Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pet insurance for dog with a pre existing condition

Options
  • 19-09-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My parents 6 year old dog recently got an operation to repair her leg ligament with a titanium plate. It cost 2K that my parents struggled to pay upfront. The vet said further operations may be needed in a couple of years and there is the possibility of other conditions like arthritis developing.

I have been looking at pet insurance online but just wondering if an insurance company would pay out for further operations if needed or would it be classed as a pre existing condition and no payment would issue from them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s pre-existing so they won’t cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

tk123 wrote: »
    It’s pre-existing so they won’t cover it.

Thanks for replying. They are screwed so :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

2000 is lot for operation it should only be a few hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Plate/implant, X-rays before and after, anaesthesia , fluids, pain relief, antibiotics and pain relief for 2 weeks after, follow up visits until 8 weeks post op, theatre fee etc etc - off the top of my head all included so nope - it’s not going to cost a few hundred..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Plate/implant, X-rays before and after, anaesthesia , fluids, pain relief, antibiotics and pain relief for 2 weeks after, follow up visits until 8 weeks post op, theatre fee etc etc - off the top of my head all included so nope - it’s not going to cost a few hundred..

Yup, and also the bigger the dog, the bigger the cost will be as more medication etc is needed.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

bobbyy gee wrote: »

The plate alone could cost a few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

omicron wrote: »
    The plate alone could cost a few hundred.

Yeah it was a titanium plate that pushed the cost up. Surely there must be some way of them been able to save money in the future. Even if they had to pay an excess. Very unfair on a pair of pensioners. I might look into BlueCross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

gazzer wrote: »
    Yeah it was a titanium plate that pushed the cost up. Surely there must be some way of them been able to save money in the future. Even if they had to pay an excess. Very unfair on a pair of pensioners. I might look into BlueCross

Sorry to say and I don’t meant to sound unkind but it’s not unfair on pensioners they didn’t have pet insurance to begin with and like Human health insurance no they won’t cover pre existing .. in all honesty why would they .. it doesn’t makes sense their on the business to make money not loose it ..

Anyway why not set up a regular savings scheme maybe? To build up an amount?

Or move to a vet that will allow them to pay in installments?

I will say even with the pre existing condition .. insurance would be still worth it for other issues that arise but given the dogs age I’d act fast lots of insurance companies won’t take dogs over 7

Advertisement