Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy XVI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

And don't even get me started on the Eikon battle. An elongated cut scene where you hit triangle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just curious, were you playing it on Story difficulty or Action? Story mode is the default I think which makes it easier. I didn’t get to play the demo for long enough to comment on the combat, other than that little tutorial when Clive is younger, felt ok to me but nerd to play it more to judge properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you like the ff7r battle system because this sounds just like it and that system was incredible. The only really good thing about that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I played it last night on action mode. The combat definitely has potential, it's a little limited at the start but that's to be expected when the RPG elements pertain to additional combat techniques and buffs. Can't help comparing it to FF7 remake combat which feels more strategic with the slowed time choices, whereas this is a bit more frantic. There are nuances though that I'm sure will take a while to master. The story seems very promising, mature enough to be a real political plot with GOT levels of intrigue and deception. But there is a whole load of lore, not all of it spoon fed so there is a need to do your own research at times.

I'd second the notion that the particle effects really shine here. Graphically the game does particularly well here, but there are some elements that do feel a little under polished. They have absolutely nailed flames though. They look particularly good. The medieval settings are very well done, but the swamp dungeon feels a little bland if I'm being honest. Also the camera is a little too shaky for me in spots but I'm not sure if thats because I'm playing on my brother in law's peasant TV instead of my glorious LG one. If anyone else finds the first rock slide sequence a bit nauseating, it'd be good to know!

The Eikon's do look pretty cool but I gotta agree with @joe123 that the Eikon battle at the end of the demo is just a tap tap tap exercise, Considering the balance of the combat earlier, it's a bit of a shame. I haven't tried the Eikon challenge part yet though, will report back after that.

I'm locked into the franchise regardless, I'm old and I don't like change but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Demo game play is very basic. It doesn't leave a particularly good initial impression as it's a few hours or mashing, and some terrible dialog (par for the course perhaps).

However, once complete you can play a curated bit from later in the game with more abilities available. At this stage you have a nice variability to the combat, though the demo doesn't do a good job of showing you this, you need to try to mix up the stances and attacks to understand how to use each.

Seems OK but demo may not be helping opinions. Performance is wobbly, 60fps (ish) in combat and 30 and lower outside of combat. Dialog is nonsense....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Enjoyed the demo, characters and story feel a bit quaint but the rest seems fun so I think I'm on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I also can't see a thing in this game. For what it's worth I've decent experience with titles like this. Beat FFVII Remake a ton, platinumed a bunch of Devil May Cry games. Beat tons of Platinum games over and over. I am not bad at these types of games

The game just has a very poor visual balance with far too many particle effects, screen shake, motion blur and bad image reconstruction set in very dark scenes where you can't really see any of the enemies you are fighting. I don't feel any sense of connection to what's going on because I am just looking at flickering lights rather than seeing a to and fro between the characters on screen

A shame, cause the fundamentals of combat actually seem really well implemented, and when the game is visually clear like in the morbol fight you can see how it all comes together. The synthesis of DMC style mechanics (it has enemy step and snatch, and of course stinger. the magic combo system is like Nero's exceed mechanic) with FFXIV enemy encounter design is a really cool idea, when you can see it

But it's yet another modern gen title completely lost to what feels to me like gaming's version of the loudness war, which is just screaming particles tearing across the screen cause it makes the colours 'pop'. Had a miserable time with it, hope it turns around with a patch or two

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never bothered with demos and this will be no different, I wonder if we preorder from Smyth's will we get it a day or so early 🤔 🧐?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

The demo is the first few hours of the game, the save of which carries over to the released version, so you can get it a bit more than a few days early now 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH it’s the way demos should be done. Whatever about the quality of the game here - still haven’t had a chance to play further to decide - it was great seeing that little note that progress would carry over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square have done similar before. Their bravely default demos carried over some xp and items to the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just to answer some of the questions above

Played on Action (hard mode if it exists)

Had none of those "easy mode" rings equipped in Story demo

In the unlocked portion afterwards - the R1 prompt I believe is triggered by a ring that was auto equipped. Going to play that again without, but there is so much nonsense on screen I cant imagine evading will work too well outside of the 1-1 battles.

Its been ages since I played FF7R but I much preferred the combat in that. As someone mentioned above, it felt much more tactical and slower. The tactical aspect in FF16 seems non existent. For someone like me who never played a Devil May Cry type game, I should have been struggling somewhat, but honestly I sailed through every single fight. Some not even getting damage. And my approach was literally mash square, couple with magic burst, hit r1 to evade a few times, run around in circles, shoot some flames from distance and rinse repeat.

FWIW - I loved the combat in FF9, FF10, FF12, FF13 (was weakest of the bunch), FF15 (2nd weakest). Have never played the others and hate MMO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Ye guys are worrying me, was really hoping for a return to the FF magic with this one 😔 seems like forever since a new mainstream FF was proper good.

Was goign to buy this day one after the demo but I see they are looking for 80 euro for it on PSN. Guess I'll see what stores have on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Push Square - 9/10

At its best, Final Fantasy 16 is a jaw-dropping epic of rarely seen proportions. It's pretty much the pinnacle of cinematic spectacle in modern games, and its often gripping, emotional story is only matched by its fantastic combat system. While its overall quality does dip outside of the main plot, this is still a must-play action RPG, and the best single-player Final Fantasy in over a decade.

Game Informer - 8.5/10

When I look back at my time with Clive, his friends, his enemies, and Valisthea, it's those highs that I vividly remember. FFXVI is very different from its predecessors, but in many ways, very familiar; And it's still a Final Fantasy, through and through, reminding me why I love this series so much.

RPG Site - 8/10

Final Fantasy XVI is a confident game with amazing combat, an earnest narrative, and unbridled spectacle. Faults in pacing, RPG depth, quest design, and all those other nagging criticisms be damned - this game is special.

MP1st - 9.5/10

Regardless if FFXVI is your first Final Fantasy game or you're returning to the series, Square Enix's latest game in the franchise lives up to the hype. Forget about JRPG's or how action-RPGs nowadays need an open world, side quests that last for ages, co-op or whatever gimmick. FFXVI just throws all that out of the table and proves a tightly woven narrative-driven game –when built right — can make up for all those.

The minor issues the game has doesn't detract from the incredible experience Clive & Co. bring to the table. Players will be treated to a compelling tale, stunning visual spectacles, and a fluid and fun combat system. What's even more impressive is, Square Enix manages to make the franchise "grow up" alongside the players who grew up playing the series. FFXVI deals with more mature themes and manages to make it matter without being overly preachy about it.

Those looking for the series' return to glory, rejoice! Final Fantasy XVI is that game, and this is one fantasy you'll want to make sure you're a part of.

CGMagazine - 10/10

Final Fantasy XVI melds the best of the series' themes with a modern, malleable take on combat—creating a heartrending, generation-defining tale of revenge, fate, and freedom.

RPGFan - 97%

After the credits rolled, after I spent so much time in Valisthea, I thought about all of the inspirations and references, and the rich history of Final Fantasy. Interestingly, I think Final Fantasy XVI reminds me most of Final Fantasy VII. Obviously, it's not because of the story or the characters or the combat. Instead, similarly to VIIXVI is the new benchmark which future Final Fantasy games, and the rest of the genre for that matter, will be measured against. Old folks like me remember how staggering VII's cutscenes, story, and characters felt back in 1997, and how invested we were in the twists and turns and emotion of the narrative. VII built upon the foundations of what came before it to create an epic adventure. Final Fantasy XVI does the same, but it pulls from so many more sources, and like VII, it understands how to mix the intimate with the epic.

IGN - 9/10

Featuring fast, reflex driven, action heavy combat, Final Fantasy 16 is certainly a departure from what fans may expect out of a Final Fantasy game, but its excellent story, characters, and world building are right up there with the best the series has to offer, and the innovative Active Time Lore feature should set a new standard for how lengthy, story-heavy games keep players invested in its world.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5

It's the kind of gamble that Final Fantasy has happily made in the past so that the series may reinvent itself to execute the type of story its creatives want to tell. Time will tell if Final Fantasy 16 pays off, but history certainly supports it.

GameSpot - 9/10

FFXVI is a bold shift in both gameplay and narrative, yet captures the Final Fantasy magic in stunning fashion, earning a place within the pantheon of incredible entries in the beloved franchise.

Eurogamer - 3/5

FF16 is on some level a playable deconstruction of the traditional hero yarn - its plot painstakingly explores how the urge to fight everyone's battles for them may disintegrate into egotism and even callousness, bred of thinking the world is yours to save. But the game's insistence on playing out the hero fable regardless is having your cake and eating it - certainly, it doesn't take 50 hours to grasp this morale. And while Final Fantasy 16 is perhaps the state of the art for real-time Final Fantasy combat, its dreary sidequests and slight excess of worldbuilding leave me reluctant to fire up New Game+. All told, I still prefer the older Final Fantasies, which also trade in stories of heroes averting the apocalypse, but always place those heroes second to the party.

Polygon - Unscored

As the credits rolled, I threw my hands up in the air, totally unmoved by a resolution I didn't feel like Final Fantasy 16 had earned. Then, after a few minutes and some hand stretches, I restarted with new game plus. I selected the highest difficulty. I skipped every single cutscene, diving into the action instead, using my very specifically designed set of Eikonic powers to murderize mobs and bosses alike, and thought to myself, Why had this game felt like such a chore just a minute ago? Then I let a cutscene play out, felt my eyelids grow heavier, my exhaustion finally mounting, until I nodded off on the couch.

Kotaku - Unscored

For all it invests in big-scale brawls between Dominants, the game also leans into quieter human connections. Many of the side quests are almost too simple: Go to this place marked on the map, listen to somebody talk, kill some bandits, get a bunch of bloody hides as a reward. But there are so many exceptional vocal performances and well-written arcs that you can't help but come to love this world as much as Clive does. Show up for the kaiju fights, but stay for the tender series of quests exploring the complicated and noble backstory of your hideout's resident blacksmith.

Noisy Pixel - 9/10

Final Fantasy XVI is an action JRPG polished to an iridescent sheen. Its well-designed combat system and enemies, outstanding character writing and worldbuilding, and consistently stellar side content make it a standout entry in this legendary franchise. Even when accounting for the weak villains and a lukewarm conclusion, this was a journey that truly gripped me from beginning to end. This is a must-play game of the year and a Final Fantasy adventure you won't forget.

VG247 - 4/5

But it's not that simple. It never is. In FF16, Clive, Cid, and the others ultimately derive their power from the same mysterious origins as the crystals themselves. To complete their objective, they need the very thing they seek to destroy. And so too does FF16 need that history, those traditions, leveraging some even as it drives a dagger through others. That is the duality of the game. A dichotomy at the heart of its structure, its triumphs, and its failures alike. It's a fascinating piece of work, a wholly imperfect but nevertheless enthralling experience.

Attack of the Fanboy - 5/5

Final Fantasy XVI is an outstanding achievement. Every part of it, from its characters to its combat, was put there with a purpose. Not only does it deliver satisfyingly slick action RPG combat in between masterfully directed cutscenes, but also a story with real heart. Most importantly, it's incredibly clear that a team of creative individuals was behind every decision. There's a human element that permeates every aspect of Final Fantasy XVI, and it'll end up becoming a lot of people's favorite Final Fantasy because of that.

Wccftech - 9/10

Final Fantasy XVI heralds in a new standard for Japanese role-playing games and while the RPG components themselves are limited by Square-Enix standards, it's the narrative and gameplay that exceed all expectations. What begins with kingdom-wide subterfuge and destruction ends with a world forever changed and the player, as Clive Rosfield and Ifrit together, are the driving force to see it all through until the end.

TechRaptor - 9.5/10

Final Fantasy XVI is everything I could have hoped for and more. Combat is fast paced and rewarding as you master combos and abilities. Eikon fights, while not as interesting to play, are gorgeous to witness. All of this is wrapped up into a deep story and fully fleshed out world that you'll want to be protecting.

Digitally Downloaded - 5/5

It's far too early to determine where Final Fantasy XVI sits in the ranks of Square Enix's venerable series. However, this is an engrossing, entertaining and, most importantly, fiercely intelligent game. The developers have taken the AAA-blockbuster budget they had to work with, and used it to craft an experience with a strong, provocative and timely message, and then backed it up with some of the most entertaining action combat we've ever seen. Not a second of the game's runtime is wasted, there's not a single dud character, moment, or scene, and the plot is a riveting epic "page-turner." If only more blockbuster games were like this, game development would be a far more mature art form.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

If you're a fan of strong narrative experiences, Final Fantasy lore, breath-taking graphics and a particularly sassy Moogle, and you don't mind a sprinkling of The Witcher, The Handmaids Tale and the many accents of Old Blighty, then Final Fantasy XVI is the game for you. Heck, it might just be the best Final Fantasy yet!

The Verge - Unscored

Final Fantasy XVI is not perfect, and later, we're gonna have a conversation about the game's approach to diversity. But I can feel it rewiring the rat's nest of cables in my brain the way VIII did. I am just as enamored of its systems and characters as I was VIII's. And instead of Uematsu's "Liberi Fatali" that sends me careening down a coaster's biggest and best drop, it's Soken's "Find the Flame."

Been a while since a mainstream FF got such appraisal, maybe it's time to get a ps5 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ok, thats an immediate buy for me. Unfortunately Smyths are out of stock for home delivery currently and Curry's are a tenner more for it.🤬

Just got mine delivered there, Will let ye know what the story with the patch is at lunch when I set it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Now available for home delivery on Smyths for €70. Free delivery or pay €2 for next day delivery.

oof, there is a 300MB patch or so to start with but it's a chonk of a game, 99GB to install

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Having demo progress transfer is so handy. Saves having to do prologue all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

Played for a few hours this morning. The game was preloaded so I presume it included the day 1 patch.

The combat is the clear highlight, specifically Boss fights. Normal enemies are generally fodder with some limited strategy but still fun to battle. The music is phenomenal too.

The games GoT inspirations aren’t remotely subtle, from the characters, places, history and the tilt-shift world map!

Speaking of - while the world map is fine, I do miss actually traversing from place to place, makes the world seem smaller without it. But that’s a small thing.

The performance mode is still all over the place, hitting between 35-60fps and regularly changing. I’ve changed it to graphics mode which is a far more consistent experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I’m a good few hours into it. Absolutely love it. I’m immersed into the story even though it does feel like Game of Thrones. The combat I would agree with above in that the boss fights are epic but normal fights can feel a bit tedious. The graphics are unbelievable. Lots of blood, cursing and is very dark at times.

A return to form for Final Fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Are there many other battles that are similar to the one in the demo where you were just mashing the buttons?

Rest of the demo was fantastic but that bit made me hesitate before buying

How are ye finding the story/narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Bit further into this now (not long after the big story beats once you get the first 'pivotal moment in story' warning), combat and other bits are coming together better now, while its quickly ramping up all the extra bits to get on with too!

All accounts point to it being great until about the halfway point where it falls apart and becomes complete nonsense.

Saying that the same thing happened to ff12 and that game was magnificent.

• Advertisement

Story is harmless enough sor far. A lot fo the game of thrones infulences are skin deep tbh. Feels like an older, sillier style of TV fnatasy with extra gore more than anything. That said reached apoint where the more ruegluar final fanatsy melodrama is becomein more obvious. I'm not expecting much but so far I'd say its naff in a pleasent way.

Advertisement