Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

The hat factory on Bohermore...

To answer the OP I doubt many of us have digital images of Galway in the 80s. You could try the Connacht Tribune office if you are really motivated - they probably have a good library. I doubt the service would be free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Taylors.jpg
    Wipes tear from eye

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Did anyone mention the Blackrock clothes store? it was just around the corner from the camera shop...they had one of the real big wooden horses...
    And Hills shoe shop, Liptons across from AIB shop St. The GTM supermarket across from Eason's, O'Connors TV shop was there after them...
    Five Star supermarket where the Great Outdoor shop is in Town...Where you got the Green Shield Stamps, back that time it was a 1000 books or more for a TV that weighed a Ton :D

The Olympic bar Domnicks St was a rough place in the late 70's...And Snatcher Currans for a drink anytime day or night...

Lot of changes over the last 30+ years so :)

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Taylors.jpg
    Wipes tear from eye

Mick, god rest the man was a nice bloke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I miss getting barred on a weekly basis by Seamus
    1millionpints.jpg
    (not me in the pic with him by the way)

• Advertisement

Gas man Mulligan, a gent, now there's a man who would have pictures of auld Galway, he's an excellent photographer, used to take loads of pictures in the 70's 80's...

Deffo the town is not the same, without places like this...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Hynes supermarket on Augustine St, where the dole office is now.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Hynes supermarket on Augustine St, where the dole office is now.

And the Hynes builders merchants on Merchants road, where the carpark is now, taken over by Buckleys, I think...
    Of Course McDonagh's shop On merchants Road, the one that ran around the corner up to the BOI on Eyre Sq....
    Mattie Burkes Carpets in Woodquay at the back of the Townhall beside the school...
    The Golden key Pub prospect Hill
    Green Acres Chipper Bohermore...loads more places...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Wimpy, Eglinton Street.
    Baker's Kitchen, Shop Street (opposite O'Brien's Newsagents).
    Hilton Burger at the Savoy.
    Town Hall Cinema.
    Furey's Shoes, Eglinton St (great shop for Doc Martin Boots).
    Pennys, where Supermacs is now in Eyre Sq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

A map would be wicked! would do but don t have photoshop at moment.
    My gosh savoy - then be with the days!

Actually this topic deserves its own web page!

was the donout place at end of quay street mentioned?
    Youth dishgos and buck rodgers!
    Ach way back when twas all fields and pack a smokes were bout a pound!

• Advertisement

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    A map would be wicked! would do but don t have photoshop at moment.
    My gosh savoy - then be with the days!

Actually this topic deserves its own web page!

was the donout place at end of quay street mentioned?
    Youth dishgos and buck rodgers!
    Ach way back when twas all fields and pack a smokes were bout a pound!

I, but you could by loose fags in Caufields at the bottom of Domnick St beside the canal...Fill up with sweets and head to the Estoria for a flick...

Small Lydon's beside O'Beirns chemist sold loose fags as well, used to buy them on the way to Tech, penny and a half if memory serves me right

Off out to the Castle hotel in salthill for the auld Disco and the odd flacking match..£5'er would get ya along way then..Salthill used to be some crack back then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i wasent even born :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I, but you could by loose fags in Caufields at the bottom of Domnick St beside the canal...Fill up with sweets and head to the Estoria for a flick...

Small Lydon's beside O'Beirns chemist sold loose fags as well, used to buy them on the way to Tech, penny and a half if memory serves me right

Off out to the Castle hotel in salthill for the auld Disco and the odd flacking match..£5'er would get ya along way then..Salthill used to be some crack back then..

With all due repect - U must be annnnncccient!:D

Its funny though how a couple of years so much can change and then another couple and another..
    caufields - was that a sweetshop with lots of yummys in window!? Heard my aunt talking about it actually gonna to forward her this link - she will be in her element!

Seriously though wouldnt a website of Galway - reeling in the years type thing be class?

awhir wrote: »
    i wasent even born :(

Ahh yer better off, there was no Internet (you could access easily) R Moblie phones back then, TV's gave you cancer, video recorders were the size of a small car, weighed about the same as well...going abroad on holidays ment a trip to Arann. If you were lucky...Yer not missing anything...:D

For got the IRA shop near the hospital, anybody else remember that, Supermacs is there now....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Can anyone tell me who was in the Westside shopping centre. 1st was Tesco. 2nd ????? 3rd Dunnes. There was someone in the middle before Dunnes but cannot remember who

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

H. Williams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

anyone remember the big fire at the farrah jeans factory?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

skelliser wrote: »

Yes, was living in the Rahoon flats at that time and saw it start, actually was one of, I would think, loads that called the fire brigade.

And when the Westside Tavern was actually called the Westside Tavern!

Ya I remember that, firemen were putting tons of water on the gas tanks at the front....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Weren't there a few fires. All supposedly conveniently timed before audits and the like...

Joe Public loves a good mystery blaze.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Weren't there a few fires. All supposedly conveniently timed before audits and the like...

Joe Public loves a good mystery blaze.

Back that time t'was Bonfire nite most nites in Westside....:)

Ran across Terry Smith in town last week, he used to keep the folks entertained with his Guitar outside the Estoria/Claddagh Palace he's looking well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Yes, was living in the Rahoon flats at that time and saw it start, actually was one of, I would think, loads that called the fire brigade.

And when the Westside Tavern was actually called the Westside Tavern!

The raves upstairs in the Westside Tavern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

Like another poster, I'm lovin this thread as well.

How about another take on this stuff? How about (independent) businesses that are still there? So to start ...

Food
    Someone mentioned the Wimpy on Eglinton St. The evolution of that premises was as follows Wimpy->Paschals->Conlons, then moved down the road to where it is now, is it not?
    McDonaghs on Quay St. Although the chipper is the most recent incarnation from where it started as a fish shop. I think they still sell fish at the back in Kirwan's lane?

Shops
    Powells, four corners, still there, thank God.
    Ryans on shop st.
    Taffes shop on shop st. is still there, though not trading (and maybe 'tis just as well :D)
    Hartmanns on william st.
    Matt O'Flaherty's on william st.
    Fahy photo on shop st., which started life as Fahy's chemist, though I think was further up on Shop St.?
    Griffins bakery (despite attempts to sell it)
    McCambridges on shop st (though it's part of a chain, is it not?)

Pubs
    Garavans on Shop St..
    Taffes pub on Shop St.
    The Skeff and The Quays are still there as pubs, but under different management (and the Quays is part of a chain, AFAIK).
    Most pubs in Woodquay are the same.

Services
    Healys' barbers on High St.
    (Would have included Chicks on Dominick St., but he folded up his scissors lately. Spotted him drinking the water in Mervue on the telly the other night, lookin as well as ever)
    Heterich's butchers on Market St. (I think this was always there, although they used to have a place on Shop st as well).

Hotels
    The Imperial on Eyre Square.
    The Meyrick (former Great Southern). Still trading as a hotel, and still looks pretty much the same from the outside.

Chains
    The Banks are mostly the same, although Halifax on Eyre square used to be Bank of Ireland.
    Dunnes on Eyre Suare (non-booze part). Though at one time that was Wards garage - but that was before my time ;)

That's all for the moment. Somebody may be interested in adding to the list.

BTW, honourable mentions outside the town centre would be some of the pubs in Bohermore, The Galleon in Salthill, Days Hotel Renmore (formerly Ryans), Duggans in Renmore and the shops in Mervue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

And for things that aren't there, one might be the abbatoir beside the train station. D'ye remember the smell sometimes when gettin off the bus/train? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

on the subject of things still there / unchanged SALLY LONGS is one for ur pub list a mates dad told a tale just last week of buyin a flangan over the bar before heading to the dance hall in salthill park across from Leisureland think it was the Hangar (way way way back)....i asked was it always called sallys thinkin it was a newish name and was informed it was owned at the time by a lady called Sally Long

and for the gone but not forgotten lists of sweet shops i owe money too due to sweet abduction
    1. Keoghs in Corrib Park
    2. Dooleys in Shantalla
    3. Irwins also Shantalla
    4. Stop n Shop up road from G n L
    5. M
    where isupply is now newcastle side of NUIG sorry i mean U.C.G(keepin it retro)
    6. The Bon Bon in Salthill
    corner of Taylors Hill and St. Marys Road (nile lodge)
    on Threadneedle rd opp tennis club
    9. The mobile shop from Coogan pk
    10. Connelleys in bohermore
    11. Camerons in bohermore
    12. Mill Street Stores

:D
    please fill in gaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

The Yacht pub on Eglington Street
    Manderely in Salthill
    Twiggs
    The Oasis
    Spinnaker
    Lantern
    Jim Carneys bookies (next door to Hole in the Wall)
    Whispers Nightclub

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

axiom32 wrote: »
    corner of Taylors Hill and St. Marys Road (nile lodge)
    Murray's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

axiom32 wrote: »
    on Threadneedle rd opp tennis club

Hogan's

serfboard wrote: »
    Chains
    The Banks are mostly the same, although Halifax on Eyre square used to be Bank of Ireland.
    It is a pity BOI chose to close the branch at the bottom of Eyre Square rather than the one at the top of it - that building was specifically built by BOI as a bank > 200 years ago. So I'm told anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

was it Smyth's that used to be across from where it is now? Oh, and the Claddagh Palace!

Advertisement