Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Garda Uniform

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Most of it is Ok. The black and yellow zip top looks like something they ordered off from a work safety company in China who only had black dye not navy dye and stuck on a few Garda logos from the internet. They need a top like it but it doesn't match the rest of the uniform and I am fairly sure I saw some lads driving forktrucks in a chilled warehouse wearing the exact same ones, minus the logo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd imagine that will happen sooner rather than later. Too big a jump for management to make at the moment, but I think in time it will be realised that the traditional hat doesn't sit right with the new uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was a feature in both main evening news bulletin on VMN and RTE this evening , I'm assuming Claire Byrne Live will follow up tonight with a Mock up , cat walk or perhaps a live arrest by members wearing their new uniform. The excitement of it all 😳🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Looks rubbish. Every time they change the uniform they don't really make it look better.

jacket doesn't match the trousers. I have some of these trousers and the material looks terrible after a few washes. Hat looks totally wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

I think I saw the AD for this, they changed their number too. 😂🤣

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Funny that the picture for the bike unit is in front of a car.

I think it is misleading a lot of people into thinking this is the standard uniform now.

Also are raised epaulets not a bad idea on something you might be getting in a scuffle in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That's not the bike unit...that's the new soft shell jacket Gardai will be wearing. There's a new bike jacket of a similar style to that but it's not shown in the article. This is the standard uniform now...all the photos you've seen are the new uniform.

'Raised epaulettes'...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ok I saw a picture that listed that as the "mountain bike jacket" and still had the older looking style jackets. Good to hear anyway as these look better to me.

The epaulettes are in the old kit too I just thought having stuff that can be grabbed is nota good idea.Like I know a lot of bouncers dont like grabable parts on clothes for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,773 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looks alright with the exception of those polo shirts… the Garda logo looks just stuck on..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

When is it actually operational, then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No one knows. Bit of a farce. I'm surprised there haven't been more questions asked, it's over six months since the new uniform was unveiled as going operational 'shortly'. Should be questions asked over procurement, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

First picture of the new uniform that I saw as on Breakingnew.ie and unfortunately I know the colours are wrong but the first thing I thought of was Buzz Lightyear :-(

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's only secured by a button/piece of thread or velcro, it's not like you can lift a guard and throw them down with it.

The hi vis combo looks awful, all the Star Trek/Lidl/GAA top jokes ring true. Looks desperate with the traditional hats.

The light blue is less worse but shirts look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I always have a laugh at post on subjects like this.

Some people just can't stand change and no matter what, will search and find some fault in any type of change even if the change MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER TO THEM!"

Its a garda uniform. So effin what. It won't affect me and it won't affect anyone except those wearing it. Yet some people think they can comment on it by a couple of photos.

It really is silly season

You never ever comment on anything at all that doesn't affect you, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Personally I think the only ones who's opinion counts is those who have to wear the new uniform, or had to wear the old one.

Those who say "it should look more like the US style" seems not to understand there are thousands of police forces in the US, all with very different uniforms. Some black, some grey, some blue, some "other".

Some have baseball caps, some have similar caps to us with a pointed crown, some have the smokey bear. (Many New England forces wear this for some reason).

Some have high riding boots and jodhpurs, even for officers who work from cars. Some have combat trousers. Some wear overalls. Some wear shorts and a polo shirt.

So please, if you think it should look like whoever, can you at least give an example, and your reasons why.

Personally, as one who wore a Garda uniform once, and still wears uniforms unless I can avoid it, the key thinking should be:

Will it make me more comfortable doing my job, in all ranges of Irish weather?

Will I be easily identifiable to someone unfamiliar with our language & traditions?

Is it better than the old one?

Yes on all 3 in my books, tho the hat also needs to be put away with the tunic, whistle & chain. It's not a practical hat for operational purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just saw it in the flesh. It's really really nice and looks light..the pics made it look like a fisher price uniform but it's lovely. The gard seemed happy with himself anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Compared old vs New at Dublin Castle earlier today (what a day!) and finally there is a clear difference between the ceremonial uniform and the operational uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WHen I saw it the Gardai were happy with it . "Better than what we had before' And they wee at ease in it WHich is what matters. And it can be ckearly seen at a distance as Garda unifirm,

And these points are all that matter fror day to day policing

Advertisement