Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Delighted by that, only Murphy I'm really worried about now. Still, I do want to see EOS feature a bit more. His lack of game time has seen his progression slow down noticeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Reports on twitter that we're looking to sign Madigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Reports on twitter that we're looking to sign Madigan.

This flying around a number of places

A great move for Ulster, I’m a huge fan of Madigan. A quality player like him will really add to the squad, can play 10/12/15 so gives options when Addison is fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm a bit confused at that move. He's had three seasons away from Ireland where he has fallen down the depth chart. Anything more than a one year prove yourself deal would be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

Really not sure about this! Would far rather save the cash for another scrummy/forward! let our young guns grow!

• Advertisement

I am less than enamoured of this news.

I hope it is not related to Addison's fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This flying around a number of places

A great move for Ulster, I’m a huge fan of Madigan. A quality player like him will really add to the squad, can play 10/12/15 so gives options when Addison is fit...

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago yeah, but he hasn't really been a quality player for quite some time, given how his time in France has gone and his current season/late last season with Bristol.

But who knows, maybe he can regain some of his earlier talent and prove me wrong. But at the moment he would firmly sit outside the 23 in terms of depth for a fit squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

According to rugby pass this is confirmed. Bit of a kick in the teeth for Bill Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭durthacht

Strange signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

stephen_n wrote: »
    According to rugby pass this is confirmed. Bit of a kick in the teeth for Bill Johnston.

He's free to go on his contract? Hope so, Connacht would welcome him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Adds experience and squad depth, and you can never have enough depth as we found out away to the Ospreys the other week.

Hopefully this is not at the expense of Bill Johnston's development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good signing I think if he can get back to his Leinster form. Covers a couple of positions and is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Johnson signed for one year or more?

It's only for a year. Bilston's right, it's probably just to have an experienced head when we're playing Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, Moore, Johnston, Lowry, Lyttle, Curtis.

Is Ludik retiring?

It's only for a year. Bilston's right, it's probably just to have an experienced head when we're playing Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, Moore, Johnston, Lowry, Lyttle, Curtis.

Is Ludik retiring?

Hope not because I like the solidity he brings sometimes. He couldn't be more different to Madigan in that respect.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm honestly not sure what Madigan brings to the table. He's 31, barely played in a year (and not due to injury) and isn't exactly the type of steady experienced guy that will come in and steer the performance when big names are gone. Can assume he's there for depth alone and they got him on the cheap (although I wouldn't think too cheap) . The one year deal suggests this is the last roll of the dice for his career.

People have short memories, Madigan is 30 so has maybe 4-5 years. He was excellent for a number of seasons for Leinster but always got criticised by some section simple because he wasn’t sexton. His big chance was a disaster because of MOC and his style of play. He had to move after that and with PJ in Ulster not many options, as a Leinster man he didn’t want to play for Munster.

Bordeaux was ok at the start but it went a bit off, his move to Bristol was ok at the start....even last season he was playing...this season they just dropped him out of squad altogether which was puzzling, I haven’t seen anyone say he was playing terrible or anything

For Ulster he will cover 10, 12 and 15, he is more than capable of been a stand out player in the Pro 14 and even in Europe. If he can regain his Leinster form then he will be automatic starter in the team to be honest

Even with decent form he is an experienced international for those Pro14 games.,..

I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same about Marty Moore when he was signed, I said at the time he was quality and he is

Let’s hope for Ulster and Madigan this turns out to be another success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Seems like an odd signing. We have burns, Johnston and Lowry. I assume that he will assume he will only be second to burns. I'd rather we developed Johnston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Interesting. Hopefully he can regain his form of old.

His flexibility has to be a big asset.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Seems like an odd signing. We have burns, Johnston and Lowry. I assume that he will assume he will only be second to burns. I'd rather we developed Johnston.

Are they signing him as a 10? I would expect more of a utility player across 10/12/15

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Also plays 12 and 15 though.

Not sure we need him, but as I said before he adds a bit of depth.

As Paul says it is maybe an indication that LL may be retiring.

Are they signing him as a 10? I would expect more of a utility player across 10/12/15

I'd say he will be a utility player.

Burns will still be first choice, and Addison presumably will be first choice 15.

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say he will be a utility player.

Burns will still be first choice, and Addison presumably will be first choice 15.

Addison is quality but seems to be injury prone

It was mentioned on one of the podcasts when he signed from sale they said the Ferris he was some player if he was ever fit

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

People have short memories, Madigan is 30 so has maybe 4-5 years. He was excellent for a number of seasons for Leinster but always got criticised by some section simple because he wasn’t sexton. His big chance was a disaster because of MOC and his style of play. He had to move after that and with PJ in Ulster not many options, as a Leinster man he didn’t want to play for Munster.

Bordeaux was ok at the start but it went a bit off, his move to Bristol was ok at the start....even last season he was playing...this season they just dropped him out of squad altogether which was puzzling, I haven’t seen anyone say he was playing terrible or anything

For Ulster he will cover 10, 12 and 15, he is more than capable of been a stand out player in the Pro 14 and even in Europe. If he can regain his Leinster form then he will be automatic starter in the team to be honest

Even with decent form he is an experienced international for those Pro14 games.,..

I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same about Marty Moore when he was signed, I said at the time he was quality and he is

Let’s hope for Ulster and Madigan this turns out to be another success

You're being very optimistic. Madigan's contribution in the Premiership this season amounts to three bench appearances. If a 31 year old player with that statistic not called Ian Madigan was signed by Ulster we would all be bemused.

I could look past not working out at one club (family reasons, "fit" in the squad, management decisions etc) but two clubs is a red flag.

At least it's just a one year prove yourself deal so Ulster won't have the same buyer's remorse as Bristol if it doesn't work out.

Madigan is a very good but generally inconsistent player. If he kept his performances within 10 - 15% of his absolute best at all times he'd have had a different career. Plenty of variety to his game and he's a strong enough defender but can go hot and cold like the wind.

He's sounded fairly humble over the last year, I think he realises his lack of first team rugby is really costing him and he's clearly fallen out of favor with the coaches. If Madigan wants to play professional rugby for more than one more year he needs to have a pretty good year. Last chance saloon.

You're being very optimistic. Madigan's contribution in the Premiership this season amounts to three bench appearances. If a 31 year old player with that statistic not called Ian Madigan was signed by Ulster we would all be bemused.

I could look past not working out at one club (family reasons, "fit" in the squad, management decisions etc) but two clubs is a red flag.

At least it's just a one year prove yourself deal so Ulster won't have the same buyer's remorse as Bristol if it doesn't work out.

This season yes his contribution has been limited.

He is an extremely talented rugby player, always has been. If he gets some form he will be an excellent signing

SOme people always had an issue with Madigan, this forum was full of them. Personally it is great to see him back playing in Ireland,.

P.S. he is 30 till 21st :P

Madigan is a very good but generally inconsistent player. If he kept his performances within 10 - 15% of his absolute best at all times he'd have had a different career. Plenty of variety to his game and he's a strong enough defender but can go hot and cold like the wind.

He's sounded fairly humble over the last year, I think he realises his lack of first team rugby is really costing him and he's clearly fallen out of favor with the coaches. If Madigan wants to play professional rugby for more than one more year he needs to have a pretty good year. Last chance saloon.

PLaying for Leinster he was always very consistent, when was he inconsistent?

I do agree this is his last chance

• Advertisement

PLaying for Leinster he was always very consistent, when was he inconsistent?

I do agree this is his last chance

I mean - he would literally start a game playing brilliantly and by half time you would be begging for Gopperth to come on and he had his own issues.

Madigans last two seasons were a big struggle, he couldn't play well enough for long enough to stay in front of Gopperth and ultimately lost his place in the pecking order to him.

Also RWC 2015

Ireland v France
    Ireland v Argentina

He had a brilliant, controlling game against France and then completely failed to impose his game on Argentina.

To my mind he was more defined by his inconsistency than by his undeniable talent.

Advertisement