Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Berlin in Dame St be closed down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I can't see the issue here.

There were 7 people at the bar area. They were not crowded together.

A little "dad dancing", zero contact between people. Some had face coverings.

But the covid police just hate anyone having fun and not doing things according to what they think.

Fair play to Jay bourke for effectively telling the naysayers to take a jump.

BTW, I seen more people closer together in my local aldi and lidl stores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Darc19 wrote: »

But the covid police just hate anyone having fun and not doing things according to what they think.

That's a terrible attempt at a wind up. Have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No, they hate people breaking the law to do things which spread a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Ok Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People are essentially complaining that people went to the bar instead of remaining in their seats for their shots.

Honestly, WTF is wrong with you people. This thing has driven people mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hysterical overeaction. But that goes for the entire response to covid imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

for just being a hipster haven yes :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what they were doing was stupid and uploading the evidence for the world to see is the icing on the cake but the language used from the to describe the scenes is like something you would hear roaring down from a pulpit in the 1930's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Should of said it was a BLM fundraiser / protest. Not a word would be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Worth noting that scenes like this, and far worse, are a staple of private parties happening the length and breadth of the country nearly every night of the week.
    Berlin should certainly get closed for allowing this on the premises, but ignoring worse elsewhere is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I’m not going to be an apologist for Jay – but – he’s the venue owner. The organiser of this event is a self-titled ‘influencer’ and there are similar events scheduled for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

People are essentially complaining that people went to the bar instead of remaining in their seats for their shots.

Honestly, WTF is wrong with you people. This thing has driven people mental.

It's not so much what exactly was going on in the video, its more so that this was happening whilst most pubs in the country are still shut and not allowed open. It's a real fcuk you, I'm alright Jack attitude.

Having being in the bar a few times over the years, and experienced the bellendry of the bar staff first hand, I'm not surprised by the clowns in the videos. I also wouldn't be too sympathetic for them for whatever punishment they may receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

NIMAN wrote: »
    Definitely needs to be punished somehow.

Why should the rest of us follow rules and let arseholes do what they want?

There are a lot of people more concerned that others follow "the rules" than they are about what and why the rules actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

statesaver wrote: »
    Should of said it was a BLM fundraiser / protest. Not a word would be reported.

And the culture war rages on. Keyboard warriors typing non sensical ad-hominems about perceived bias in the culture war that seems to actually be fought by one demographic and no-one else is bothered by.

Weird times we live in.

It's not so much what exactly was going on in the video, its more so that this was happening whilst most pubs in the country are still shut and not allowed open. It's a real fcuk you, I'm alright Jack attitude.

Having being in the bar a few times over the years, and experienced the bellendry of the bar staff first hand, I'm not surprised by the clowns in the videos. I also wouldn't be too sympathetic for them for whatever punishment they may receive.

It doesn't look like the type of place I would like to visit, it looks quite tacky. But all I can see is that people went to the bar for a shot as opposed to the drink bring brought to them. That was the only broken guideline and if people are going to get Helen Lovejoy on small guideline infringements, then god help us.

People seemed to be quite spread apart too. They went to the bar, had their shot and went back to their seats. No different to a coffee shop. Go up and get your coffee and sit Down.

The problem essentially here is that people are having fun. And folk are not taking too kindly to seeing other people having fun right now.

We are starting to see the mental impact of this virus. People are losing their **** over 1 small guideline infraction. And remember, they are guidelines, not laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

It doesn't look like the type of place I would like to visit, it looks quite tacky. But all I can see is that people went to the bar for a shot as opposed to the drink bring brought to them. That was the only broken guideline and if people are going to get Helen Lovejoy on small guideline infringements, then god help us.

People seemed to be quite spread apart too. They went to the bar, had their shot and went back to their seats. No different to a coffee shop. Go up and get your coffee and sit Down.

The problem essentially here is that people are having fun. And folk are not taking too kindly to seeing other people having fun right now.

We are starting to see the mental impact of this virus. People are losing their **** over 1 small guideline infraction. And remember, they are guidelines, not laws.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and there's definite truth to the mental impact side of things and some people being completely irrational about some infractions whilst ignoring others they may deem "ok" or ignore seeming contradictions between guidelines etc.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky as I fully embed myself in my mid 30s, maybe my judgement is clouded as I've previously marked some of the bar staff there highly in the "dikchead" category but still you have to appreciate how bloody galling that must be to publicans and restaurateurs around the country not currently able to open their premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

What's the story with the Poll - secret results?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why is the poll hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Because of it breaching social distancing and all that?

Why are the results hidden?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Who the f*CK has brunch in the afternoon??

The same people who think a "staycation" is holidaying in your own country.

• Advertisement

You don't see anything wrong with pouring drink from a bottle into multiple people's mouths?

Really?

Maybe you think wiping your a*se with your hand is OK too but most of us don't.

I'd have an issue with that pre COVID. You could catch anything off that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Why is the poll hidden?

So it does not influence the way people vote.
    You can see the results on Sunday, how exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

So it does not influence the way people vote.
    You can see the results on Sunday, how exciting!

We will all have moved on to the next disgrace by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Earthhorse wrote: »
    People who enjoy breaking the rules enjoy breaking the rules; doesn't matter how reasonable they are, the thrill they get is from breaking them. If people like this weren't around and didn't have apologists like yourself trying to make their behaviour out to be okay we would be able to open more broadly and simply eject people like this from our establishments.
    According to the government, we are not going to have pubs full stop. It has nothing to do with what happened in Berlin. Under the current government thinking (or lack thereof) it could be years before they are willing to let pubs re-open.
    Take one of the rules you've listed up there; "seating only". That's a reasonable rule, right? You've listed it as such. Yet it's clearly being broken in the video.
    According to the witnesses, the rule was been followed for the most part until the incident in the video.
    Clearly, to them, having fun isn't sitting at a table with your mates all night so they would break the rules in your scenario too.
    ...and would receive a warning, and subsequent removal from the premises if they repeat it. Having intelligent, practical rules that are well understood and everyone agrees will result in far higher compliance and far better enforcement.
    If the rules weren't as strict as they are we'd be seeing a lot worse and a lot more of this kind of behaviour.
    It's not about the rules being strict. It's about them being stupid and counter-productive, thus resulting in a less safe environment. If the rules were more intelligent, we would be seeing a lot less of this kind of behaviour.

I really don't think you understand what I am saying. By having stupid rules, you are inviting people to break them. Any intelligent person could look at the current rules and predict that "of course people are going to break them".

Put it another way. If the government had come out with rules that "you have to wear a yellow t-shirt" and "have your left hand at the back of your head at all times" while in a shop, do you think people would generally accept it? Or do you think people would say "Fcuk this - these are really stupid rules that in no way make the shopping experience safer". Do you think implementing such stupid rules would result in a higher or lower level of compliance with the sensible rules associated with shopping (washing of hands, wearing masks etc). Do you think staff are more or less likely to "enforce the rules" when the rules contains such nonsensical BS?

It's got nothing to do with Covid-19, it's human nature. Once people starting breaking some rules, then there is no clear line and, thus, other rules get ignored as well. And as long as there are stupid, impractical rules, people will consistently break some rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think what the pub situation needs is that a couple of pubs are raided, shut down, licenses taken / struck out, whatever the terminology is... if the law isn’t there that can enable that happening we need emergency legislation to make it happen ASAP...

Plastered all over the news so a message is sent out to the rest of them....

“There, those people... no longer have a business, they open the shutters, serve a pint, they are going to be fûcked in jail, for serving alcohol without a license “

Comply or be deleted.

I don’t think Martin has the stones for that and Leo certainly won’t have the desire or want to inconvenience money people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No, they hate people breaking the law to do things which spread a disease.

Can you or some other covid warrior please tell me the law that was broken.

And will the naysayers actually look at the video rather than follow the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You don't see anything wrong with pouring drink from a bottle into multiple people's mouths?

Really?

Poured at a distance into someone's mouth. If that's an issue, you'd have to have an issue being in the same room as someone - you're breathing in their air. Hope you never go to a bar in a Spanish or greek holiday resort.

I think too many people are overthinking. Barman was not acting perfectly, but I don't see why the outrage as it doesn't seem to an overcrowded situation like many house parties.
    Media silly season is in full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can you or some other covid warrior please tell me the law that was broken.

And will the naysayers actually look at the video rather than follow the sheep.

The Intoxicating Liqueur Acts

Really?

No. Poured from a distance.

And sure if the spirit is strong enough, won't the alcohol sterilise everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dalyboy

silver2020 wrote: »
    Poured at a distance into someone's mouth. If that's an issue, you'd have to have an issue being in the same room as someone - you're breathing in their air. Hope you never go to a bar in a Spanish or greek holiday resort.

I think too many people are overthinking. Barman was not acting perfectly, but I don't see why the outrage as it doesn't seem to an overcrowded situation like many house parties.
    Media silly season is in full swing

Yeah he was pouring the drink at a distance. There didn’t seem to be any sharing of bottle or glasses etc.

So if pouring drink from a distance is a concern now what happens when it’s raining outside? Does that spread infection too ? The entire world is gone batsh1t insane

Advertisement