Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rob Kearney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

His farewell statement was really lovely to read.

He's done it all.

Side note. But Garry Doyle of the42 is really staining a publication that I have a lot of time for.

9 times out of 10 I can tell who has penned it before the end of the first paragraph. The latest example being his article on Robs farewell.

He's just pasted Robs statement in and added snide comments between the inverted commas.

Seems odd to have a journalist of the quality of Kinsella and even Sean Farrell is quite decent and have them having to share space with a tabloid **** stirrer like Doyle.

Anyway. Was a really lovely morning to reminisce about the many many highs that Rob Kearney has brought us these last 15 years

Just read the article.
    Class stuff from Rob. I agree with you on Doyle but i didnt see the snide comments.

My personal fav memory of Keaney was the intercept try v NZ.
    I had a dream the night before that Kearney would score a try legging it up the wing & that Ireland would win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The sooner this thread descends into a provincial Hypothetical pissing contest about a FB who may or may not be playing in a club in one of the biggest cities in France the better for all involved.

Best of Luck Rob, great career. I felt the last WC was going to be beyond him but he made the grade, and answered a lot of critics with his performances in last two 6nations.

I don’t think we will see a FB like him again, the style of rugby has changed even if some teams are not adopting having more of a playmaking FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's just pasted Robs statement in and added snide comments between the inverted commas.

Honestly, I can't see anything in that article to be bothered by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

His farewell statement was really lovely to read.

He's done it all.

Side note. But Garry Doyle of the42 is really staining a publication that I have a lot of time for.

9 times out of 10 I can tell who has penned it before the end of the first paragraph. The latest example being his article on Robs farewell.

Seems odd to have a journalist of the quality of Kinsella and even Sean Farrell is quite decent and have them having to share space with a tabloid **** stirrer like Doyle.

Anyway. Was a really lovely morning to reminisce about the many many highs that Rob Kearney has brought us these last 15 years

there's absolutely nothing in those comments. age has caught up with him? it has. and i don't think he'll make any impact on the Force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

‘But at 34 age has caught up with him which is why he got his pen out today’ seems a little bit unnecessary. He’d still do a good job at 15 for Leinster or Ireland actually. He’s been overlooked since the World Cup more for reasons of building for the future (which is 100% the right call) than for being a ‘has been’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

My first memory of Rob was, as a nine year old in my first year in Willow Park, seeing him line out at full back for Clongowes in the senior cup final at Lansdowne Road. In a wonderful twist of fate lining out at 13 with him that day was one Fergus McFadden. A few other names on show that day.

What a journey it’s been. Given his longevity and lack thereof of certain others, he perhaps better than any other has been a mainstay for nearly the entirety of my rugby following life. His arrival nearly perfectly coinciding with my interest in the sport and here we are today.

What a career it’s been

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Looking at that video, that uniform with white shorts and sox was awful!!

He was a very good player and an outstanding servant to the game. He was in the conversation for best FB in the world for a couple of sesons around 2008 to 2010. He is one of those guys that I think of as a great of the game without ever being a great player. If that makes sense. Outstanding but not spectacular. He did the basics to such high level that they became mundane and I think he is and will be more appreciated now he is gone as punters start to notice what they are missing with him not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My one abiding memory (and I'll be disappointed if someone doesn't post it) is the catch he made for Ireland where he just seemed to stroll to exactly where the ball was going to be and then catch it. Completely nonchalant about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

mfceiling wrote: »
    My one abiding memory (and I'll be disappointed if someone doesn't post it) is the catch he made for Ireland where he just seemed to stroll to exactly where the ball was going to be and then catch it. Completely nonchalant about it.

I remember that catch!

As I recall it was around the time that the calls to include one of Payne/ TOH/ Zebo were quite loud and in that moment Kearney just reaffirmed how much of a master of his craft he was

I remember that catch!

As I recall it was around the time that the calls to include one of Payne/ TOH/ Zebo were quite loud and in that moment Kearney just reaffirmed how much of a master of his craft he was

Somebody did post it here before. He was masterful in that play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Western Force are definitely back in super rugby so?
    Their coach has re-signed
    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/09/15/super-rugby-tim-sampson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »

Go on then.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/958074773778579456

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

a nice package put together by leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

a nice package put together by leinster

They even got rare footage of Rob passing the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Western Force move confirmed

Good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Can we close the thread now. He's not retiring

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »
    Can we close the thread now. He's not retiring

I vote we leave it open indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Would think he could earn decent coin in France or Japan but he'll probably enjoy playing in Perth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice owl pay day for him and a year in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

As far as I know, he needs to retire in Europe (previously Ireland) to enable him to avail of the very generous tax break for professional athletes.
    He must have plans to play beyond his year in Oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

You must have permanently finished or retired from that profession. You may continue to participate in the sport on an amateur or unpaid basis.

At the time of retirement, you must be resident in one of the following locations:

Ireland
    a European Union (EU) state
    a European Economic Area (EEA) state
    a European Free Trade Association (EFTA) state.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

You must have permanently finished or retired from that profession. You may continue to participate in the sport on an amateur or unpaid basis.

At the time of retirement, you must be resident in one of the following locations:

Ireland

Interesting, I guess that leaves a French club as his likely retirement club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland

Jesus, that's quite the risk.

I'm sure he's been advised on this and planned accordingly.

Dave McHugh is his agent who definitely knows the ins and outs of tax implications for retired rugby players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

GT25 wrote: »
    IMPORTANT NEWS FOR USERS OF BUS EIREANN ROUTES X1/X12/X8/X51/X33

Da fuq??

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Jesus, that's quite the risk.

I doubt it's a risk, as even if he gets crocked he can just wait and officially retire once he's back.

Advertisement