Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-10-2014, 15:04   #16
Terrance Peterson

I was sure I had failed the GAMSAT so you never know. Yeah, 2 years. I told them to revise their loan page to state this fact for the coming years but it probably fell on deaf ears. Yeah its a great course, just so much work. Good luck with your endeavours...
Advertisement
05-02-2015, 18:44   #17
Ballet17

Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the course I'm hoping to go to UL this coming Sept on the results I got in the UK Gamsat last yr. I'm just wondering about the scholarship. Do you have to have secured and paid the first instalment of the loan before starting the course? What happens then if you are awarded the scholarship, does it go towards paying the first instalment back and can you then cancel the loan? Just wondering how it all works 😊 Thanks!
09-02-2015, 08:51   #18
Terrance Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballet17 View Post
Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the course I'm hoping to go to UL this coming Sept on the results I got in the UK Gamsat last yr. I'm just wondering about the scholarship. Do you have to have secured and paid the first instalment of the loan before starting the course? What happens then if you are awarded the scholarship, does it go towards paying the first instalment back and can you then cancel the loan? Just wondering how it all works 😊 Thanks!
Ballet, no you don't have to pay anything! It seems crazy but you don't. Although you don't find out if you have got the scholarship until between Oct and Nov...
09-02-2015, 21:42   #19
Ballet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Peterson View Post
Ballet, no you don't have to pay anything! It seems crazy but you don't. Although you don't find out if you have got the scholarship until between Oct and Nov...
Thanks Terrance! That's good to know. So you don't have to pay anything before you enrol? Do you still have to have a loan secured? Sorry for all the questions, it's all a bit confusing! ☺️ Well done to you on getting it, hope you're enjoying the course so far!
18-02-2015, 01:25   #20
vladcount

Hi Guys, i plan on sitting my gamsat next yr as im in my second last yr of my undergrad.
Terrance tell me if you could , I know the scholarship covers fees but does it covers accommodation too or what ? i see it says a substantial amount for living expenses ?
I am currently a access student in DCU so id say id be fine
thanks all!
Advertisement
08-05-2015, 00:02   #21
heybert

Guys UL only hand out one or two of these scholarships per year so roughly 1-2% of students get one. Please don't factor it in to your choice of medical school!
08-05-2015, 06:39   #22
Btrippn

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Guys UL only hand out one or two of these scholarships per year so roughly 1-2% of students get one. Please don't factor it in to your choice of medical school!
Where did you find this out? Any idea what the typical candidate profile is like? Thanks

Last edited by Btrippn; 08-05-2015 at 06:43.
08-05-2015, 10:42   #23
vladcount

Thats funny i just emailed the GEM proggramme scholarship officer here is her reply :
Hi Karl,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding scholarships.

The Graduate Entry Medical School offers all applicants via the CAO an opportunity to apply for a scholarship. It is processed through two phases of application and each year to date there have been approximately ten scholarships awarded. However, the funding is being reduced and this will most likely reflect in the number of scholarships granted being reduced in the future unless we receive more funding in this regard.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards,

Denise O'Malley
Administrator/Riarthóir
Room Number: GEMS3-010
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2015, 10:42   #24
vladcount

They give out 10 yearly !!!!
Advertisement
11-05-2015, 08:17   #25
Btrippn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladcount View Post
Thats funny i just emailed the GEM proggramme scholarship officer here is her reply :
Hi Karl,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding scholarships.

The Graduate Entry Medical School offers all applicants via the CAO an opportunity to apply for a scholarship. It is processed through two phases of application and each year to date there have been approximately ten scholarships awarded. However, the funding is being reduced and this will most likely reflect in the number of scholarships granted being reduced in the future unless we receive more funding in this regard.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards,

Denise O'Malley
Administrator/Riarthóir
Room Number: GEMS3-010
Does that not mean approximately 10 in total as in since the scholarship commenced?
11-05-2015, 08:42   #26
vladcount

10 a year except one year when funding went down and it was 8 in the first yr but after that first yrnot has been ten yearly .
��
Thanks from:
30-11-2017, 12:33   #27
maria0310

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc11 View Post
This is correct. And it's true you won't find out if you're successful until some weeks after you start in UL. You wouldn't want to bank on it.
Then how do the fees work? Do you pay the first installment of fees and then if you get the scholarship they refund you that amount or do you pay nothing and wait until you hear an answer about the scholarship?
17-12-2017, 23:36   #28
dublindoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria0310 View Post
Then how do the fees work? Do you pay the first installment of fees and then if you get the scholarship they refund you that amount or do you pay nothing and wait until you hear an answer about the scholarship?
If you are banking on the scholarship do not pay fees until after you hear if you do or don't have it. You could pay your fees at the end of first year and it will not make a difference!
Thanks from:
17-12-2017, 23:40   #29
maria0310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublindoctor View Post
If you are banking on the scholarship do not pay fees until after you hear if you do or don't have it. You could pay your fees at the end of first year and it will not make a difference!
thanks for the reply! are you sure about that? I thought you have to be a registered student in order to get the scholarship and in order to be registered you have to pay the fees? Im probably wrong though. Are you speaking from experience?
17-12-2017, 23:42   #30
maria0310

Is there anyone who got the scholarship recently who could tell me when they found out they got it? was it before starting the course or after?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion