Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merc Sprinter conversion

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Happy days, our conversion is now officially a MTRCVAN :-), inspected and taxed by a nice lady in Naas, Kildare motor tax office yesterday. Grand total: €88 including motor tax for 12 months.

Basically they checked that we have enough standing room and sink/cooker. They noted the number of seats (went up from 3 to 5). Also existence of current insurance was verified. They took my VLC and said that the replacement will be posted back soon. Had to sign a form saying that all the equipment is as required by law.

The topic of weight was not raised, although I did make sure we were over the magical 3 tons with all the equipment onboard. Maybe the weight issue is only applicable on 1st licensing in Ireland and therefore does not apply on conversions of vans already registered in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Congrats, great result.

Just in time for the lovely summer we are going to get (I hope). Hopefully you'll have many happy miles with the new wagon.

Thanks OuterBombie, sure hope the same about the weather. So far this year has been pretty dry compared to 2007/8.

Hope I didn't jinx it now... :-) All the best for 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

class thread i really enjoyed reading mega kudos to you sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Hi,

Old thread I know, but if you are still around.

Great job, Had look at your pictures very nice and tidy.

Any Advice on installing windows?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments. We have been using the van quite a bit now and are very happy with it. There is some work left to do, e.g. the bathroom and wardrobe doors are (still) missing. B&Q are supposed to have nice louvre doors in stock now in required sizes.

About windows: Seitz specs give the exact measurements required and the radius at the corners. It's important to round the corners to minimise chance of a stress fractures of the sheet metal and painting the edges is a must too. I found a jigsaw with 24 tpi (or more) blade a good tool to cut out the apertures. Some masking tape is good idea especially at the corners to help avoiding damage to the paintwork.

Again the instructions tell you the minimum/maximum depth of wall. A timber frame around the wall was used to bring up the depth. To ensure there are no leaks non-setting mastic should be used inside the rubber seal at the outer edges of outer window frames.

The only real issue with our conversion is that the rear windows are a tad too low. This is combination of rather small height of them and the fact that the rear sofa/bed had to be a quite high to accommodate gas locker underneath (after the pictures were taken I raised the floor at the rear by about 10 cm for better seat comfort). If the windows were 10 cm higher up or the sofa lower down they would be perfect. They are okish as they are but to look out when sitting at the table requires some bending down.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

It did,

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mjcb

Hi all,

Looking for some advice...
    Considering buying 2003/2004 Merc Sprinter LWB. Need to have seating for 4 while driving. How difficult is it to put in extra seats? Would prefer @captains chairs' or similar.

Cheers:)

Seating for 4, are you planning to keep the standard three seat in the front?

It's quite easy to fit extra seats, just bolt through the floor making sure there's nothing directly underneath before. I would recommend choosing seats with integrated seatbelts as there is no provision for seat belt anchoring points at the rear of Sprinter. Also IMO, to minimise flexing of the floor panel it's a good idea to spread the load at the mount points using extra plates of steel around them. Just make sure to treat the floor panel with rust proofing before bolting it all together.

I got my seat from a VW Caravelle, but it is not an ideal choice due to the low height if it. Also, one the seatbelts is not integrated. The Sevel based vans (Jumper/Ducato/Boxer) have nice height double bench, but I could not find any in good nick from breakers at the time I was hunting for one. Not sure about seabelts in them. Good thing about a double seat is that it can be used as extra seating while stationary.

Edit: typo

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mjcb

Thanks SAMIH,

Ideally have 2 single seats up front including drivers & 2 or 3 bench seat behind with built in seat belts.
    I will need 1 double bed, 2 singles (bunks if necessary), toilet & small cooking area.
    Would LWB sprinter have enough room or should I look at other options?
    Any good websites for plans etc?
    I'm still at very early stages of planning, not sure yet if I would be better off buying completed project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

SAIMH

What is the GVW of your converted sprinter? Have you taken it to the weighbridge?

Just wondernig on the initial unlaiden weight, weight of the conversion and the GVW of the van, as I'm thinking of converting one myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coldsurfer

A massive thanks to Sami and Cir. I've been following this thread for awhile now but never took the time out to post - love yeer work! I've converted a 2004 311 and found your posts very helpful. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and will try help out like ye did in future.
    MJCB - 4 is comfortable in the sprinter, great van too. I'll post pictures of 4 berth soon.
    Big Mac, i can't remember my unladen, but converted unladen was 3100 and GVM is 3500. for details on vrt see thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055586705&page=2

coldsurfer

Big_Mac wrote: »
    SAIMH

What is the GVW of your converted sprinter? Have you taken it to the weighbridge?

Just wondernig on the initial unlaiden weight, weight of the conversion and the GVW of the van, as I'm thinking of converting one myself

Yeah, took mine to weighbridge in April and it was approx 2.8 tons when it was close to completion with empty tanks etc. I reckon it's approx 2.9 now when "complete".

coldsurfer wrote: »
    A massive thanks to Sami and Cir. I've been following this thread for awhile now but never took the time out to post - love yeer work! I've converted a 2004 311 and found your posts very helpful. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and will try help out like ye did in future.
    MJCB - 4 is comfortable in the sprinter, great van too. I'll post pictures of 4 berth soon.
    Big Mac, i can't remember my unladen, but converted unladen was 3100 and GVM is 3500. for details on vrt see thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055586705&page=2

coldsurfer

Great stuff Coldsurfer, hope you'll get good use for yours! Yeah, do post pictures.

BTW, got ours finally insured as a camper today with Dolmen. Off to France tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

samih wrote: »
    Great stuff Coldsurfer, hope you'll get good use for yours! Yeah, do post pictures.

BTW, got ours finally insured as a camper today with Dolmen. Off to France tomorrow.

Best of Luck on yer maiden trip.

2.8T. That should leave you will plenty of weight left over for packing stuff

Thanks guys - Appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Torinfleming

Hi there, I am in the process of trying to pick up a sprinter or vw lt to convert to a camper and would love to have a look at your final project and any plans ideas that you may have. Cheers for the help. Torin 0866494307

Advertisement