Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 1980s

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Go on give us an example of how one can be screwed over by shazzer, besides cutting the power during a gig, planting family members and friends in the pit to egg your band, and hiring session musicians on a day rate to cut original musicians out of their royalties?

Designed most of Ozzy's early album covers and t-shirts, got screwed over for all royalties, never received a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I wasn't born in 1980s and I don't listen to any 80s rock, mainly because they didn't use scream vocals much.
    That's a very lame excuse not to listen to 80's rock and metal.

And it's not like there was a shortage of bands in the 80's using harsh vocals.

Bands like Venom, Hellhammer and Slayer used pseudo-growls to great effect, but Bathory were probably the first band to use proper extreme metal vocals in 1984.

Also in 1984, Die Kreuzen were using screamed vocals in hardcore punk, long before screamo became a thing.

And then later on in the 1980's you had bands like Death setting the blueprint for death metal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And then later on in the 1980's you had bands like Death setting the blueprint for death metal

In the early and mid 80s you had the start of death metal (with Bathory) - hard to beat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Yeah Possessed are worth a mention. I still see them as a thrash metal band though, but they set the wheels in motion for death metal.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saw these guys in 1979, then 1982:

479383.jpg

and again in 1986:

479384.jpg479385.jpg

In terms of the heavier end of rock, no-one else came close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭baamus

In the 80s I was very far from hard & heavy but remember myself standing in front of TV in my parents bedroom it was Hammer March from The Wall, so must be 1982, that impressed me, well maybe because of animation I don't remember now.

Then remember in 1987, it was Status Quo - In the Army Now, this song was absolutely everywhere.

Zappa's Bobby Brown got my attention too, also through TV.

Then lots of Queen in 80s I believe, Mercury was really outstanding.

Then David Bowie. Newer knew him well honestly but liked his voice.

Def Leppard. Pour Some Sugar on Me

Whitesnake. Here I go Again

Ratt. Round and Round

Europe. The Final Countdown. Never liked it honestly but it was everywhere then.

Oh, AC/DC were absolutely cool even I wasn't into heavy music then, just brilliant.

I didn't know much of Black Sabbath then but Ozzy was always a sweetie, Alice Cooper too.

I was never a fan of Metallica but remember One, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, remember their concert on TV was pretty good. I've listened to Metallica much later, Master of Puppet was pretty heavy but first I really liked was Orion. I like instrumental music most.

Then I remember Van Halen and remember here and there, lots of hairy glam in 80s but I rarely took them seriously. Oh, KISS were always my favourites, absolutely.

I've discovered some bands from 80s much later as I said I was far from heavy music in 80s.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

baamus wrote: »
    Alice Cooper too.
    Cooper was arguably in his pomp in the 70s. He's one of those that continues playing to this day. This was a picture I took on his "the Nightmare Returns" 1986 tour:

479399.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Beasty wrote: »
    Saw these guys in 1979, then 1982:

and again in 1986:

Wow you saw them with Bon Scott? Would have loved to see him live.

First time I saw them was 1982 in the RDS with the brilliant Y&T playing support.

Saw them again in 1984 headlining Monsters Of Rock in Castle Donnington in 1984. Unbelievable line up that day:

Motley Crue
    Accept
    Y&T
    Gary Moore
    Ozzy
    Van Halen
    AC/DC

Saw AC/DC for the last time in Punchestown in 2009.

adox wrote: »
    Wow you saw them with Bon Scott? Would have loved to see him live.
    Unfortunately not. I meant 1980, not 1979 - it was at the Deeside Leisure Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

adox wrote: »

Saw them again in 1984 headlining Monsters Of Rock in Castle Donnington in 1984. Unbelievable line up that day:

Motley Crue
    Accept
    Y&T
    Gary Moore
    Ozzy
    Van Halen
    AC/DC

Had to be one of the best Donnington line ups ever.
    I remember Kerrang though slated the top 2 but I think it was more of a "how cool are we, we can slate who we want".

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    Had to be one of the best Donnington line ups ever.
    I remember Kerrang though slated the top 2 but I think it was more of a "how cool are we, we can slate who we want".

It was great.

Motley Crue’s first big gig in Europe, they were warned about their swearing beforehand and every second word from them was mother****er.

I was a huge Accept fan at the time so it was great to see them and they were brilliant.

Ozzy had Jake E Lee on guitar and they were phenomenal.

Van Halen with the classic line up in their pomp.

AC/DC were great as usual.

Was a tiring trip thought. Booked through the Sound Cellar, it was the ferry across and a coach to Derby. Think we stayed overnight the night before as part of the package.

I was 18 at the time and had never been in such a big crowd in my life.

It was a scorcher of a day too and the volume from the stage was insane throughout. One of the loudest shows I was ever at. I think only Motörhead at Dalymount Park was louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I was too young for 84 but made it in 87, rained almost the whole day.
    Crowds were huge alright.

Unfortunately not. I meant 1980, not 1979 - it was at the Deeside Leisure Centre

Sure we may have crossed paths at some point, seem the same sort of age, both avid United followers (i went all home and away from 88-91 and just home before and after for a few years), been to most of the same gigs, i broke my gig cherry at Deeside in 1981 (i was 10) wit Adam & the Ants :pac:

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sure we may have crossed paths at some point, seem the same sort of age, both avid United followers (i went all home and away from 88-91 and just home before and after for a few years), been to most of the same gigs, i broke my gig cherry at Deeside in 1981 (i was 10) wit Adam & the Ants :pac:
    Went to Manchester University in '79

Stretford End '79 to around 82, then LMTB in the old United Road stand for a couple of years before upgrading to Season Ticket in '84/5. Been in pretty much the same place ever since except when the rebuilt the stand in 1996

In terms of gigs attended I saw the likes of Elton John, Judas Priest, Slade, the Who, Status Quo, Wings and the like at the Apollo. (better not mention Gary Glitter, but at least I never took the camera when I went to see him, although I do make a very brief appearance at the front of the stage for one of his Apollo gigs that was released on VHS:o)

Lived in Leeds between graduating in 1982 and early 1986. saw the Stones at Roundhay Park in 82:

479427.jpg479428.jpg

Thin Lizzy at Leeds Queens Hall in '83:

479430.jpg

(also saw Elton there 2 nights in succession in '84)

Bowie at Milton Keynes in '83:

479429.jpg

Freddie's last concert with Queen at Knebworth in '86:

479431.jpg

(had seen also them a few weeks previously at Maine Road)

Saw Bowie again in his Glass Spider Tour at Maine Road

I took about 550 photos at Live Aid, and was back at Wembley in 1986 for the Human Rights Now concert, involving Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Sting

Guess the 1980s were quite an adventure for me music (and football) wise throughout the 1980s

Went to Manchester University in '79

Stretford End '79 to around 82, then LMTB in the old United Road stand for a couple of years before upgrading to Season Ticket in '84/5. Been in pretty much the same place ever since except when the rebuilt the stand in 1996

In terms of gigs attended I saw the likes of Elton John, Judas Priest, Slade, the Who, Status Quo, Wings and the like at the Apollo. (better not mention Gary Glitter, but at least I never took the camera when I went to see him, although I do make a very brief appearance at the front of the stage for one of his Apollo gigs that was released on VHS:o)

Started off in Block C at OT, was only 13 so i had to sit next to the guy who ran the coach, hit 15/16 and upgraded to United Road, as close to away fans as possible, then after a few season moved to Stretford End, just to left of tunnel. The old LMTB's were great, pain in the hole when ya lost it though :pac::pac:

Seen too many gigs at The Apollo, loved the little pub (Aspley house) behind it. Jillies was one of my favourite haunts when in the city.

The late 80's and early 90's were so great for gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah Possessed are worth a mention. I still see them as a thrash metal band though, but they set the wheels in motion for death metal.

there's a fairly decent looking thrash documentary coming out soon and they feature. Blew my mind finding out the guitarist was Larry laLonde :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there's a fairly decent looking thrash documentary coming out soon and they feature. Blew my mind finding out the guitarist was Larry laLonde :)
    He has no time for them now though.
    He was also in Blind Illusion along with Les. The Sane Asylum still sounds good

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Operation: mindcrime

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Operation: mindcrime

Still listen to it to this day. Played the whole album last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

At the time it would have been the thrash scene of the late 80's, but in hindsight if I had to pick one tune from the 80's (I think it just about qualifies!) it would be Randy Rhodes on Crazy Train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

got into metal in 1988 and still listen to it most days..wearing my donnington 1996 tshirt today....the 80s and 90s were great times for a rocker...so many great bands

Advertisement