Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You Tube

• 04-09-2020 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there, quick question about You Tube.

I'd like to use various songs by well known bands, in a video project that I would eventually post on YouTube and hope to profit from it in terms of YouTube paying me for the amount of ads the video may generate, likes it gets etc.

What is the deal here, may I use content (videos, music) that is already freely available to me on YouTube, what I'm looking to do is use various short clips from different videos, basically make a compilation and have various well known songs/music playing in the background.

Can I legally do this under YouTube s policy, do I just type a statement in the description saying how I don't own or claim any copyright to this videos content?
    Can I still make money from the video on YouTube if it's good enough?

Any info appreciated, thanks ☺️

Comments

Seems like your plan is toast on several counts
    The first rule of copyright
    Creators should only upload videos that they have made or that they're authorised to use. That means that they should not upload videos that they didn't make, or use content in their videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programmes or videos made by other users, without necessary authorisations.

being realistic you might get away with the using pieces of other videos part but the audio / music would be picked up automatically by google / youtube scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

glasso wrote: »
    Seems like your plan is toast on several counts
    glasso wrote: »
    being realistic you might get away with the using pieces of other videos part but the audio / music would be picked up automatically by google / youtube scanning.

The reason I even began to think that this practice may be ok with YT is because of the many many videos I come across on a daily basis that feature videos say of Formula 1, people uploading these videos and perhaps having music playing in the background and they get hundreds of thousands of views/likes, does this youtuber get paid for this?

There's many examples of videos that are questionable to say the least

you can try it as I said.

the music is more likely to be picked up as the audio profile is automatically scanned

you can find royalty free music to work

people don't click on a video for the music unless it's a music vid obviously

• Advertisement

the video snippets are quite unlikely to be picked up / noticed in a montage unless very long segments.

Advertisement