Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-05-2013, 21:53   #61
pc11

This may be a bit premature but are there any peeps who will be commuting from Dublin 1/3/5 to either RCSI or UCD? (I haven't decided yet!) Sharing a drive could be a major cost saver for us both.

I'm getting a moped or bike soon anyway as a cheap travel option, but nice to have other options too.

Last edited by pc11; 24-05-2013 at 22:02.
Advertisement
30-05-2013, 10:10   #62
WoolahUrma

Has anyone been to one of the official ucd tours for those going for medicine? If so is it worth attending as opposed just poping in and looking around yourself?

Im booked in for the 20th but it means travel and a day off work so if its not super duper I might just tipp around myself.
30-05-2013, 10:38   #63
nomoreexams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolahUrma View Post
Has anyone been to one of the official ucd tours for those going for medicine? If so is it worth attending as opposed just poping in and looking around yourself?

Im booked in for the 20th but it means travel and a day off work so if its not super duper I might just tipp around myself.
I went to one a few months ago. It's good if you have questions to ask current students and you get a Q&A with some of the lecturers.

Also you'd probably get to see more if you had someone showing you around and giving explainations of which classes happen where. But then it's probably not worth losing out a days pay for!
Thanks from:
30-05-2013, 10:56   #64
WoolahUrma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreexams View Post
I went to one a few months ago. It's good if you have questions to ask current students and you get a Q&A with some of the lecturers.

Also you'd probably get to see more if you had someone showing you around and giving explainations of which classes happen where. But then it's probably not worth losing out a days pay for!
The impression im getting so far is that rcsi will look after you a little better but ucd have better facilities.

rcsi have smaller classes but vincents would suit me better in terms of commute.

rcsi seem to do more with the usmle in the way of supporting students but im not sure if I'll even end up sitting the test so its probably not the best point to make the decision on.

The other difference is the fee although if I think that there is a defo advantage to studying in surgeons it won't bother me too much.

Its probably irrelevant in reality but I wasn't exactly over the moon to hear that rcsi are hawking irish medical degrees over in bahrain without the correct amount of clinical experience.
30-05-2013, 11:04   #65
nomoreexams

You sound like you're in the exact same position as me at the moment. It's a really tough decision. It may come down to a coin flip at this stage. If we could only mush the 2 colleges into one and make the perfect college.

I am worried about the 2,000 extra for RCSI and as fees increase and the loan fails to cover the increase, RCSI may put me under more pressure financially, but as you say if RCSI offers an advantage over ucd it would be money well spent.
Advertisement
31-05-2013, 02:39   #66
iscr

There's always trouble in the RCSI- the admin have a lot of trouble controlling and micromanaging the students. Like today, our email service was withdrawn. Always seems to be a crisis. It's very easy to get yourself into trouble. Like they have these group projects and if one person does something "wrong" everyone gets a first strike. For a joke and to blow off steam someone replied to an email claiming they'd fooled the college and made up the entire project- they whole group got a first warning even though it was obvious who authored the email and that person owned up.They like to treat everyone as a criminal. They read your private emails so use gmail and not college email
I'd say UCD is your only man. RCSI might be something not to have on your cv in a few years time as the teaching is getting poorer and poorer as they try and save money on lectures and force student to student teaching instead. Their peds rotation is completely taught by your fellow students apart from one week of lectures that are badly coordinated.
Why not UCD? (Hint hint)

Last edited by iscr; 31-05-2013 at 22:40.
31-05-2013, 12:05   #67
diverboy83

My tuppence to this thread: on the QS University rankings, whilst RCSI and UCD are in the same bracket, UCD Med School actually outranks RCSI.
Here are the links:

RCSI: http://www.topuniversities.com/node/...-rankings/2013

UCD: http://www.topuniversities.com/node/.../2013/medicine
Thanks from:
31-05-2013, 12:16   #68
WoolahUrma

I found this a couple of weeks ago, its the latest ranking which place ucc above ucd or rcsi. Trinity is consistantly first but after that from what I've seen they vary too much to take too much notice of.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...s_data_start=0
03-06-2013, 11:24   #69
diverboy83

Another quick question: what's the situation regarding 3th and 4th year clinical placements etc? I seem to recall that during the RCSI open day, they mentioned that accommodation is sometimes covered by the University/Hospitals. Anyone know more about this?
Advertisement
03-06-2013, 11:32   #70
nomoreexams

i've heard that too, hopefully a current student can confirm? Also do UCD have the same policy (edit: in terms of helping with travel expenses)?
03-06-2013, 12:04   #71
iscr

Quote:
i've heard that too, hopefully a current student can confirm? Also do UCD have the same policy (edit: in terms of helping with travel expenses)?
The RCSI put you up or pay you travel expenses if you just want to drive. They own a lot of property around the country such as "Ardkeen" appartments which is just a stone's throw away from waterford regional and you tend to get your own room with study facilities (desk etc).

If you want to learn medicine in RCSI pray they stick you as far away from Dublin/Beaumont as possible as the atmosphere is much more pro-learning in the peripheral hospitals
Thanks from:
03-06-2013, 12:15   #72
nsa75

During clinical years at RCSI students on peripheral hospital rotations were always offered the choice between paid accomodation or travel allowance. Accomodation provided is in the form of student apartments or B&B (breakfast sorted each morning which is a bonus and helps reduce living expenses for the week). The travel allowance is E100 per week and geared towards covering petrol or public transport costs for commuting to and from the hospital daily - this is obviously very possible for the likes of Drogheda but not so practical for Waterford/Kilkenny etc. Some students get lucky and end up on a peripheral rotation close to their family home and so often elect for the travel allowance option whilst moving home for the 4-6 weeks......this allows them to pocket the leftovers as travel costs are greatly reduced. Similarly, some will carpool and all claim the allowance thereby diluting out their travel costs and saving overall.

In addition to the above, students on peripheral clinical attachments can avail of internet USB sticks from the college library for a deposit of E15. Granted it's probably not a huge saving in the grand scheme of things but it's nice not to have to fork out monthly to O2/Vodafone for data.

While the student accomodation is very basic I never had any serious issues with regards safety or the apartments themselves. The organisation from the college was consistent and very straight forward - there were never any issues when claiming the travel allowance at the end of each rotation.

Last edited by nsa75; 03-06-2013 at 13:50.
(2) thanks from:
03-06-2013, 17:47   #73
pc11

Quote:
I asked UCD about this and yes, it's paid for.
(3) thanks from:
03-06-2013, 18:51   #74
diverboy83

That's that then - decision made!!
03-06-2013, 21:39   #75
nomoreexams

Another question to try and distinguish between the two: I know in RCSI the undergrads and gems merge in third year, is it the same in UCD?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion