Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    So Sweden are assigning historical figures to the dates of death unlike us who are reporting based on date of test result?

Yep, pretty much in a nut shell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would genuinely like to know if the vintners believe this is possible, or if they're hoping we all just go along with it cos we're gagging for pints.

I've never seen such a load of horsesh.it in my life. Any distancing will either be ignored from the off or will evaporate once lads get the third pint on board.

The publicans are absolute bastards.

Tbh I'd say its 50/50 publican greed and irresponsible members of the public

I'm wfh over two months as I had a sinus infection, and anyone with even the slightest sniffles was encouraged to work from home weeks before govt advice

I remember being out in early March and some guy was out with a barking cough was having away with no tissue or whatever.

Given that it appears there is an issue with asymptomatic people spreading this plague, I reckon a certain cohort of the population will see pubs open and just toddler back in regardless

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Given Sweden's relative lack of testing you'd have to assume there are a serious number of unreported cases there

Yup and a massive correction at some point for the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Finland: 246 dead
    Norway: 215 dead

Sweden: 2,854 dead

(source: JHU)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stheno wrote: »
    No.
    Actually mfceiling, aren't you in construction? Any advice on laying a patio? :pac:

I've been looking into that myself, thought this was a really good video on how to do it. Probably going to give it a shot over the next few weeks once the hardware stores open up and I can get the wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No.

Actually mfceiling, aren't you in construction? Any advice on laying a patio? :pac:

Yep....get a professional in!! Seriously though that is what I'd do.

Decking is actually quite easy if you have the right tools. For me me it's just a ceiling on the ground!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'll spend some of the savings on a nice patio.

Pay someone else to do it!

In all seriousness, get the right equipment. Plan, plan and, when you're sure you have it all planned out, plan some more.

The job will be far easier and also done better if you get the right gear. Whacking plate, consaw/block cutter, tile spacers etc. HSS will hire all of these to you.

It's a fairly simple job but, depending on size of patio, what's there currently and access to the area, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yep....get a professional in!! Seriously though that is what I'd do.

Decking is actually quite easy if you have the right tools. For me me it's just a ceiling on the ground!!

Yeah I'm getting a couple of quotes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We got PVC decking in there a couple of weeks ago, aul lad seems to be over the moon with it. Very little maintenance and has a wood style finish but without the maintenance.

We built out last decking ourselves and it was an absolute nightmare, one miscalculation or off cut can make an absolute hames of it all.

We got PVC decking in there a couple of weeks ago, aul lad seems to be over the moon with it. Very little maintenance and has a wood style finish but without the maintenance.

We built out last decking ourselves and it was an absolute nightmare, one miscalculation or off cut can make an absolute hames of it all.

My OH would like decking. Not going to happen.

He has this mad idea that you just throw it on top of the grass and hey presto :rolleyes:

That said the physical labour would be good for him. As a result of eating himself through this pandemic he's put on a stone in weight and is now going on a diet and walking every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Putting down a decking is not difficult, but do not skimp on the prep work. The frame underneath needs to be rock-solid and level. Measure everything three times over. If you think you need 30 boards, buy 40. If you're putting it over grass or soil, get weed fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

My OH would like decking. Not going to happen.

He has this mad idea that you just throw it on top of the grass and hey presto :rolleyes:

That said the physical labour would be good for him. As a result of eating himself through this pandemic he's put on a stone in weight and is now going on a diet and walking every day

Oh he has to do it on his own? F*ck that!

I'm intending to redo my paths out the back with the same stone as my patio. Part of me relishing the bit of work and that it will be grand when it's done. But there's a fair bit of work involved which I know I'll get a pain in my hole with.

If there's already grass in place, he's going to need to dig that all out and make sure it's level before even looking at bringing in hardcore/sand. I hope he has easy access to the patio area to get all material/spoil in and out. That's the single biggest task if it needs to be moved from out front (and even worse if through the house).

Buer wrote: »
    Oh he has to do it on his own? F*ck that!

I'm intending to redo my paths out the back with the same stone as my patio. Part of me relishing the bit of work and that it will be grand when it's done. But there's a fair bit of work involved which I know I'll get a pain in my hole with.

If there's already grass in place, he's going to need to dig that all out and make sure it's level before even looking at bringing in hardcore/sand. I hope he has easy access to the patio area to get all material/spoil in and out. That's the single biggest task if it needs to be moved from out front (and even worse if through the house).

No hes not going to do anything apart from observe from afar.

I'm getting quotes from a couple of gardeners.

The back garden is currently weedy grass, so need to weed killer it first, then level it off after a couple of weeks, then dig out the patio area, level that off, lay substrate ( think that's what its called), then weed fabric, sand and finally patio.

I'd feel better getting someone who knows what they are doing to do it tbh, otherwise I'd also have to dig a grave for the OH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I know enough about building/handyman work to know what I can and can't do. Building decks, walls, steps or fences are all jobs I definitely can't do. I can be the helper/labourer on those jobs but someone else needs to be in charge. Laying down paving for paths and patios, or building fire pits, no problem. Just don't put me in charge of mixing the cement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't get my head around the fact that New Zealand to Australia is further than Ireland to Egypt.

The idea of a pub with social distancing is baffling. The only thing a pub has going for it over drinking at home is the social aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I can't get my head around the fact that New Zealand to Australia is further than Ireland to Egypt.

The idea of a pub with social distancing is baffling. The only thing a pub has going for it over drinking at home is the social aspect.
    I'm still trying to work out how those two things are related. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm still trying to work out how those two things are related. :pac:

Well, Ireland and North Africa are distant geographically but also socially whereas Aus and NZ are more distant geographically but less so socially.

I don't think anyone could realistically take what she said as an intentional criticism of Ireland's approach.

The problem is she should appreciate there are a lot of unrealistic people around, in her country as well I'm sure. And any comment like this is just giving them fuel to carry on like idiots. Plenty of people talking about New Zealand's infection rate as if they aren't an island thousands of kilometers away from any real sources of cases (unlike Ireland, where we only just discovered 90% of school children seem to ski in Italy every March) It'd be just as bad if Varadkar criticised New Zealand or Australia's initial approach and gave ammunition to the whatever New Zealand's equivalent of Gemma O'Doherty is (the main lad from Hunt for the Wilderpeople probably).

I would never apologise for Ardern saying something stupid but I definitely think this is a case of finding a country that has a similar population size, one that your average kiwi can relate to and that has worse numbers than NZ and use that to show how great her government is doing. Ignore all other contributing factors.

Theyve done a great job containingthe virus but I'd be more interested in hearing what her government is going to do to help the thousands of small businesses get back on their feet and how the economy is going to recover from the billions in lost tourism revenue.

As for the NZ version of Gemma O'Doherty, the would be the Bishop Brian Tamaki (self ordained). He may have declared himself the Supreme Leader and Saviour at this point. Him and his wife are NZ's highest profile whackjobs.

A Gemma loon got into the daily briefing, it was a bit mental

That's not entirely true. If you take from the centre of each country it is but Auckland to Sydney is a bit over half the distance of Dublin to Cairo. However it is further than Dublin to Algiers so I'll use that in future.

• Advertisement

Spent a solid two days trying to find a decent cordless hair clippers under a hundred quid in either Ireland or the UK and managed to finally get one.

Have hair clippers become the new facemasks/hand sanitiser?

Spent a solid two days trying to find a decent cordless hair clippers under a hundred quid in either Ireland or the UK and managed to finally get one.

Have hair clippers become the new facemasks/hand sanitiser?

Why yes!

Us preppers saw into the future and got one as a Christmas present.

I did actually get one for Christmas I got a number 2 all over in December and decided I wasn't paying a hairdresser for that

Mine is not cordless though

Why yes!

I did actually get one for Christmas I got a number 2 all over in December and decided I wasn't paying a hairdresser for that

I picked up a cheap Remington corded one before this all kicked off but was getting fed up with the cord considering between the 3 of us and my beard I've been using it at least once a week. Unfortunately for me the other two haven't a breeze on how to blend so I've just been buzzing myself with a 2 the entire time as well.

Could be worse, there was an article going around today from the hairdresser group saying they had reports of hairdressers being offered up to 200 quid to do house calls.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why yes!

I prefer the corded ones.

Steady continuous full power.

Nothing as bad as trying to shave with a falling shaver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭b.gud

My wife is a hairdresser so I've had 2 haircuts since lockdown started. I know you all hate me but I don't really care :pac:

Jesus the absolute headcase at today's briefing.

I have huge admiration for the CMO's patience. He refused to allow her to get away with her stupidity or have the last word, he repeated the best practice guidelines in such a clear way for such an aggravated encounter.

You would love to charge the 'journalist' with a public order offence over that, unhinged weapon.

Venjur wrote: »

I have huge admiration for the CMO's patience. He refused to allow her to get away with her stupidity or have the last word, he repeated the best practice guidelines in such a clear way for such an aggravated encounter.

You would love to charge the 'journalist' with a public order offence over that, unhinged weapon.

She was a bit cracked alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A Gemma loon got into the daily briefing, it was a bit mental
    unfortunately I've had a few dealings with the loon in question. Only blessing was it wasnt one of her other siblings....
    Venjur wrote: »

One of the burkes from Castlebar. Such nice nice people.
    Jemima actually did study journalism in nuig. But not working for any paper afaik

unfortunately I've had a few dealings with the loon in question. Only blessing was it wasnt one of her other siblings....

One of the burkes from Castlebar. Such nice nice people.
    Jemima actually did study journalism in nuig. But not working for any paper afaik

Are they the Galway/ayo equivalent of the mutants in Deliverance?

• Advertisement

I see Western People have come out and condemned what she did and tried to distance themselves as much as possible. Some of the replies on Twitter to it are mental. It's actually scary to see some of the shíte, it's almost like direct copy and pastes of some of the MAGA-style ****e you'd see.

Advertisement