Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll buy it on the Windows Store before i buy it on Epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll buy it on the Windows Store before i buy it on Epic.
    If they don't want my money I got no issues with holding on to it for how ever long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I was pretty indifferent to the Epic store as it's not like I haven't got Steam, Origin and Ubisoft launchers on my system already so one more isn't an issue and Epic did give me Subnautica for free. But all this nabbing exclusives along with the whole spying on my system without permission lark, is really pissing me off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So how many months until we start seeing the gaming news headlines where Outer Worlds becomes the most pirated game in history? It wouldn't surprise me given it was #3 on Steam wishlists before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Venom wrote: »
    I was pretty indifferent to the Epic store as it's not like I haven't got Steam, Origin and Ubisoft launchers on my system already so one more isn't an issue and Epic did give me Subnautica for free. But all this nabbing exclusives along with the whole spying on my system without permission lark, is really pissing me off :(

I've uninstalled it and won't be going back. It wasn't a very good storefront to begin with, the spying is dodgy as ****, and the whole buying exclusives is just ****ty.

I was looking forward to the Outer Worlds a lot, real shame they went this direction (Phoenix Point too).

I guess I'll just have to pirate them, because there's no sense in rewarding this kind of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It'll be quite nice to know that I don't have to worry about this exclusivity stuff, as I will be playing on PS4. Console gaming 1, PC gaming, well probably like 6 million but we'll take this one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It'll be quite nice to know that I don't have to worry about this exclusivity stuff, as I will be playing on PS4. Console gaming 1, PC gaming, well probably like 6 million but we'll take this one!
    I think Angry Joe said it best; PC has now managed to start a console war on PC via launchers (let's remember there's not only Epic and Steam that has them as mandatory).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nody wrote: »
    I think Angry Joe said it best; Epic has now managed to start a console war on PC via launchers (let's remember there's not only Epic and Steam that has them as mandatory).

That's more accurate i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't really get the hate, I don't really have a problem with Epic Launcher. If it does indeed lead to lower prices, that's a great thing.

I already have Battlenet, UPlay, Origin, GOG, Steam....one more isn't going to hurt.
    PC has now managed to start a console war on PC via launchers

To get the best of both consoles, you'd have to physically buy both, which most people aren't willing, or able, to justify.

Having to weigh up the pros and cons of each and then pick one is the basis for console wars.

Having to simply install another launcher on your PC at zero additional cost (and possibly even make game savings) is not remotely comparable.

I think talk of pirating the game 'so not to reward this behavior' is pretty low in itself.....either buy the game and support the developer, or don't, and 'punish' their choices that way.

You would think Epic Launcher costs $199 to download and install the way people are going on about it, rather than it simply being another launcher in a sea of existing launchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You would think Epic Launcher costs $199 to download and install the way people are going on about it, rather than it simply being another launcher in a sea of existing launchers.

I think people want the choice of where to buy their games. But definitely the future lies on having multiple accounts spread across different launchers, whether people can accept that is another thing.
    Not predominantly a PC player but use my Epic Account for no other reason now other than the free games every 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

That choice doesn't already exist though. EA Games are only on Origin, Blizzard games only on Battlenet, etc. Sure, Epic didn't develop Outer Worlds, but fundamentally I don't get the big issue being made about it only being on their storefront, it's not a new concept.

People will still be able to buy them elsewhere, just will have to activate and play through Epic Store. Of the 100's of games I own on Steam/Uplay/Origin/etc, only a handful were bought through the actual client.

Rest were bought on Kinguin/G2play and similar sites.

I mean, lower prices are good for gamers. What's one more launcher to that end.

That choice doesn't already exist though. EA Games are only on Origin, Blizzard games only on Battlenet, etc. Sure, Epic didn't develop Outer Worlds, but fundamentally I don't get the big issue being made about it only being on their storefront, it's not a new concept.

People will still be able to buy them elsewhere, just will have to activate and play through Epic Store. Of the 100's of games I own on Steam/Uplay/Origin/etc, only a handful were bought through the actual client.

I mean, lower prices are good for gamers. What's one more launcher to that end.
    You mean beyond minor things such as it's a spyware copying information you've not given them permission to and uploading it to their servers? That they are owned by a Chinese company and have had multiple data breaches? Break GDPR rules? No chat functionality, no cloud saving functionality, no offline gaming functionality, only implemented a search function a week ago? But hey; it's only another launcher so that's ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean, lower prices are good for gamers.

Probably one of the main reasons Epic's offer is so attractive to developers & publishers. The grey market that has popped up around Steam surely significantly eats into their revenue. Who knows what share a developer gets from their game being sold on an iffy site like Kinguin? Whereas with Epic they get an 88% share (compared to 70% for a straight Steam sale) plus potentially a decent exclusivity bonus. Even if the grey market starts forming around Epic's store, the bonuses and revenue share will counter it somewhat.

Something being 'good for gamers' can have consequences, and so personally I'm not surprised many developers and publishers have been so enthusiastic about Epic's offering. And while some degree of that is corporate greed, I'm sure much of it is also a perfectly reasonable interest in getting the best deal available to them.

Epic Launcher has chat functionality, it also does have offline mode and cloud saves is supposed to be coming shortly.

I don't think the 'spyware' claims are remotely as sinister as are being made out. Tencent hold a minority stake in Epic, yet we've got people making insinuations that the Chinese Government are pulling the strings of a video company in order to spy on the west based on this.

Honestly, people just really seem to want to be illogically outraged over having another launcher.

Personally I think Epic Launch is good for gamers, should lead to lower prices for consumer, better cuts for developers. That's a good thing, Valve and Steam are currently crucifying developers....but people don't seem to care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Honestly, people just really seem to want to be illogically outraged over having another launcher.

Nope. There's multiple valid reasons why people are annoyed over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id like to see anyone point to one time,just one,that we here got a cheaper game because it was on the epic store?

None of us did,they did it once in one region with metro,and to me that was onpy because of the backlash. Lets wait and see if the launcher actually gives us cheaper games before using that as an argument for the launcher.

Sounds like there's a market for a 'All-in-One' launcher, you log into all your accounts through, oh lets call it 'Launcher', and your games come up like Steam, etc, and you launch them. Pretty sure if you could get the major players on board, people may even be willing to pay an annual sub (of about €20) just to use this. I probably would if it made everything easier.

However, this seems like a conversation for a different thread and we're bringing this one off topic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sounds like there's a market for a 'All-in-One' launcher, you log into all your accounts through, oh lets call it 'Launcher', and your games come up like Steam, etc, and you launch them. Pretty sure if you could get the major players on board, people may even be willing to pay an annual sub (of about €20) just to use this. I probably would if it made everything easier.

However, this seems like a conversation for a different thread and we're bringing this one off topic.

Like Playnite?

But back on-topic, I'll pass on this until it's on Steam, when it'll also hopefully be patched and cheaper. It's not like I don't have a massive backlog to get through as it is.

Spear wrote: »
    Like Playnite?

With that around, what's all the fuss about so?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

With that around, what's all the fuss about so?!

It still launches the games launcher.

"yo we heard you like launchers so we put a launcher in your launcher"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

And then, this will happen:
    standards.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't really get the hate, I don't really have a problem with Epic Launcher. If it does indeed lead to lower prices, that's a great thing.

I already have Battlenet, UPlay, Origin, GOG, Steam....one more isn't going to hurt.

To get the best of both consoles, you'd have to physically buy both, which most people aren't willing, or able, to justify.

Having to weigh up the pros and cons of each and then pick one is the basis for console wars.

Having to simply install another launcher on your PC at zero additional cost (and possibly even make game savings) is not remotely comparable.

I think talk of pirating the game 'so not to reward this behavior' is pretty low in itself.....either buy the game and support the developer, or don't, and 'punish' their choices that way.

The only concern I really have with the epic launcher is apparently it's not as secure as steam and it's a bit dodgy around GDPR compliance.

If they closed these loops I would have no issues with it.

Competition however in the market place is good for the consumer, so I'm glad steam has a bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The epic store definitely lacks features and has some security questions surrounding it. Plus lack of linux support hurts but the idea that exclusives are a new thing here, remind me how many games I couldn't play if I didn't want Valve's version of drm?

Then again I rarely buy games new so timed exclusives don't worry me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Outer Worlds is releasing October 25th 2019.

Very disappointed to see its an fps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very disappointed to see its an fps

What did you think it was?

Calhoun wrote: »
    What did you think it was?

A game that would fit into Obsidian/Black Isle's backlog. I was envisaging a remake of Fallout 2 of sorts after seeing the initial trailer; expecting an isometric rpg. This looks more like Fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A game that would fit into Obsidian/Black Isle's backlog. I was envisaging a remake of Fallout 2 of sorts after seeing the initial trailer; expecting an isometric rpg. This looks more like Fallout 4.

It looks more like what Fallout 4 should have looked have looked like tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Trailer looked pretty janky, to be honest. Did they borrow Gamebryo? That guy's facial animation looked about as good as Fallout 3. Gameplay elements don't look particularly smooth or interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The Outer Worlds is releasing October 25th 2019.

[/quote]

Advertisement