science really let me down, while my essay writing really helped me out. So I'm going again. My progress in science is quite slow. I'm going through the papers, and I've reached the nearly always narrowing it down to two possible answers stage, but I always seem to go for the wrong one
I feel like I understand the concepts, but the way the questions are asked just don't suit my thinking process if that makes sense. I'm also worried that I might lose marks in Sections 1 and 2 due to lack of practice, and my marks were so good (especially in 2) that I can't possibly repeat that performance!
29-01-2018, 15:19   #15
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
Hi guys, repeat gamsat refugee here. I sat it with very little prep in September (due to full time job) and zero science background. I had to learn what an atom was. So out of my depth completely. But the experience was great to have going into March. So if money is tight, I'd recommend you study as much as you can and give the exam your best go, even if you feel you aren't ready. At best, you might be pleasantly surprised, at worst you repeat with the knowledge of how better to go about it. I scored a 55 and nearly fell out of bed when I opened it. However, my science really let me down, while my essay writing really helped me out. So I'm going again. My progress in science is quite slow. I'm going through the papers, and I've reached the nearly always narrowing it down to two possible answers stage, but I always seem to go for the wrong one
I feel like I understand the concepts, but the way the questions are asked just don't suit my thinking process if that makes sense. I'm also worried that I might lose marks in Sections 1 and 2 due to lack of practice, and my marks were so good (especially in 2) that I can't possibly repeat that performance!
You should get an offer for UL with 55 even if you don't improve. Fingers crossed you will score better second time around. Would you accept an offer from UL? I think I'm going to put it as my second choice, I currently have it third.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion