Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

eyerer wrote: »
    I loved this game, beautiful art and music.
    I'm gonna replay through it as the definitive edition before the sequel comes :)

Still enthralled in it, have a feeling I'm getting towards the end but it's just so, so relaxing and as you say visually/audibly about perfect. And holy feck I never knew there was a sequel!

Hilariously, the more and more I get through the game the more and more similar to Super Metroid it continues to be. Given that was my favourite SNES game and maybe one of my all time top 10 favourite games, that's definitely not a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Billy86 wrote:
    Hilariously, the more and more I get through the game the more and more similar to Super Metroid it continues to be. Given that was my favourite SNES game and maybe one of my all time top 10 favourite games, that's definitely not a bad thing!

Give Axiom Verge a go for another metroid fix

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The donations will only be given to the family from sales within the US I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Billy86 wrote: »
    Still enthralled in it, have a feeling I'm getting towards the end but it's just so, so relaxing and as you say visually/audibly about perfect. And holy feck I never knew there was a sequel!

Another similar game that's well worth a look is guacamelee. Really really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Billy86 wrote: »
    Playing Ori and the Blind Forest the last few days, got my first PC build in Oct/Nov and it's been on the shortlist but long-fingered from the day I got everything up and running. Super Metroid was maybe the first game I got completely hooked on as a kid, it's pretty funny how remarkably similar this game is all the way down to the double jumps, wall jumps, a good few animations, etc... but my god it's fantastic. First game in well over a decade (maybe even since N64 era) that I've played where you can die 15-20 times over and over and over and over trying to get somewhere and not get even the slightest bit frustrated. And the visuals, and the music... it's utterly mind blowing.

Bought in a few years ago for a song and the best few euro I've ever spent I'd say.

Stunning game and a ton of fun.

Surprisingly most people I mention it to never heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The donations will only be given to the family from sales within the US I think.

And not even from all states. And not all the money anyway, only 3.50 of the 5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Still a nice gesture even if it's probably something to do with tax avoidance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've come to a conclusion.

Resident Evil 6 is straight up garbage. Legend of dragoon levels of soulless garbage and is a contender for worst game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think RDR2 is going to be a huge disappointment.

Rockstar have hitched their wagon to microtransactions now and I expect a passable story mode with a huge focus on RDR: Online and its version of Shark cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

In that case can we expect it to be in the top 10 sales list for the next 5 years ala GTA V

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There's only so many horses and cowboy hats you can buy though. GTA has so many possibilities, RDR not so much. Will be interesting to see what they come up with but yeah, RDR Online will definitely be their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting article showing Devs revealing secrets like in BioShock, the enemies first shot will always miss, the cars in Hi-Octane have different stats but are actually the exact same as each other under the hood and the xenomorph in the latest Alien game has 2 brains, 1 always knows your location and gives hints to the 2nd brain which controls the body :D

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/2/16247112/video-game-developer-secrets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Interesting article showing Devs revealing secrets like in BioShock, the enemies first shot will always miss, the cars in Hi-Octane have different stats but are actually the exact same as each other under the hood and the xenomorph in the latest Alien game has 2 brains, 1 always knows your location and gives hints to the 2nd brain which controls the body :D

The Left 4 Dead one I've seen in action.
    Hanging in the back shotgunning when necessary and suddenly it feels like all the infected are coming for you specifically.

That Alien Isolation 2 brains thing just makes it even scarier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Interesting. What people perceive as good AI is usually really simple. The Halo devs made a paper about the AI in Halo were people thought the AI was better at higher difficulties were in reality it had more hit points and hit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

SOOOOO, who is gonne "re-install" the divison for the latest 1.8 patch and DLC. It looks quite good and from the vids I watched alot has been re-worked.

Gonna load it back up for a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    SOOOOO, who is gonne "re-install" the divison for the latest 1.8 patch and DLC. It looks quite good and from the vids I watched alot has been re-worked.

Gonna load it back up for a look anyway.

I bought the gold edition with all the DLC. I haven't played any of it past the base game. The gear management just got so tedious and the game wasn't fun anymore.

https://twitter.com/americanmcgee/status/904274027459395584

Would be seriously into another Alice game. Always considered Madness Returns a hidden gem or overlooked. Loved the platforming, weapons and dark vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

J. Marston wrote:
    Would be seriously into another Alice game. Always considered Madness Returns a hidden gem or overlooked. Loved the platforming, weapons and dark vibe.

One of my faves of that gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I liked the vibe and look of Alice, but I got bored of the gameplay.. it got repetitive I thought. A new game with less padding would be nice anyway.

I just finished Inside, I read a glowing review and the gameplay is good, but the ending.. I was like wtf? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sweetie wrote: »
    One of my faves of that gen.

I picked up the 360 version that came with the previous PC game, pretty good value too, great creative art direction as well.

That Alice game is something everyone seems to love but I just don't get. It looks lovely but the gameplay gets boring and repetitive and the writing a bit crappy. The reviews were spot on about it, it's alright but nothing special.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That Alice game is something everyone seems to love but I just don't get. It looks lovely but the gameplay gets boring and repetitive and the writing a bit crappy. The reviews were spot on about it, it's alright but nothing special.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I meant to post when it started but I got busy. GDQ were doing a few days of runs for Houston Food Bank, it's finished today I think. If you follow the YouTube channel I'm sure they'll upload them there. It's probably posted somewhere already, too lazy to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It is fantastic to look at but I found some of the platforming incredibly frustrating and it was always a game I had to force myself to play. Never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It is fantastic to look at but I found some of the platforming incredibly frustrating and it was always a game I had to force myself to play. Never finished it.
    I found that too, only had a quick go. I'd prefer to play the older one. Probably hasn't aged well but nostalgia covers that up lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

eyerer wrote: »
    I just finished Inside, I read a glowing review and the gameplay is good, but the ending.. I was like wtf? :pac:

Thought that it was a fantastic ending myself, the kind where you can interpret it yourself.

There's a secret ending in there two, which was just as interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I found that too, only had a quick go. I'd prefer to play the older one. Probably hasn't aged well but nostalgia covers that up lol

The first one was free with the second game when I bought it on the PS3. It has aged horrifically.

Knack 2 reviews coming in.

It's not pretty.

• Advertisement

Knack 2 reviews coming in.

It's not pretty.

You'd have to wonder what they were thinking.
    I also wonder how much it cost them, to make a sequel to such a terrible game in the first place.
    There must be other Sony properties that would have benefited from the effort, maybe a MediEvil or a proper new Wipeout title

Advertisement