Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Quote a Day........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

“One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

“Do not waste what remains of your life in speculating about your neighbors, unless with a view to some mutual benefit. To wonder what so-and-so is doing and why, or what he is saying, or thinking, or scheming—in a word, anything that distracts you from fidelity to the ruler within you—means a loss of opportunity for some other task.”

Marcus Aurelius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
    Don't be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results of other people's thinking.
    Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.
    And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.

Steve Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

p1SQlf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

p1SQlf.jpg

trtoI4w.png

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families. - Tennessee Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

all art is quite useless , according to Oscar Wilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

This came up on my 'Momentum' programme today and I really like it (author unknown)

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Always liked 'The Man in the Arena', an excerpt from a speech by Theodore Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat".

• Advertisement

“She gave me eyes, she gave me ears; and humble cares, and delicate fears; A heart, the fountain of sweet tears; And love and thought and joy.”

– William Wordsworth

“The trouble with war (modern war) is that it gives no chance to kill the right people.”

- Ezra Pound

Life has to be lived forwards, but can only be understood backwards.

Kierkegaard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wolfgirl

"If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving be me."
    W. H. Auden

I've been thinking about this quote a lot because I'm not sure I fully understand, I've always thought that being more loving means being more vulnerable...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me

C.S Lewis

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being."

- Carl Jung

"The ancient theologists knew that we could form no positive idea of infinity, whether of power, space, or time; it being fleeting and fugitive, and eluding the understanding by a continued and boundless progression. The only notion we have of it is from the addition or division of finite things, which suggest the idea of infinite, only from a power we feel in ourselves, multiplying and dividing without end."

- Sir Richard Payne Knight

Making a big life change is pretty scary,
    But do you know what's even scarier?

Regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me.

W. Somerset Maugham, in Of Human Bondage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

"And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- Hamlet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

When a man speaks of his strength, he whispers his weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;

from 'If' by Rudyard Kipling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A couple from the above .Not my favourite Blake book ,but thought provoking all the same.
    “The power of men like me does not come solely from our ability to kill--which is no small talent in itself, true, but neither is it as rare as gold. No, the true source of our power is so obvious it sometimes goes unnoticed for what it is: our power comes from other men's lack of courage. There is even less courage in this world than here is talent for killing. Men like me rule because most men are faint of heart in the shadow of death.”
    “Never did I fight for the poor. I fought against the rich--which of course isn't at all the same thing. In any case, the fighting was the point. You don't fight to become free--to fight is to be free. A man with a gun and the will to use it can't be mastered, he can only be killed.”

I like these from the Author himself.
    “If you're afraid to defend your convictions because you might get your ass kicked for it, you're not really fit to advocate for them.”
    “Men tend to remember the best things about the women they've loved and to forget the worst, which is why so many men make the same mistakes with women again and again. Women tend to forget the best things about the men they've loved and to remember the worst, which is why so many women become bitter about men.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

“You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.”
    ― Frank McCourt, Angela's Ashes

"We are what we love. If we love a stone, then we are a stone, if we love a person, then we are that person, if we love God - I hesitate to go on, for if I said that we would then be God, you might want to stone me. But let me refer you to the Scriptures."

- St. Augustine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

"This is a time for us to remember that in the name of religion more people have died than in all the wars and natural calamities put together.
    Now, more than ever, we must understand that the purpose of religion is not to separate us.
    True faiths don’t preach hatred and killing, nor did any of the prophets.
    It is the people who interpret the scriptures who create the divisions. Division comes if we put our ego into the teachings of these religions.
    Let us strive to be free of that kind of egotism”
    - Sri Swami Satchidananda

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

" No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." - Robin Williams DPS

In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life:it goes on.

Robert Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Music brings a warm glow to my vision, thawing mind and muscle from their endless wintering."

Haruki Murakami

• Advertisement

"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this."

- Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

Advertisement