Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leisure Battery Charging system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Ah sure, pop into an envelope. I’ll send you my address.:cool:

Hopefully I have the right shunt here...[*rummage#]...you'll really hate me if I send you the wrong one. Good luck with it, I nearly hammer calibrated it twice.

Ta-da

440363.jpg

All there. Take your pic of shunts. The brassy* one has an M6 hole and a M8 hole the silvery** one has two M8s.

They're both 250A 75mV as is the meter.

*Not brass
    **Not silver

Ok well you spoil me for choice lol. In that case I’ll go for silver. It looks shiny and more futuristic. Brass just reminds me of a 1920s Art Deco telephone exchange. There I’ve said it. Brass is a dull metal!

Dull yes, decent conductor though. I found some BZP hardware that came with the shunt I'll include these too but I'd recommend chucking them for stainless or brass because they're already showing signs of galvanic corrosion and will only cause you problems.

• Advertisement

Battery monitor arrived today in the post Liam. Cheers. I popped it in this afternoon. Will test more extensively at a later stage. All I can say for now is it measures battery voltage accurately. It is indicating there is a charging current of 1Amp when no charge is present. Hopefully just a case of following the calibration procedure. Will investigate.

Just had a quick glance at the calibration instructions. It mentions a 33V source. Awkward but doable. It then mentions, now get this, that I draw a 200Amp load! Really! Holy xxxx!

Ok, out with the inverter, hair dryer and some serious copper! Actually I couldn't possibly insert my fluke ammeter as suggested with its tiny probe wires. I could just work quickly. The fluke probes won't even get a chance to warm up. Or maybe I could connect the fluke with jump leads. I'm getting scared.

Edit: Scrap that. Fluke 87 only measures up to 20 Amps. Maybe I can borrow a clamp meter

I think I even have the Chinglish "manual" for it...not that it'll help at all because it's completely misleading.

Ah yes. This is why I binned it. Took me 2 days to cal it to only be 400mA off and then I pressed the wrong button weeks later and had to start over.

Don't bother with the shorting wires that'll lead you up the garden path. Just use the installation to get your zero (min) and 20A (max.) readings and keep faddling until you get it. Don't bother with a 200A. You can try a larger max load see if it helps but I didn't.

When the calibration menu freezes, hard reset (power-cycle) and start over.

You need a DC clamp meter not a clamp meter.
    The Fluke 87 is only rated 20A for 30 seconds after that you'll be wanting a very expensive fuse.

Yes I had already concluded that I will not be attempting to draw anything near 200A. Besides, I can’t see myself ever drawing more than 10A in normal usage so I have settled on attempting to calibrate for 20. If it is accurate in that range (0 - 20) that’s good enough for me.

I even had to think about how I might draw 20A. I don't have dummy loads lying about, but I do have a hefty and long Belden multicore data cable coiled up. It has a thick aluminum braided screen. A quick end to end resistance check on the screen indicated it might just be in the range I’m looking for. I did test it across a 6 volt battery and it draws 10 Amps - actually 8A but the battery voltage dropped to 5V as it is on the way out. So more by luck than design, I have my dummy load.

I even had to think about how I might draw 20A. I don't have dummy loads lying about,
    Inverter?
    Fridge?
    230V fridge on inverter + 12Volt fridge = 20A
    but I do have a hefty and long Belden multicore data cable coiled up. It has a thick aluminum braided screen. A quick end to end resistance check on the screen indicated it might just be in the range I’m looking for.

Sounds melty. Car headlamps? ..they're supposed to be melty.

• Advertisement

Fridge on inverter and 12 volts - good idea. It’s not too practical for me to run inverter power to fridge. I might just stick with my coiled cable. I did connect it to a 12 volt battery already (not the leisure battery) and it pulls 20 amps. No smoke, no heat, and not much sparking, so it should be fine.

It’s not too practical for me to run inverter power to fridge.

It'd be more practical to have inverter power feeding your fridge than 12V. :p

Plug the hook-up lead into the inverter? [After turning off battery charger]
    I might just stick with my coiled cable. I did connect it to a 12 volt battery already (not the leisure battery) and it pulls 20 amps. No smoke, no heat, and not much sparking, so it should be fine.

blank-face-emoji-apps-we-need.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

No smoke, no heat, and not much sparking, so it should be fine.

P = I^2R

20 * 20 * 0.6 = 240w

P = I^2R

20 * 20 * 0.6 = 240w

Ah yes, but that's 240w spread across 200 feet of cable. I've run tests, I'm not too concerned that my very long resistor will not work. What I am concerned about is the limited time I have to run a high current through my Fluke meter. This is my dilemma really. The Fluke meter has a 100A internal fuse. This is surely what is passing the current. I am guessing that the limit imposed by Fluke for passing 20 amps for a maximum of 30 seconds is a practical guideline based on heat dissipation of the meter. Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to push it. 30 seconds might be long enough to calibrate.

442329.jpg

Here is my setup rig. What are we looking at? Basically a long cable used for the load test, complete with crocodile clips and connectors that enable me to connect to battery with Fluke meter inserted for current measurement, and facility to omit Fluke meter, all with rocker switch to make and break the circuit.

442330.jpg

Here is the circuit powered and a current reading of 22.43 amps. Not wishing to leave this circuit powered for too long, I switch it off and remove the Fluke so that I can power up again for a longer period of time to see how hot things could get after a few minutes.

442331.jpg

So initially temperature read 23.7 degrees and battery voltage 12.62.

442332.jpg

And after 5 minutes temperature rises to over 30 degrees at 12.23V. That's warm enough thank you. I shouldn't need to keep it going any longer. I should pointy out this is still not my leisure battery, just a battery for testing my load.
    It'd be more practical to have inverter power feeding your fridge than 12V. :p

Yeah well I still might. I might even settle for half the load with just the fridge on 12V should the Fluke let me down during calibrating. Will give this a go over the next day or two. :eek:

Here is the circuit powered and a current reading of 22.43 amps.

Blimey that's a good meter!
    Driving her like a rental.
    That's warm enough thank you. I shouldn't need to keep it going any longer.

Get worried around 50°C

Yeah well I still might. I might even settle for half the load with just the fridge on 12V should the Fluke let me down during calibrating. Will give this a go over the next day or two. :eek:

Swap the £10 HRC fuse for fuse wire. Cheaper than hi-tech fuses or new meters.

HRC is for >400V

Swap the £10 HRC fuse for fuse wire. Cheaper than hi-tech fuses or new meters.

Good suggestion, beats the ‘nail for a fuse’ approach. At this stage I sprinkle a little salt on Flukes guidelines for drawing high currents for 30 seconds. I know pulling 23 amps for under a minute at a time and allowing rest periods in between, will be grand.

So went through the calibration process this evening. There were times when I cursed and blinded, convinced the battery monitor is broken. When trying to increment and decrement voltage and current values, and either nothing happens or the parameter appears to change randomly, then it’s e-bin.com right? But I persevered and came to the conclusion that I was not applying an external power supply to the monitor as the instructions suggest. Between disconnecting power from the leisure battery and switching to an external source (different battery) between all the resets and beginning the process all over again, I concluded that I must have forgotten to switch to external power during calibrating at several stages, and I think that does matter.

In the end I was happy. I got to put my dummy load in circuit and I got the monitor to agree with the Fluke. Roughly that is, when pulling 20 odd amps from a battery, it s a moveable feast. The battery voltage continues to drop and therefore the current does too. So I adjust the monitor to match a value that is falling and hope it is within a reasonable range ~ 500mv, across two displays who’s refresh rates are God only knows.

Currently I am now charging the leisure battery to 100% with a Maypole Charger. When that tells me it is 100%, I will then tell the battery monitor it is 100%. I noticed when I connected EHU to start the charging, my Zig unit wouldn’t power on. I have thinking about keeping the Maypole connected when on EHU and scrapping the Zig. This might just make my mind up for me.

So went through the calibration process this evening. There were times when I cursed and blinded, convinced the battery monitor is broken. When trying to increment and decrement voltage and current values, and either nothing happens or the parameter appears to change randomly, then it’s e-bin.com right? But I persevered....

Fair play! bowdown.gif
    No E-bin comes later when you press the wrong button sequence and then have to start all over. tomatosplat.gif

Good meters (>€100) work outtov the box by the way. ..just sayin' whistling.gif

100% charge is what the specific gravity tells you. Not what a meter, and definately not what a charger says.
    But you are down to ±10% error margin I'd expect.
    FLA have a non linear efficiency, it'll manifest as drift over time.

A guesstimate of actual charge will suffice if the device can report charge in and out with a reasonable degree of accuracy. If it gives me a good picture of my power useage without EHU then it will serve some purpose.

My next step is to go through all my appliances one by one to see why my parasitic current is so high. I noticed this while installing the monitor. It’s up at about 400mA.

If it gives me a good picture of my power usage without EHU then it will serve some purpose.fast recharge.

That's it that's what they do best and charger performance info.

Power a laptop from an inverter then power it from a car charger if you wanna see an interesting comparison.
    My next step is to go through all my appliances one by one to see why my parasitic current is so high. I noticed this while installing the monitor. It’s up at about 400mA.

Yes that is high. Mine is 70mA. Less is more.
    Instrument cluster usually, tank monitors, fixed alarms, radio.

So now I have a decision to make. As my Zig X-3 mains charger looks to have packed it in, I thought I might replace it with my Maypole smart charger. I had been thinking about this anyway. The alternator or the Zig is never going to give the battery the complete multistage charging the Maypole promises to, even though the solar charging, with the right conditions, should.

This post began with the question of suitability of multiple charging sources. I came across an interesting discussion HERE on another forum. It throws in to debate, the question of whether staged charging should be used at all while on EHU, as the effectiveness of consuming battery power while trying to multistage charge is dubious, and therefore a simple float charger is all that is needed. Interesting debate in that link. Both sides seem convincing.

It seems the smartest way at all might be a single charger which accepts charge from multiple sources but also supplies load current. I had thought about feeding mains supplied DC to the solar charger. Then the Zig would feed the solar charger on EHU , as well as the PV panel anyways, and even the alternator for that matter. But even this arrangement would not be aware of load current.

Does it all really matter at he end of the day? Its only a battery after all. As long as I am not running out of power to run my pumps or lights, or needing to replace my battery every year, it's not life or death. But the question remains. Do I whip out the Zig, put it on the bench and tempt to resuscitate or is it for the bin?

• Advertisement

Float charger? Disagree. I use my battery.

Simple solution is a good load compensating charger like a Ctek, ProNautic, Xantrex, MasterVolt, Victron, Sterling. Make sure it has ample capacity to power your shore 12volt loads and have 5% > 15% overhead of your battery capacity rating for battery charging. eg. 200Ah battery, 6A nominal running load = 25A Charger.

Low end generic brand or automotive chargers are going to give you problems.
    If it has temperature compensation it's a good sign it's safe to leave on a battery indefinately and that it's a well designed charger.

Make it exclusive to solar charging.

Feeding solars controllers works great, you need a current limited input up to the task that doesn't exceed 50% your charge controllers rating or use MPPT and some passive protection is advised.

Sure a device that take inputs from all sources would be great but nobody makes one that's fit for purpose. Unless you go into >1kVA inverter combi charger changeover jobs with solar inputs land.

Does it matter at the end of the day? Replacing a battery every few years is a very economic way to power a motorhome. Always having a battery one foot in the grave...maybe that's annoying maybe it's not...

I whip out working Zigs. I wouldn't be resurrecting any.

I whip out working Zigs.

Liam, this could be your Boards signature! :D

My Zig unit seems to have recovered. I didn’t have to do anything really. I just hooked up to mains so I could plug up my Maypole charger. The Zig was switched off and wasn’t working as far as I was concerned. Before I did any charging I concluded that the presence of the Zig was the reason for my high parasitic current draw. A couple of power cycles of the Zig seemed to kick start it again. Parasitic current now down to 137mA.

The Zig hangs on by the skin of its teeth. I don’t reckon I’ll hook the Maypole up as permanent EHU charger + PSU for reasons you mention Liam i.e. not a noteable brand, not load compensating, just a cheap auto charger, fine for intermittent charging.

My Zig unit seems to have recovered.

Is that good news?:confused:
    Before I did any charging I concluded that the presence of the Zig was the reason for my high parasitic current draw. A couple of power cycles of the Zig seemed to kick start it again. Parasitic current now down to 137mA.

So removing it will improve battery performance!
    :pac: Case closed!

It seems the smartest way at all might be a single charger which accepts charge from multiple sources but also supplies load current.

Found one from the land of Oz.

redarc-1050x824.jpg

Overlanders seem to like them. Can't comment, never tested one, the external temp sensor and a 14.8V set-point speaks volumes to it's credibility though.
    The fact it comes with a real monitor is also quite telling. Most of the market offerings would lose sales hand over fist if they did that because you'd see how poor the unit is outtov the gates without having to wait for your third battery replacement for the penny to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Has anyone ever looked at the CTEK D250SA and SmartPass 120 combo?
    They look like they might be a pretty handy solution to many of the problems with onboard battery management.

Hmm interesting..
    Ctek make a good product but I don't especially like them. I find them overpriced and conservative.

The Smartpass 120A is a Merlin Smartbank inna fancy wrapper.
    The DS250A is an over- cold-rated Sterling B2B 20A with an odd MPPT solar charge controller attached.

It's not going to help with a poor performing mains charger/maintainer/battery boiler.

Having a look at the manual tripped the BS detector a few times.
    • Power reduction: 30°C 16A, 50°C 13A
    That's a 13A continuous unit! After 30mins most electronics' thermal design point is ≥50°C
    Ctek wrote:
    • SMARTPASS 120 supplies consumers from the alternator instead of from the service battery while the service battery is charging, which permits faster charging.

That's a naturally occuring property of a higher voltage source, in a correctly wired system the alternator powers loads never the battery. It's a fundamental principle of electricity, not something I would be claiming as an inbuilt feature.
    Ctek wrote:
    TIP 6 Heavy current consumers (more than 80A) must be connected directly to the service or starter battery.

That's an 80A continuous unit with 120A surge and 350A instantaneous.
    They're relying on the alternator to throttle before the unit melts...yeah why not..that's perfectly ok...but it's an 80A unit! onpatrol.gif

Other things to be aware of;
    • The Voc of the solar input forces you to fit expensive 12v panels because it can't handle bigger. The whole point of MPPT in my opinion is so you can use half the price domestic panels.
    • The smartpass is not a boosting unit. So you'll never get 120A from it, the DS250 is only boosting 20A (derate to 13A after 30 mins) after that you are still relying on the not so useful alternator regulator. As such it will still require compensatory cable routing and gauge and possibly an external alternator regulator to get close.
    • The temperature compensation is too conservative. 23 mV/°C from 25°. Standard is 30mV/°C
    • 14.7V setpoint conservative & non-programmable. (14.8V + 30mV/°C kicks bottom)
    • Absorption timeout 12hours = 95% charged for flooded batts = diminishing returns.
    • Engine battery trickle charging feature, could be a double-edged sword. I'd call it a parasitic load, maybe it's useful to some.
    • 13A continuous charge + alternator on a 300Ah battery?

No meter...no surprise there. No mains regulation other than to throttle other inputs.

Other than that they are using the wrong symbol for the ground and calling it an earth with an earth symbol depicted. An earth is an earth potential conductor that is staked to the planet earth with an electrode of some kind. A Ground is a reference point in an electrical system that is grounded to a chassis. A negative is an ungrounded or floating 0V potential with reference to the positive.

They can be and often are all connected at the same point but they are not the same thing.

Sure it works, and probably well enough for some, apples to apples though it's an overpriced half-a-solution.
    Yer paying premium for the BS marketing.

In terms of versatile, high performing multi-input BMS from the manual alone I'd give it a speculative 6/10 where 0 is a Zig/Calira/blok-thing and 9 is my home-brew system*. :P

* when it's finished :o

Here ya go CJ.

s-l300.jpg

All the major features of that Ctek DS250 except better, faster, more powah, higher IP rating and comes with a meter. :cool:
    They do electromechanical and solid state combiners too but used Smartbanks and contactors are cheap and cheerful, I don't think it's necessary though if you are using solar with it.

Found one from the land of Oz.

Looks good but look at the price :( . I would like to see a unit that also distributed all load power. This would cut out the need to to install a shunt. Not a bid deal I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Looks like a nice package especially if you get a friensly expat to hike it home for you. Certainly more attractive than the sterling offerings for the money. Submersible spells potted to me though which always makes me hesitate as its basically irreparable if anything fails wonder what the aftersales is like.

Speaking of reparable, the redarc stuff never seems to show up for parts or repair on ebay going by the forums they seem to have a policy of replacing failed units well outside warranty. Which sounds like a major plus to me.

Advertisement