Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2013, 16:13   #16
nomoreexams

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdothis View Post
I'm sure it's been said on other threads here that AIB have stopped the GEMS loans entirely for new entrants.
I went into AIB and they said once I got all the documentation (i.e the acceptance from RCSI) they'd process the request for a graduate loan for RCSI. Maybe when you apply there's a different story, but they seemed optimistic.

Last edited by nomoreexams; 21-05-2013 at 16:17.
Advertisement
21-05-2013, 16:20   #17
pc11

Quote:
I'm sure it's been said on other threads here that AIB have stopped the GEMS loans entirely for new entrants.
I was just about to post this. I *think* it may be possible to take out a regular loan with AIB, rather than a GEM loan, but it will be more expensive and probably hard to get.

BOI (and UB in UL) are your only realistic options, as far as I know.

EDIT: see update in the next post

Last edited by pc11; 21-05-2013 at 17:07.
21-05-2013, 17:07   #18
pc11

I just spoke to AIB. There is a loan available but it is at crazy terms and I can't see how anyone would want it, or even be able to get approved for it. it is a standard student loan, they have no GEM loan.

You have to pay the interest while still in college at 10.3% APR! It is re-applied for and reviewed every year and the guarantor is re-approved every year and it it would not be uncommon to have the loan stopped half-way through.

If you eventually get to a 60K loan after 3 years, the interest-only repayment would be around 460 per month while still in college!!

When you graduate you apparently have only 4 years (not 5 as published) to repay it. This means monthly payments of €1506 per month for a 60K principal. This is obviously impossible.

I asked if anyone has actually taken out such a loan in recent years as it seems they have no wish to actually issue any such loans, and they wouldn't answer me directly, but it seemed like very few.

So, unless you have a very rich daddy, AIB is out.
21-05-2013, 17:23   #19
nomoreexams

You deffo got through to someone who was more open about giving information! Fair play. Glad I know that now. I was really hoping it was a solution to getting the loan for 2k extra for RCSI. I know it's not that much, but when I'm paying for rent, and living expenses that seems like a lot to try and save.
21-05-2013, 17:29   #20
letsdothis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreexams View Post
You deffo got through to someone who was more open about giving information! Fair play. Glad I know that now. I was really hoping it was a solution to getting the loan for 2k extra for RCSI. I know it's not that much, but when I'm paying for rent, and living expenses that seems like a lot to try and save.
Don't forget, the prospect of fees increasing over the course of the 4 years cannot be ignored either....
Advertisement
21-05-2013, 17:31   #21
nomoreexams

I like to stay in my bubble and pretend these thing wont happen. Maybe UCD could be the better option so since it's cheaper. It may be a decision based on finances.
Thanks from:
21-05-2013, 18:10   #22
letsdothis

Quote:
I like to stay in my bubble and pretend these thing wont happen.
Ha!
Quote:
Maybe UCD could be the better option so since it's cheaper. It may be a decision based on finances.
You've clearly been looking for something to put between the two courses. It's sad if it has to be money but I'm sure you won't regret going to UCD!
Thanks from:
21-05-2013, 18:57   #23
nomoreexams

Quote:
Ha!

You've clearly been looking for something to put between the two courses. It's sad if it has to be money but I'm sure you won't regret going to UCD!
Both colleges seem like outstanding colleges and I just can't make up my mind so it's coming down to factors like finance. I'm still hoping someone comes out with some deciding factor that will leave me in no doubt!
21-05-2013, 19:00   #24
House_QC

Has anyone ever asked RCSI why their fees are higher than UCDs, for example? Do they offer a valid reason for it?
Advertisement
21-05-2013, 20:02   #25
pc11

Quote:
Don't forget, the prospect of fees increasing over the course of the 4 years cannot be ignored either....
Yes, and it is my understanding that these increases will NOT be covered by the loan either, you will have to pay whatever increase they ask for.
In my spreadsheet plan I have assumed a rise of 1K each year, which is a total of 6K over the 4 years of college. This is not small.

Last edited by pc11; 21-05-2013 at 20:06.
23-05-2013, 15:59   #26
WoolahUrma

Update!!

Have been speaking to two more gps. One went to surgeons and recommends surgeons!! No surprise.

The other has two kids in med, one in surgeons, one in ucd. On their feedback it's another tick for surgeons. They look after you better, there's a " your one of us now" feel to the place he says.

The only thing is that it's all med, not a diversity of departments, but I've done my undergrad and I'm all set for freeing my mind/ finding myself.

Defo leaning toward rcsi a bit now
23-05-2013, 16:50   #27
nomoreexams

My issue with RCSI is that they have no benefits over UCD which justify €2,000 extra! I went out to see their facilities in Sandyford as well- I know it's only for a year but so far UCD 2: RCSI: 0
23-05-2013, 19:09   #28
WoolahUrma

Quote:
My issue with RCSI is that they have no benefits over UCD which justify €2,000 extra! I went out to see their facilities in Sandyford as well- I know it's only for a year but so far UCD 2: RCSI: 0
Rcsi smaller classes, earlier clinical exposure, international rep as a med school,
These are the things I'm hearing from the people I've spoken to.

Higher fees is a bother alright but you do get the laptop with the notes

Not a whole lot between them, I'd be as happy to go to ucd but for now, surgeons is1st
23-05-2013, 20:43   #29
JennyJ87

It's hard to comment on this question as I haven't been to both but I can say UCD is a superb medical school and from any of the objective measures seems to be in a different league to RCSI.

I'd rather be taught in a group of 50 by a consultant than in a group of ten by a junior doctor, that's my opinion as a final year.

Good doctors come out of both but if your daddy isn't paying for your ski holidays and your mini cooper you'll probably be better off in UCD, ironic I know.
23-05-2013, 20:49   #30
wolfpawnat

My partner studied in both for a while (don't ask) he thought that though UCD had the better facilities, RCSI was better with less bs labs and random microbiology lectures that made little/no sense!

Oh and JennyJ is right, RCSI is still very much a daddy's little rich kid exclusive club! They come from America with their money and think they are better than you. A few thought their parents paying nearly 50grand a year meant they were better than you even though the Irish students got their solely on academics! Though in all fairness, that attitude is in a lot of areas of life!

Last edited by wolfpawnat; 23-05-2013 at 20:52.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion