Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

The weak link in all of this are us, humans. As a race we are inherently selfish.

Agreed, did you see Niamh Horan onClaireByrne last night? Selfishness embodied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Agreed, did you see Niamh Horan onClaireByrne last night? Selfishness embodied.

I didn't but what did she say? NH is very self entitled at the best of times anyway.

I didn't but what did she say? NH is very self entitled at the best of times anyway.

Oh just populist rubbish about how unfair it all is. Basically giving out about the imposition of restrictions and lifting and reimposing. Unfair on people, impossible to follow rules, vulnerable should mind themselves and let everyone else at it.

No consideration for the fact that that will lead to exponential growth of virus, complications in people previously healthy or the strain on our health services.

I mean we all know it is crap and unfair but listening to her you'd think the Government and NPHET were trying to make us suffer rather than protect us as a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Take a look at circular 0024/ 20 - it seems from that , that once u are medically advised to self isolate u are covered. if you are well enough you are expected to work from home.

Had to get tested and entire household was medically advised to-restrict movements ( doc adamant no work / school for anyone in the house) from the time I rang the doc until a negative result came back.

ETA - I would flag that with your union. You are requested not to go to work if you live with a suspected case.

Yup. Union contacted by multiple staff across the school as far as I know. This is exactly the situation. If I’m waiting testing everyone in my house is to restrict their movements. ETB say they won’t pay them Covid leave even though they are available to work from home

Yup. Union contacted by multiple staff across the school as far as I know. This is exactly the situation. If I’m waiting testing everyone in my house is to restrict their movements. ETB say they won’t pay them Covid leave even though they are available to work from home

that ETB are a disgrace. Hopefully Union gets it sorted soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Yes once you are medically advised to isolate you are covered. Going through it myself at the moment. I do believe its only for people who wouldnt be paid by their employer though. I had read all public/civil servants need not apply as they are paid for sick leave anyway.

jrosen wrote: »
    Yes once you are medically advised to isolate you are covered. Going through it myself at the moment. I do believe its only for people who wouldnt be paid by their employer though. I had read all public/civil servants need not apply as they are paid for sick leave anyway.

But if working from home (and in my school teaching from home is an option) then why would I use my sick leave if I’m working and not sick just on restricted movement? Isn’t that the whole point of the covid leave circular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

But if working from home (and in my school teaching from home is an option) then why would I use my sick leave if I’m working and not sick just on restricted movement? Isn’t that the whole point of the covid leave circular

Apologies, I think I mis read your original text.

jrosen wrote: »
    Apologies, I think I mis read your original text.

Possibly. I think there's a lot of confusion over this and our ETB have just taken the least teacher friendly option to be honest

Its been reigned in again. However we need a letter from the GP/HSE with our name on it saying we need to restrict our movements because of a potential case in the house. Except the HSE don't issue them, they direct you to the website. Some GPs outright refusing to write them saying its not their responsibility and others happy to take the money. So essentially we now have to pay to work from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Its been reigned in again. However we need a letter from the GP/HSE with our name on it saying we need to restrict our movements because of a potential case in the house. Except the HSE don't issue them, they direct you to the website. Some GPs outright refusing to write them saying its not their responsibility and others happy to take the money. So essentially we now have to pay to work from home

I would not be happy with that - you are following public health guidelines and the mechanism is there for leave. I would be contacting the union. Our GP practice is very clear no cert under any circumstances as it is following public health guidelines and means too much additional work fir the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

The ETB are a fcuking disgrace,a bunch of cnuts,they have no problem paying their Golden Circle to work from home on fully expensed gadgets.
    They do not give a damn about teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

My school is a dept school and are just looking for a copy of the text the person who is being tested gets with their result. Makes a lot more sense.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    My school is a dept school and are just looking for a copy of the text the person who is being tested gets with their result. Makes a lot more sense.

And thats what it should be in my opinion. But ETBs seem to like creating paperwork for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

And thats what it should be in my opinion. But ETBs seem to like creating paperwork for us

Seems more like creating hassle than paperwork tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The mandarins working from their newly renovated and safe home office's need something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I'm a large ETB and they're accepting this text also, after some initial confusion.

My friend working down in Tipp ETB and their ETB also have flexible interpretation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I see our inspectors are now 'Covid Inspectors'

They can come out to schools to make sure Covid restrictions are been adhered to.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I see our inspectors are now 'Covid Inspectors'

They can come out to schools to make sure Covid restrictions are been adhered to.

Better to be foing something.....otherwise they could end up being redeployed to the front line; teaching, as happened to many in the healthcare sector

Seriously...what the hell is going on with contact tracing and schools?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We are expendable. Your job is just to babysit and keep schools open at all costs.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

There’s no proper system being followed for anything. Contact tracing seems to be a phone call where if the principal says all is ok they are taken at their word. Parents sending kids to school ill or when they supposed to be restructuring movements. No consequences. Child sent home coughing, back in school the next day. No consequences

If they don’t test then they don’t ‘know’ it’s spreading in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭amacca

Better to be foing something.....otherwise they could end up being redeployed to the front line; teaching, as happened to many in the healthcare sector

They should be redeployed to the most difficult schools you can find for a minimum of three years

In addition they should be forced to implement the most hare brained of methodologies they champion witb minimal disciplinary back up

Might start to develop some understanding of what teaching really has become

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Contact tracing seems to be applied to everyone except teachers. If you take a test as a close contact of a student and test positive you are out of action for 2 weeks. Add to that your close contacts on staff.... and the school shuts down. If you're not tested you won't be off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭amacca

Contact tracing seems to be applied to everyone except teachers. If you take a test as a close contact of a student and test positive you are out of action for 2 weeks. Add to that your close contacts on staff.... and the school shuts down. If you're not tested you won't be off work.

And of course they can't come right out and say thats the strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

amacca wrote: »
    They should be redeployed to the most difficult schools you can find for a minimum of three years

In addition they should be forced to implement the most hare brained of methodologies they champion witb minimal disciplinary back up

Might start to develop some understanding of what teaching really has become

Maybe they should act as supersubs in schools that have teachers out due to covid. They are the experts after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but wasn’t sure what thread to post it in. We have no marking on our floors for where students desks should be. We have complained that there should be and the principal has said that it is a disaster in other schools with tape lifting straight away etc. I don’t think this is a good enough reason not to have markings. What are people doing in their schools to mark out the distance between desks?

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Sorry to go a bit off topic here but wasn’t sure what thread to post it in. We have no marking on our floors for where students desks should be. We have complained that there should be and the principal has said that it is a disaster in other schools with tape lifting straight away etc. I don’t think this is a good enough reason not to have markings. What are people doing in their schools to mark out the distance between desks?

We have tape. It got us three weeks but it was crap plastic tbh. However honestly it needs to be proper duct tape and it needs to be pressed down firmly initially. This was not done for ours.

And I agree. It is absolutely needed

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Newbie20 wrote: »
    What are people doing in their schools to mark out the distance between desks?

Spray paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

http://https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/school-with-1-500-pupils-closes-after-covid-19-cases-confirmed-1.4362350
    Massive school shuts in Tyrone. From reading it there seems to have been 4 confirmed cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement