Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The books are a bit of a shambles at the moment too. It's way more complicated than the tv show.

I don't think I'll ever re-read those, some of the books really do take a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

awec wrote: »
    The books are a bit of a shambles at the moment too. It's way more complicated than the tv show.

I don't think I'll ever re-read those, some of the books really do take a lot of effort.

I only think the book's are a bit of a shambles because Martins taking an age to write this one(Yes its been ages for all of them) and he keeps doing all these side projects

Its 10 years since the last was published and he still has at least one more to come.
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

So... Trump is just straight up selling pardons, right? He's pardoning Lil' Wayne for possession of a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    So... Trump is just straight up selling pardons, right? He's pardoning Lil' Wayne for possession of a firearm.

Giuliani told a convicted CIA 'leaker' that a pardon could be his....for $2,000,000.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I only think the book's are a bit of a shambles because Martins taking an age to write this one(Yes its been ages for all of them) and he keeps doing all these side projects

Its 10 years since the last was published and he still has at least one more to come.
    I

He'll never finish them. He is taking an age to write them cause I don't think he knows how the hell to get to where he wants the story to end.

• Advertisement

I finished Raised by Wolves last night. While I found it mostly intriguing and gripping to watch, it really does meander and muddle itself as it goes on. I wouldn't recommend it unfortunately unless your a die hard Sci fi fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

awec wrote: »

The fifth book is absolutely rubbish, to the point I doubt I'll bother with the 6th (if it ever comes out). He's lost control of the story, I think that's been apparent for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Even with all the problems we see around us, today is a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1351613241315774465?s=20

I wonder how many Irish people will be referenced in Biden's inauguration speech today?

I'll go with 7 : His Great-Great Grandparents (Blewitts & Finnegans), Heaney, Duffy (Gavin) & Kearney (Rob)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I finished Raised by Wolves last night. While I found it mostly intriguing and gripping to watch, it really does meander and muddle itself as it goes on. I wouldn't recommend it unfortunately unless your a die hard Sci fi fan.

My mate raved about, I think, the first two and said "you absolutely have to watch it!"

watched a couple more and said, "don't bother. Nothing has happened since."

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

I wish I could take credit for this

Boris Johnson has said he will work 'hand in hand' with President Biden, indicating a distinctly more distant relationship than the tongue in arse relationship he had with the previous administration.

My mate raved about, I think, the first two and said "you absolutely have to watch it!"

watched a couple more and said, "don't bother. Nothing has happened since."

Hard to disagree with that. Has a lot of ideas but executes them poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

After having had a look at Trump's pardon list, I think he's played this very well.
    Pardoned a few rappers...his aide Bannon....a high profile Democrat mayor of Detroit, Kilpatrick..... but nothing for himself..or his family.
    It's almost like he's putting Biden in the position of pardoning him for the sake of the unity of the country....a healing gesture to bring both sides together.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it ...but it seems almost a masterstroke to me

Nothing he does is a masterstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Come back to me at 12.01pm EST.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

After having had a look at Trump's pardon list, I think he's played this very well.
    Pardoned a few rappers...his aide Bannon....a high profile Democrat mayor of Detroit, Kilpatrick..... but nothing for himself..or his family.
    It's almost like he's putting Biden in the position of pardoning him for the sake of the unity of the country....a healing gesture to bring both sides together.
    From all reports he had to be talked out of not pardoning himself/his family by aides as it could put him in troublesome legal position
    Dont think he is at all about doing anything for unity of country.
    Not a masterstroke. Just him thinking of himself as usual

OldRio wrote: »
    I wish I could take credit for this

Boris Johnson has said he will work 'hand in hand' with President Biden, indicating a distinctly more distant relationship than the tongue in arse relationship he had with the previous administration.

The Biden win was not good news for Boris but it probably wasn't terrible news either as Trump could have turned on him at any moment. Biden winning seemed to immediately put to an end any talk of breaking the WA and I wonder would we be in a no deal scenario had Trump won ?

Not at all - anyone with any smarts had long since left. I suspect he was told unequivocally that a self pardon would be further incriminating.

And the Bannon pardon is amazingly absurd. The fraud he is charged with, was in relation to people donating to complete the wall. Think about it. Trumps biggest, stupidest fans were defrauded, and the guy who defrauded them just got a pardon from... Trump. Absolute simpletons.

But this is no masterstroke and I whilst I think Biden will strike a conciliatory enough tone, I don't think the justice department will and the FBI can't be happy with the way they were treated by the last administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Trump pardoned Kilpatrick (the former Detroit mayor) in a political move which was orchestrated by others. A wealthy associate of Kilpatrick is a Republican donor and has been lobbying Kushner for the move. It's potentially prudent to pardon a black public figure in a swing state you just lost if there's a mind to a future run at office whether by Trump or a member of his brood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Probably still a bigger crowd at Biden's inauguration than Trump's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Feel good story of the day for me:

Eugene Goodman, the senate police officer who noticed the senate chamber initially unguarded as the mob broke in, and antagonized them into following him in an opposite direction and possibly saved the lives of various senators still in the chamber.

Today he accompanied Biden and Harris up the steps of the inauguration, and it has also emerged that he has been promoted to acting sergeant general. A quick Google suggests his salary could now be around the $170k mark.

Dude is a hero and completely looks the part too:

EsL3b5ZXMAM-taq?format=jpg&name=large

Didn't bother watching the inauguration but was still up last night so watched the first press briefing just for contrast to the last few years.

Not much content but came away with the definite impression that Trump's impeachment will likely progress. I think ultimately both parties want him permanently blocked from office.

Venjur wrote: »
    Didn't bother watching the inauguration but was still up last night so watched the first press briefing just for contrast to the last few years.

Not much content but came away with the definite impression that Trump's impeachment will likely progress. I think ultimately both parties want him permanently blocked from office.

I doubt it. 17 out of 50 odd republicans to cross the aisle is a very tall order. 70 million people still voted for him. They'd be mad to turn on their base.

I doubt it. 17 out of 50 odd republicans to cross the aisle is a very tall order. 70 million people still voted for him. They'd be mad to turn on their base.

I think its quite possible. They don't want him to be the leader of their base. Sane republicans want nothing to do with him and crazy republicans want to replace him. Either way they need him gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

They will most likely vote to impeach Trump.
    He's too divisive within the republican ranks....if he went out on his own as an independent candidate, he's take 40% of the core republican vote with him, and they can't allow that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Will be intriguing to see if there are no-votes or no-shows. I think it's not 17 if some republicans don't show up.

As an aside, I have met 2 people this week who have lost their spouse to covid. The pain is still evident - one spouse in the 60s, the other in the 70s, but in prior good health. All well, 1 week at home, 1 week in ICU, then gone. Brutal.

It's very unlikely he'll be convicted in the senate. There are very few "sane" republicans. Only 10 of 210 Congress republicans voted to impeach. They will tow the party line and not shoot themselves in the foot. If you don't believe me, have a look at the bookies https://www.paddypower.com/politics/us-politics

The former senate majority leader has openly said that Trump provoked the mob and whilst Trump is a more visible and popular figure - McConnell wields much more 'real' power amongst establishment Republicans, Governors, Mayors etc. McConnel decides who gets access to the bigger donors.

I don't like using pop culture to make a point but as we were discussing it recently - Trump is Joffrey to McConnell's Tywin. Trump constantly has to talk about and promote himself, McConnell makes all the political decisions for the GOP however. If he is saying Trump has responsibility for the riots, he'll know he has the votes already.

Regardless, I think it will come from a point of selfishness and that's why it will happen soon. The GOP will want to have more control of the party platform in 2 years and very much so in 4 years. The mid terms get closer every day so the sooner they remove Trump from the equation (in terms of his ability to run) the longer they have to move the narrative. Trump is already talking about launching a 'Patriots party' - convicting him in the senate will end that movement on day one.

There are other factors. Trump has been entirely neutered since Twitter removed him - if he lost the ability to speak, it would be less damaging than losing twitter. His popularity has also tanked since the riots. If the November election was held again today I think his turnout would be notably lower.

Similarly - I find it hard to believe that there isn't a lot more to come out about Trumps time in office. The GOP moving now to help convict him, somewhat divorces their association with any criminality or worse that might become public in the time between now and 2023.

Lastly - I think Biden is going to be a popular enough president. They had to resort to smearing his son in the election as he is a very difficult character to attack. In two years time he'll have probably gotten covid under control, gotten a good vaccination program going, created a wider welfare safety net and gotten the economy stabilised. If the GOP are still wrestling with Trump for control of the Republican base they'll struggle to gain seats in either house and might well lose more to the Democrats.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's very unlikely he'll be convicted in the senate. There are very few "sane" republicans. Only 10 of 210 Congress republicans voted to impeach. They will tow the party line and not shoot themselves in the foot. If you don't believe me, have a look at the bookies https://www.paddypower.com/politics/us-politics

if 85 reps decided not to show up on the day.. then 231 votes to impeach would be enough as it would be 2/3rds majority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if 85 reps decided not to show up on the day.. then 231 votes to impeach would be enough as it would be 2/3rds majority

he's already been impeached by the House, it's up to the Senate to try him. so there needs to be 17 Republican Senators for 67 votes to convict him

Advertisement