Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Chess Championships Preparation

Options
  • 15-07-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Now that we are so near the start date of the 2020 Irish ch I am just wondering does anybody have any ideas about special prep they are doing.

Like for example I heard that some guy was playing games online wearing a gasmask (for gas) and then later on a Batman costume. To get into the right frame of mind.

I am looking at the playing the Dutch Stonewall as Black based around the new Quality Chess book on it. Who thinks the Dutch is a good choice for the Irish ch.

As White I am going to try the Kings Gambit based on Danny Kings new book/video. Have I gone too far with wanting to push my F pawn too early in the game?

What other openings do people long to see being played in the Irish ch this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

You won't be alone in playing the Dutch as Shane Melaugh and Jonathan O'Connor play it too. Stephen Brady always did well with the King's Gambit but I don't know if he still plays it. I have been preparing 1b3 and 1...b6 just to avoid having to try and memorize any theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

The problem with the King's Gambit is that Black only needs to prepare one line against it (and there are several good lines that at least equalise with correct follow-up) whereas White has to be ready for them all.
    After 1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf4 (2...d5 3 exd5 exf4 and 2...Bc5 are also OK.) does King recommend 3 Nf3 or one of the weird lines? Or maybe you had better to keep that to yourself...

I find the biggest problem is whether to play my usual openings or to try something different in an effort to avoid preparation. I have certainly lost some very important games by doing the latter but I am still not sure which is the best policy. A lot of the time I pick the opening depending on my opponent but again I'm not sure if this is the best way to do things. Other times I arrive at the board with no idea what opening I'm going to play and just go along with whatever I'm in the mood for or have a hunch might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Fail to prepare = prepare to fail

Certainly a lot of truth in that but sometimes if I do a lot of study my results suffer for a while before I begin to see the fruit of my labours. the same happens with my golf, I can practise like a lunatic and play terribly then if I don't play for a few weeks I actually play much better. I think that when you practise, or study, you begin to play mechanically trying to remember what you've learned but then when you get more used to "the new you" you begin to play more naturally and sub consciously and therefore better. I've worked very hard for this Irish Ch so my results will probably be crap but I am a sure thing to win the City of Dublin :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement