Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leisure battery

Comments

corktina wrote: »
    (I'm still assuming it's a relay....)

Most of the simple (four terminal) relays I've seen in vehicles have the same numbers on the terminals. 85, 86, 87, and 30. According to this diagram.

2009-01-18_204946_ASD_Relay.jpg

I only remember the sequence (3 in a row and one odd),. Google seems happy enough to verify the same numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

here am de news....

tried another relay, couldn't hear or feel that click either (but then again I am officially deaf and my hearing aids might not pick it up)

so I re-did a couple of connections and now have a live signal wire running from the back of the Alternator as original....I'm going to assume that the relay is working and leave well alone. Now plugged into mains with fridge on....battery meter should stay the same , should it not if the charger is working

Thx for the help btw, much appreciated , clarifies the thoughts when you bounce them off someone else

here am de news....

tried another relay, couldn't hear or feel that click either (but then again I am officially deaf and my hearing aids might not pick it up)

You should be able to feel it working too if you put a finger on the back of it.
    so I re-did a couple of connections and now have a live signal wire running from the back of the Alternator as original....I'm going to assume that the relay is working and leave well alone. Now plugged into mains with fridge on....battery meter should stay the same , should it not if the charger is working

If you see the leisure battery voltage rise when the engine is running then it's working. Halfway there then.
    Fused every live I hope and both batteries?

Fridge set to mains or 12v? It it's set to 12v the battery won't charge very quickly as the charger will just be powering the fridge really.
    On mains charge the voltage should be slowly creeping up from 13.8v to 14.4v/14.7v depending on the charge algorithm as the battery get's topped up. Once it's charged it should drop to a consistent 13.2v/13.6v float voltage.
    You'll find alternator charge is significantly more aggressive.
    If the battery is weak then it may fluctuate between 12.8v and 13.2v/13.6v on mains float.

I find one of these quite handy for quick reading, they're not highly accurate (+/- 0.3v) but they're cheap and a bit more specific than what you're using at the moment.
    If you wire a handy 12v cig. lighter port (with 5v USB port for phones) into the back you can read all the batteries separately and together; engine off dash port = starter battery voltage (if cigarette lighter socket is always on), engine on = linked batteries combined voltage, engine off living quarters port = leisure battery voltage.

dc12v-24v-car-audio-voltmeter-size-same-as-car-cigarette-lighter.jpg
    Thx for the help btw, much appreciated , clarifies the thoughts when you bounce them off someone else

:)
    No worries, I'm looking for any excuse to avoid this feckin' tin worm...hate painting I do.

fridge is 12v/gas only...no mains,,,so I'm probalby using more battery power than the chrger is supplying BUT it is working at least now!

Road test called for I think

It's a 7A fridge and a 15A charger.
    Still though I'd advise letting the battery charge up and drop to float before turning on the fridge. If you load the battery that heavily while charging you'll fool the charger into thinking it's not taking charge. So the charge will be suspended at high current near 14v which will boil your battery and destroy it pretty quickly.
    Is the battery getting hot/making bubbling noises?

If you've been running the fridge like this a long time it's likely you have gassed off a lot of the electrolyte.
    Maybe it might need some topping up of the electrolyte with de-ionised water. There's usually level markers visible once you remove the cell caps (warning; danger acid and all that yadda yadda).

• Advertisement

yeah the frideg knocked the voltage back to 9v with the charger supposedly running....fridge off now and I'll be able to tell if the charger is working then...frdige was working initially today

solution is to get the gas going but it's an ancient fridge taht needs work, probably a new 3 way would be the answer, but finding one small enough mighr not be easy

By the way your fridge manual say's it works on mains with the same element as 12v.

I still haven't much faith in your leisure battery. It'll only get worse though the longer you leave it below 12.2v.

I still haven't much faith in your leisure battery. It'll only get worse though the longer you leave it below 12.2v.

probably right, can't harm it if it's already n it's way out

....i don't understand the significance of the "manual" post...is it a 3 way afterall?

Are you saying the fridge should run when the mains are plugged in? doesn't seem to

i

oops, no it doesn't that manual covers 2 fridges. You have the 12v/gas version. Underlined "manual" is a hyperlink.

• Advertisement

ah thought so....now on 12v+, both batteries...i'll leave it charge until this evening and then see if it drops back overnight

probably right, can't harm it if it's already n it's way out

You can actually. Once they start boiling they release hydrogen which is an explosive gas at somewhere around 7% to air. Once batteries go bad it's best to just recycle them and be rid of them.
    As I understand it though I'm not sure you've given it a chance to fully charge and recover so it's hard to tell how bad it is.

ha snap!...grand so...suppose this exhaust won't paint itself...

You could make your fridge run on mains with a suitable 12v transformer.

PS-SW5LPS2010.jpg

All you need to do is run a mains feed to the transformer and then run the 12vDC output to a splice in the battery fridge input with a two position 6 pole switch (same as your dash meter switch) (Pos. 1 = battery +ive and -ive, Pos 2 = transformer output @12v +ive and -ive).

You could use relays too but it'll get messy I'd recommend just using a good 10amp DC rated switch.

I've got paint on my keyboard now :rolleyes:.

[Edit: I'm having second thoughts on this approach, might be best to establish how well the fridge performs set to 12v before further investment down that track. There's a possibility it's not effective enough to warrant the endeavor.]

well, I charged all afternoon and evening on the mains. When I unplugged it both batteries were reading around the 12v mark and were unchanged this morning.

I then went for a 10 mile drive with the fridge on. Leisure battery went down immediately to about 11v, main battery at almost 13v. Checked fridge after 10 miles, warm still, no sign of life. Turned off fridge, leisure battery recovered to about 11.5 or 12v on way home.

Clearly the leisure battery, whilst it may well be weak and old (like me) charged from the mains but was not charging from the alternator, which is most odd. I also think my fridge may be knackered, it's drawing power and producing no cold, you would think when driving, it would be running on the alternator.

I'm going to try the "jump leads" approach, (bypass the relay) see what that does...

actually i replaced the relay which is now working.went for a spin , marked improvement in voltage...not a peep out of frdge though....back on mains charge now

If you had the fridge off while charging yesterday and your leisure battery meter was showing >13v while on mains charge I can confidently say your leisure battery is dead and probably beyond salvation.

I hear you can get €0.50 per kilo for battery scrap in the right place but I have yet to confirm this myself.

If you are getting a new one I don't recommend any of the sealed ones as they're not designed to take what most alternators throw at them and they're non-serviceable.
    I hear Numax/Exide are good value for money, and durable. Personally I'd rather 2 Trojan 6v in series or similar golf cart battery as these
    can take some real abuse. If you want the best though it's gotta be forklift batteries.

For a long lasting leisure battery it ought to be a deep cycle semi-traction or mono-block, full traction (mega-bucks). I'd steer clear from AGM/gel types as they're too expensive and easy to destroy.
    I'd see what your alternator kicks out accurately (it could be anything between 14.0v < 15.1v) and get a battery that can accept this, see the battery charge requirements on the manufacturers web-site. If the manufacturer doesn't specify bulk, absorption, float and rate of temperature compensation charge levels then I would disregard the company as unprofessional (that's just me though...most people aren't so picky).
    It would be a good idea to compare this to the compatibility of your mains charger too. Ideally the max voltage for all charge stages ought to match the battery's acceptance limitation on all generators.

If you want to disregard all that then I hear Varta can cut some mustard too (only sealed versions as far as I've seen).
    I can't vouch for Lucas but I get the sense these are good upper middle of the range.

Battery sites;
    http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/
    http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/
    http://www.tayna.co.uk/Leisure-Batteries-C45.html

You can of course choose a cheap and cheerful car starter battery but it won't last as long as a deep cycle as it's designed only for large cranking loads not consistent discharge.

When you are picking a new one it's best to estimate your Ah usage between charges and double it, as to keep a healthy battery you must maintain it above 50% (12.2v). Or >12.4v would be even better.
    Depending on how you treat a wet cell battery you can get between 2 and 11 years service life.

actually i replaced the relay which is now working.

Fridge relay?

Alternator switched battery link relay was fixed yesterday, yes?
    went for a spin , marked improvement in voltage

That's probably more to do with a full charge yesterday than anything else.
    The alternator outputs the same at idle as it does driving, as long as the engine is running you don't have to drive it.
    ....back on mains charge now

I'd be cautious that you may have a bad or damaged cells in the leisure battery. Have a listen and see if you can hear it bubbling. You can also take off the cell caps and look for (big) bubbles (with goggles on etc.) if you don't think you'll be able to hear it. If it's boiling below 14.2v don't charge it anymore, get rid of it, it's a liability. If it gets really bad and dangerous it'll smell like bad eggs.

no the relay which links the two batteries when the engine is running.... i worked out it wasn't working after all. Improvement in voltage was only after i had changed relay

The battery may well be a problem but the fridge should work when the engine is running.... after 15 minutes, you should see some change surely?

no the relay which links the two batteries when the engine is running.... i worked out it wasn't working after all. Improvement in voltage was only after i had changed relay

Ah grand, good news then, I'd say there ought to be an improvement in voltage on Pos. 3
    and a reduction (reduction on alternator output...although still higher than standing voltage) on Pos. 1; when you link batteries their voltage will meet in the middle.

The battery may well be a problem but the fridge should work when the engine is running.... after 15 minutes, you should see some change surely?

Kindof, on a working system yes it would.
    Specifically when one of the two batteries (now linked with relay active) has 7amps to give it, it will work.

I'd go check that fridge fuse again, the reduction in volts due to low battery condition will raise the amps in the circuit.

• Advertisement

I got the fridge working with mains charger plugged in....voltage was holding it's own and fridge quite cold but then suddenly voltage collapsed to 9v and fridge stopped working . Can only really be a dodgy battery I guess not holding the charge and when the voltage dips below a certain point, I suppose the fridge cuts out. I'll go looking for a cheap battery I think...

Sound enough theory alright.

It usually takes about 4 hours for a fridge to reach temperature. If 12volt is doing it sufficiently then I think the transformer is the way forwards. Even with a new battery a 7Ah constant load will put the battery under serious pressure and interfere with your mains charger, overcharging your new battery. Not to mention what lights and mod cons. you will need.
    You could pop into Aidan and get the gas related side working too as another option.

ah I had forgotten Aidan, I assumed he was a garage...is he a gas fridge expert then?

Certified gas fridge expert, Pat Horan Motors. You could try PM though.

Deadly I just got my 3rd star :D

and just over an hour .voltage back to around 12v...

(PM sent to Aidan

Deadly I just got my 3rd star :D

all due to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi corktina, don't know where you are but if the clue is in your name give Leonard or Gabriel a shout at O'Connell Bros.. They have a good range of genuine leisure batteries as opposed to the imposters sold by some.

They will give you a definitive verdict on your battery and also probably check your wiring/relays/fuses but I don't expect they will know much about fridges.

I then went for a 10 mile drive with the fridge on. Leisure battery went down immediately to about 11v, main battery at almost 13v. Checked fridge after 10 miles, warm still, no sign of life. Turned off fridge, leisure battery recovered to about 11.5 or 12v on way home.

Clearly the leisure battery, whilst it may well be weak and old (like me) charged from the mains but was not charging from the alternator, which is most odd.

I don't know how I missed this entire section of evidence earlier. But you figured it out so all good.

If you have two different readings from your two batteries then you know they aren't linked and vice versa. Say Battery #1 is 12.8v and Battery #2 is 12.4v then when you link them they will be 12.6v.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by genuine leisure batteries Niloc? Semi-traction, or branded?
    What's an imposter? A starter with leisure written on it?

Advertisement