Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking stick

• 26-11-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭

My mum would like to get a walking stick.
    She doesn't have hip problems but has lost confidence on unfamiliar ground.
    Her eyesight is not the best.
    She doesn't want an aluminum one, she wants something more traditional.
    So wooden or wooden appearance.
    It doesn't need to be foldable.
    She's not very tall and is quite stooped.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
    Tx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a bunch of walking sticks over the last 12 months, though I am not using one at the moment. My walking ability was very variable, and again it was as much about confidence as anything, so it was easy to forget to pick it up in cafes and shops.

I had a nice one bought at a craft fair, made from a traditional length of stick, with a knob to hold. It looked nice but the knob was useless for hanging over my arm when I needed to do anything - take out my purse for example. So I would have to find somewhere to prop it, and consequently left it behind so it was lost.

I also had a folding aluminium one which was also good to use as you could adjust the length, and it was the one I would use for preference, though again you could not hang it over your arm, though there was a cord loop affair. I had two traditional ones with the bent over hook/handle, one was left behind somewhere. One was a bit too short for me.

You can buy the traditional curved handle ones quite cheaply in places like gift shops and hardware shops. They are absolutely fine and are the cheapest solution if they are likely to get lost. Also the easiest to manage / hook over your arm. Do make sure there is a rubber ferrule on the end for security, metal ends are pretty useless. You can buy ferrules in the kind of all-purpose high street hardware shop.

Find something suitable then have two or three as one is always left in the car or not where you want it.

Advertisement