Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird Feeder

• 27-01-2019 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

Our bird feeder/ station broke during the winds last night, and we're looking to get a replacement.
    I'm tired of the "usual" feeders - does anyone have any suggestions for something that is more unusual / distinct, or could act as a garden feature also?
    we live in the countryside & have a large enough garden, so might go with individual small feeders, but if anyone has suggestions for something unusual, that would be appreciated.

SparrowHawk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be perfectly honest, if the aim is to feed garden birds then the most effective is a series of conventional feeders. I have all types but have a preference for plain diecast aluminium, or stainless steel, for ease of cleaning and weathering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could make something like these, but you'd have to make sure you drill some holes to ensure proper drainage, and also don't forget to clean them out and wash them properly on a regular basis to avoid the spread of any infection.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoyv_BMTGcde9cE3VEIoIouBinuGvaC6KkthKgrxoDwgKXVVoIrQ
    1-diy-birdefeeder.jpg
    2-tea-cup.jpg
    8-diy-birdfeeder.jpg
    18-sisal-rope.jpg
    Eva-Solo-bird-feeders-at-John-Lewis.jpg?format=original

unique-natural-wooden-hanging-bird-feeder-800x515.jpg

I made one very similar to this one, but I glued a tray at the bottom.
    7-plastic-bottle.jpg

You could also use a "salt pig", or if you want to invest a bit more you could ask a local potter to make a feeder for you, that way you could decide on the design yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You can use metal feeders, such as Stokes Select sedona screen, Woodlink coppertop thistle tube,... It's easy cleaning and filling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement