Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2019, 17:50   #661
jmauel

Well I thought it was fantastic and I have been to all 10.The Blaze was the gig of the weekend, absolutely beautiful music / performance / visuals, and even the rain could not dampen the spirits. KKK , Ibibio Sound Machine & Mano Le Tough were also fantastic (delighted to finally catch Mano now that Maeve takeover finally gave alloted times to each DJ . Mother brought the fun and the Sing along Social was super craic also. Yes there was less traders, but the food quality and choice was good. Yes the site was smaller, but that made it easier to get around. The new Reckless location was a major improvement, Hennesy in the garden was also an improvement. I thought moving the talks to the woods worked as well. Very nice security ( as always) . For a small independent festival I think they did very well. Oh and I dont know why anyone would complain about the lineup when they have had months to decide if they liked the acts or not. Anyway if Avril or Jenny read this , thanks so much. Less Bodies more Soul!
xx Noreen Lara xx

Last edited by jmauel; 25-06-2019 at 06:34.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2019, 17:57   #662
Mr.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
I had a great time! Was a quick one for us as we left pretty early Sunday to avoid the rain. I liked the smaller site, bringing Reckless in Love inside was a great move. Preferred the lineup this year to last years' also, and highlights for me were Ibibio, Pillow Queens, and KKC. Modeselektor were also excellent, but as noted above, the two audio outages really killed the buzz. One would have been okay, but the second was a death blow. They recovered well, but the moment was lost.

If Body and Soul is to keep going, I think they should scale back a little bit more again. Aim for a lower capacity, offer day tickets from the start, with better loyalty discounts, and hit a bit of a reset. Maybe drop Friday as a main stage thing and keep it ancillary only. The financial and commercial might of EP and ATN is going to flatten the rest of the Irish festival scene over the next couple of years, and I'd rather see B&S hibernate or scale back than get taken out.
I don't think they need to scale back (much) but they do need to improve the quality of the lineup. It's not quite at the stage where people just buy tickets regardless (i'm sure some do) and IMO while I love the festival, it's very pricey for what it is // lineup. If they kept it at 15k, sold tickets at the current price, surely they can book bigger acts?
24-06-2019, 18:56   #663
whelzer

What a weekend! The lineup was absolutely fantastic - I have no idea where the misery/moany ****e on this thread comes from? Where you actually there?

Stuff I saw
The Blaze - holy fk, some gig, the rain addedd to it!
Kate Tempest - mega dark and powerful performance
KKC - first time seeing them and was not disappointed, will be interesting to see if they replicate it at ATN
K&D - were simply superb
Spoken Word set led by Emmet Kerwin on the Woodlands - not normally my thing but I was blown away by several Irish poets
Modeselector - yes the outages were annoying but it was still some set. Outages were not B&S fault, it was down to Modeselectors own people. Got this first hand from one of the main B&S crew.
Sealford Mods - only stayed for a few songs, needed something a bit dancier at the time, good though.
IamDDd - really good stuff and I would go see her again - bit more crowd interaction would be good, seems to be the way nowadays with younger artists.
Mashrou Leia - didn't do a whole lot for me but partner really enjoyed it - comment above is odd - there was a decent enough crowd. We were half way back and ended up at the very front.
Talos - was really looking fwd to this and enjoyed it, would have been better inside.
Just Mustard - missed first few songs but holy moly - top of my list to see at ATN.
TPM - was glad they were just messers and not taking themselves seriously, bit of fun.
Meltybrains - caught last half, really good.
Seen Mathman being interviewed at Hennessy Sound Lounge, the sound system in that area was something to behold, I could not describe it, possibly the best setup I have ever heard!
Also caught the organizers (Jenny and Avril?) being interviewed there - pretty interesting - more on that shortly.
Ibibio Sound System - just didn't click with me? Really enjoyed them on spotify...
CupCakke - not my thing at all...crowd seemed to love her, left after a few songs.
Parra for Curra - stayed for most of it enjoyed it, probably on too early in the day.
Sssion - appalling, left after a song or two.
Wondered down to arbutus yarns stage a few times are loved some of it, especially young squeeze box guy on the first afternoon, headed there after The Blaze to finish the festival out with Cian Finn, great craic.

Probably seen other bits and pieces but thats not bad from memory seeing the damage I put my body (and soul) through!

Overall thoughts
Really good festival with a great atmosphere - not a single bit of agro in any shape or form.
Reckon I seen close to 20 acts, for 180 (early bird) thats shag all.
There was less retail than last year - probably 5-6 less in main area and maybe 4-5 in food on board area, did it make a difference, not to me...
All the above coupled with the free flow and easiness of moving from area to area means I will be buying early bird again when they come out. it will be interesting to see how ATN compares in a few weeks time

Back to the interview with the founders - I thought they were very sincere and honest in how they put the festival together, they stated they try to get as diverse a lineup as possible (music, gender, cultural, etc). Was interesting to hear that Nick Cave was their most expensive act ever, they were a 5k capacity at the time and they broke the bank in getting him, now they are 10K they could not afford him (or words to that effect).
24-06-2019, 20:54   #664
Peterd66

"The incredible Body & Soul Festival is almost upon us. The summer solstice event on June 20th-22nd will see a whole host of top acts including Goldfrapp, Gary Numan, Caribou, John Grant and so many more taking to the stage. Tickets are just €55 for a Sunday ticket or €139.50 for a weekend pass. "

This was 2014 - also on the bill was Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie and James Holden. And those prices were in June not early bird.

Nowhere near that line up this year.

Peter
Thanks from:
24-06-2019, 21:11   #665
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd66 View Post
"The incredible Body & Soul Festival is almost upon us. The summer solstice event on June 20th-22nd will see a whole host of top acts including Goldfrapp, Gary Numan, Caribou, John Grant and so many more taking to the stage. Tickets are just €55 for a Sunday ticket or €139.50 for a weekend pass. "

This was 2014 - also on the bill was Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie and James Holden. And those prices were in June not early bird.

Nowhere near that line up this year.

Peter
As I said - ATN has taken what remained of the lineup space for other festivals. The vast majority of artists are now locked up with either Pod or Festival Republic and can't be booked by anyone else. There's no way to compete financially either - those are behemoths in those terms.

So what can a smaller festival with a less guaranteed ticket revenue actually do?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2019, 22:38   #666
dav09

I personally thought it was a brilliant year and probably my favourite yet, I also think some claims about capacity are harsh, it wasn't absolutely packed like some years but I suspect maybe 10000 at it, which is probably almost perfect for its size (12k might be ideal). I found mainstage quieter than usual at times, but the Hennessy Sound Lounge and Reckless in Love seemed to have both been jam-packed at night when I been to them, along with the woodlands at times (which was usually the case previous years).

I thought the Hennessy sponsorship worked brilliantly, The Midnight Circus was visually brilliant and the sound + lighting systems were sensational at almost every stage/ venue, along with Hennessy Sound Lounge being a brilliant replacement visually, sound wise and in almost all ways to Wonderlust previous years. Also Seeming to have taken over from the Absolut bar which is not great loss really. In general, it was visually brilliant with the Hennessy sponsorship along with Bulmers working really well as well as both having good drink, although more premium prices than some festivals which I was perfectly okay with paying due to the free flow system.

I thought the comedy lineup was decent considering Vodaphone seemed to have dropped their sponsorship (as with Forbidden Fruit and a number of other festivals it seems) and thought they made the slight scale-down work very well for the festival in many ways.

What could have been done better? As constructive criticism, it goes without saying, the lineup. At the same time, it did have a very decent lineup minus it missing maybe two large headlining acts and maybe one or two smaller ones considering the recent unfortunate hyper-inflation-like scenarios around artist booking fees (it probably wont ever have as large acts as years ago unfortunately due to this, see Bestival bankruptcy case for example). I also noticed the increase in quality of a number of acts I seen in the Midnight Circus was a surprise, maybe just right place/ right time (although every year this festival highlights many great but quite unknown acts). Another small bit of criticism was Reckless in Love, I loved the position however not sure if it was visually as good as some years, it was a lot different and less unique, just artistically may have preferred previous years, but not a major complaint it still worked well. I also liked the old area where Reckless in Love was, might be nice to put another stage there if possible (if they ever scale up again).

Overall a brilliant festival, great atmosphere, great visually, great musically, and will definitely be attending next year if at all possible and hope the team are already at work securing acts.
24-06-2019, 23:55   #667
keithkk16

Unreal weekend and probably the most fun one for me after 5 years of going in a row. All the Irish hip hop acts put on a great show on Friday night in Midnight circus, tent was rammed for each one of them and the power cut during Kneecap was mental! Everyone thought they got cancelled and loads of people stormed the stage with security nowhere to be seen Eventually the power came back on and they got in 2 quick songs.

Loved the way Wreckless and love and the Hennessey sound lounge were set up this year, proper dj stages with proper sound and visuals. Only thing I didn't like that stood out was the Henney bar beside midnight cucus, it looked so out of place like a big massive advertisement, but sure it was expected when Absolut weren't there this year. Maybe I was more up for it this year, but I thought the atmosphere was better than last. Seeing a lot more stages fill out quicker. The music didn't go on much past 4am each night were other years it's gone on to 5 and 6 so I was glad I bought a speaker for campsite sessions.

Unpopular opinion on here probably, but I thought the Blaze were a bit meh.. we had more fun seeing AE Mak just before them in the woods.
Highlights for me were
Fri: Kneecap, Jafaris, Pillow Queens, IAMDDB and Sevensol
Sat: TPM, Meltybrains, Confidence Man(best of the wk) Ssion, Coely, Sleford Mods, Mister Saturday Night and Mother DJs
Sunday:Dream Wife, Kate Tempest, OShun, AE Mak and Mano and Meave B2b to finish.

I was so stoned at Kate Tempest I think I cried a little bit

Last edited by keithkk16; 25-06-2019 at 05:23.
25-06-2019, 09:31   #668
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
As I said - ATN has taken what remained of the lineup space for other festivals. The vast majority of artists are now locked up with either Pod or Festival Republic and can't be booked by anyone else. There's no way to compete financially either - those are behemoths in those terms.

So what can a smaller festival with a less guaranteed ticket revenue actually do?
I wonder whether exclusive arrangements are costing them so much that they are losing money? EP is profitable but FR generally make a loss, and POD have had skme concerns on this front too. Could it be that its a great time to be an established artist, but a terrible time for everyone else, and we will see large festivals struggle to break even and small festivals struggle to book decent bands?
25-06-2019, 09:51   #669
hugeglobe

3rd year going and I think it was my favourite yet. Smaller crowd size was definitely noticable on Friday but it didn't take away from the atmosphere. Found myself going ending back up in the Hennessey tent each night, what a set up. That Hatchett soundsystem wow. Thought the crowd did well to battle through the rain on the Sunday, didn't see many people leaving early because of it and in a lot of cases it added to the atmopshere. While there was some disappointment over the lineup I think in a lot of cases it allowed Irish talent to really shine through this year, quite eye opening.

Highlights:

Friday: Kneecap packing out the Midnight Circus tent at 6pm and smashing it; Moxie - started half an hour late but well worth waiting around, don't think anyone really left the packed Arbutus Yarns area while they were sorting things out?

Saturday: Vic Crezee; Mister Saturday Night; Confidence Man; Junior Brother

Sunday: Monolink; Sim Simma; Donna Leake (gig of the weekend, there was such an amazing energy in that tent); Sassy J
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2019, 09:55   #670
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyskeleton View Post
I wonder whether exclusive arrangements are costing them so much that they are losing money? EP is profitable but FR generally make a loss, and POD have had skme concerns on this front too. Could it be that its a great time to be an established artist, but a terrible time for everyone else, and we will see large festivals struggle to break even and small festivals struggle to book decent bands?
I've posted it before on this thread, and others have mentioned it too, but the price that artists charge has gone up very rapidly. Live fees are the only dependable income since the switch to streaming fairly heavily killed off sales profits.

As for the various companies, I guess that was my point before - Festival Republic can afford to make losses because they're owned by the company that owns Ticketmaster. Pod, I don't know the background of, but they have such a diverse event portfolio where something like Metropolis or Forbidden Fruit can probably prop up ATN. A lot of festival gigs are just teasers for more profitable solo shows in Dublin later in the year too.

There's just no way for a relatively independent company like Body and Soul to compete with money like that.

And we all know that bigger artists tend to remain 'exclusive' to whatever top level event organisers are usually booking them. If EP books an artist, you're unlikely to see them appear at any other Irish festival for years.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 11:26   #671
MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav09 View Post
... considering the recent unfortunate hyper-inflation-like scenarios around artist booking fees (it probably wont ever have as large acts as years ago unfortunately due to this, see Bestival bankruptcy case for example).
cheers, i googled that bestival bankruptcy and what bands were owed, pretty interesting. london grammar owed £175k from bestival 2018. is that how much they cost?! i thought they'd be way less, in around the £50k mark. they hardly move the needle on ticket sales
25-06-2019, 12:17   #672
Peesh89

Fantastic weekend had! Myself and the group I was with actually really liked the lesser amount of people.. sometimes on the Sunday when more people arrive it can be hard moving through places but it was all very pleasant this year.

Three gigs we went to had sound problems - modeselektor, cupcakke and the blaze but it didn't stop any fun! Food was great, the pizzas from the place opposite midnight circus (they had a lil sit down place beside) were out of this world and always love The Cranky Yankee corn dogs at festivals.

Loved the new space for reckless in love, was a great meeting point to just say we'll see you at the bar on the right..and the Hennessy Lounge was great, Sim Simma on Sunday was delish.
Krider and Dorfmeister were mind blowing, King Kong Company and The Blaze were in my highlights too, Parra for Cuva was great I know it was a late addition but I think a bad time slot to have him on.

Security became a bit of an issue on Sunday night/Monday morning in Us and You... The fence between the two campsites was opened in a few places and security people didn't seem to mind. There was a few undesirables about opening people's tents around us "just looking for a few leftover cans". We stopped a guy getting in to a friend's tent but he just continued to hang around so we were all a bit uneasy. Whereas on Saturday security stopped one of our group on a walk to the toilets to check he had an us and you wrist band.

We left at half eight on the Monday morning and the car park was already getting a bit dodgy with the mud... Hope it didn't get as bad as a few years ago with tractors pulling people out!

Also... Late sunday night, maybe about half one actually, we could hear a DJ playing Tourist - Run, anyone know who/where it was coming from?
(3) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 13:45   #673
mimimcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peesh89 View Post
Food was great, the pizzas from the place opposite midnight circus (they had a lil sit down place beside) were out of this world
Was delighted to see this place was here, at ATN last year we pretty much lived on their pizzas, they're delicious
I think there was a second stall of theirs across from the orchard lounge..

Did anyone go see Fonda?
We were heading past the orchard lounge when they were starting and there wasn't a soul in the tent there was actually a guy outside trying to get people in the tent
Thanks from:
25-06-2019, 14:13   #674
Ferris_Bueller

Sounds like a good few tents were robbed from the Us & You campsite looking at some of the posts in the Overheard at Body & Soul facebook page.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 14:39   #675
Korvanica

Send a message via MSN to Korvanica
Was looking forward to EMBRZ all weekend. When we arrive at the entrance to the woods (around 12:45 or 1am, it was closed off. Anyone have any ideas why?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion