Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And for those complaining about how Ireland play, and how great and expansive Japans play is..

Ireland have a points difference of +94 to japan's +53....

Rugby is a game where you need to play both sides of the ball.

Bring on the all blacks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

sydthebeat wrote: »
    And for those complaining about how Ireland play, and how great and expansive Japans play is..

Summed up by the 20 phases under the Samoan posts. It’s ugly rugby lets at least be honest but winning rugby in certain situations. Hats off to Japan and their kiwi coaching for playing with width, pace, offloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Summed up by the 20 phases under the Samoan posts. It’s ugly rugby lets at least be honest but winning rugby in certain situations. Hats off to Japan and their kiwi coaching for playing with width, pace, offloading.

We were down to 14 men, and trying to run down the clock. They're the exact situations that you play 'ugly rugby'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

For all the talk of how imaginative and skillful Japan are with the ball they're incredibly naive at times. Several times this world cup they've insisted on going for the try when all they needed was 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Nonsense. Ireland has the game won, we're down to 14 and didn't have to give anything away. All they had to do is keep it tight and wind the clock down. And they still scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DGRulz wrote: »
    For all the talk of how imaginative and skillful Japan are with the ball they're incredibly naive at times. Several times this world cup they've insisted on going for the try when all they needed was 3 points.

Sounds familiar. :)

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Nonsense. Ireland has the game won, we're down to 14 and didn't have to give anything away. All they had to do is keep it tight and wind the clock down. And they still scored.

But we did the exact same thing in multiple games. Japan for instance

Oh yeah sorry I forgot we have hidden moves we will see them next week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

sydthebeat wrote: »

When on form we play the brand of rugby that the all blacks don’t like. We slow the game down. We bash them up front.
    NZ want every team to throw the ball around, that’s when they are at their best. It’s gonna be fascinating next weekend.

When on form we play the brand of rugby that the all blacks don’t like. We slow the game down. We bash them up front.
    NZ want every team to throw the ball around, that’s when they are at their best. It’s gonna be fascinating next weekend.

That’s true. Hopefully we have the game of our lives. Can’t change our style now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm really excited for the match myself. We usually play NZ tight, potentially last game ever for coach and captain. Should be a cracker.

• Advertisement

Kiwis won't have played a competitive game since round one, they'll be under cooked. Retallik has no minutes under his belt. Every match from here on out is potentially Joe and Rory's last for Ireland. We've got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So to win it we’re looking at potentially NZ, England, SA...

If you’re going to do it you may as well do it right!

Bridge93 wrote: »
    So to win it we’re looking at potentially NZ, England, SA...

If you’re going to do it you may as well do it right!

No one can say we don't deserve it if we do it. Quarter final is maybe the best of the knockouts to get NZtoo given their history their.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Who would people like to see starting next weekend?

For me:

Healy,
    Best,
    Furlong,
    Henderson,
    Ryan,
    Ruddock,
    van der Flier,
    Stander,
    Murray,
    Sexton,
    Stockdale,
    Farrell,
    Ringrose,
    Conway,
    Kearney

Farrell as Aki not available as it stands, Henshaw bit off the boil, and Kearney instead of Larmour for his ability in defense and reading the backline and his positioning, because of the attacking threat of NZ.

mystic86 wrote: »

For me:

Healy,
    Best,
    Furlong,
    Henderson,
    Ryan,
    Ruddock,
    van der Flier,
    Stander,
    Murray,
    Sexton,
    Stockdale,
    Farrell,
    Ringrose,
    Conway,
    Kearney

Farrell as Aki not available as it stands, Henshaw bit off the boil, and Kearney instead of Larmour for his ability in defense and reading the backline and his positioning, because of the attacking threat of NZ.

His would be my side with Henshaw instead of Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

mystic86 wrote: »

For me:

Healy,
    Best,
    Furlong,
    Henderson,
    Ryan,
    Ruddock,
    van der Flier,
    Stander,
    Murray,
    Sexton,
    Stockdale,
    Farrell,
    Ringrose,
    Conway,
    Kearney

Henshaw will start without a doubt. How silly would it to keep an injured center for the entire tournament only not to play him (for the big game we have been keeping him for) when he is finally fit.

Other than that, this would be my team selection except maybe earls in for Conway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can't see Conway starting ahead of Earls. That would be a massive surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

My 23 Vs. NZ:

Healy, Best, Furlong
    Ryan, Henderson
    POM, Stander, JVDF
    Murray, Sexton
    Henshaw, Ringrose
    Stockdale, Earls
    Kearney

Kilcoyne
    Cronin
    Porter
    Beirne
    Ruddock
    Carbery*
    Carty
    Larmour

* Just to be outrageous! I think us winning depends on Murray playing 80, and I don't think McGrath offers enough if we are chasing game. I'd risk it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

That’s that so. Four year cycles etc. talking of South Africa has been foolhardy for us all

We have shown nothing in the last year to worry New Zealand. 2018 seems an age away.

We have shown nothing in the last 12 months to worry New Zealand. Apart from ya know... beating New Zealand.

We have shown nothing in the last 12 months to worry New Zealand. Apart from ya know... beating New Zealand.

Ok sure let’s live off that. That’s should see us through. It didn’t help us subsequently but sure look it’s great.

With Sexton playing like he is we have a shot. If we are in any way off tho and throwing passes to the floor like all tournament it could be a 2012 job.

We couldn’t deal with Japan’s pace and handling so I’m struggling to see how we get a result. We needed South Africa

If we lose it will be ah look sure how could we expect to have beaten the World Champions.

I don’t know...perhaps by not playing like drains against Japan.

Our best opportunity gone in 55 minutes of madness. Ironically playing the least joe Schmidt like!!

• Advertisement

"it could be a 2012 job."

Yep, just like losing to World Cup Holders Spain 4:0"

;-)

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "it could be a 2012 job."

Yep, just like losing to World Cup Holders Spain 4:0"

;-)

Nah was referring to the test in Hamilton in June of that year! Thankfully I don’t think that can happen with a Schmidt team although twickers recently

For all the love of Japan this is New Zealand style rugby set by two of world rugby’s finest brains. It could get bloody in these conditions and in our form and I’ll be sickened. I hope we can do it. Need the best week of prep ever and we need to double down on our usual narrow style

Surely 2012 is a great example of how quickly things can change? Yeah they lost 60-0 but they were also robbed of at least a draw the week beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

People keep making sunk cost arguments like , well it would be stupid to change style now and it would be stupid to not play henshaw because we carried him injured so far. We will play our style because it's our best chance of winning and henshaw will play because he is our best option.

I don't believe the management is prideful enough to make bad decisions based on sunk cost.

Well, we're not losing 60 Nil!

We'll put up a good fight, and a couple of bounces of the ball will probably be the difference IMO.

NZ -12 is probably right handicap, but I wouldn't be shocked were we to win by 12 either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

The negativity around here these days is just so tedious.

We may lose... but what an opportunity. The lads have a shot at knocking the world champions out of the competition.

Yeah, our chances of getting to a semi-final would've been higher if we were facing South Africa.

But **** it. This is a shot at making some real history. It doesn't get much more exciting than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

People keep making sunk cost arguments like , well it would be stupid to change style now and it would be stupid to not play henshaw because we carried him injured so far. We will play our style because it's our best chance of winning and henshaw will play because he is our best option.

I don't believe the management is prideful enough to make bad decisions based on sunk cost.

How is this a sunk cost argument? This is just about practicality/feasibility... assuming we haven't practiced an alternative style sufficiently to this point, it would not be practical to change it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We can get the first score, I'd be confident of a tight game. We're no mugs with a lead, Japan game notwithstanding. I doubt NZ are particularly happy about having to play us. Joe has probably built this team with beating NZ in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

NZ to get a red card in the first 20 for a shoulder to the head. Ireland to win by more than a converted try!

COYBIG!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The negativity around here these days is just so tedious.

We may lose... but what an opportunity. The lads have a shot at knocking the world champions out of the competition.

Yeah, our chances of getting to a semi-final would've been higher if we were facing South Africa.

But **** it. This is a shot at making some real history. It doesn't get much more exciting than this.

Agreed.

Italy were genuinely furious to not be able to play against NZ, and they would have been clobbered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement