Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacment for Cessna 172

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Okay, I just assumed that since the cesnas were the flying equivalent of a Nissan micra that they'd be the start of pilot training...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Okay, I just assumed that since the cesnas were the flying equivalent of a Nissan micra that they'd be the start of pilot training...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭sparky42

Markcheese wrote: »

Nah, for us they were used for other roles mainly in regards to the Troubles, since then I think they've just been used for whatever was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

sparky42 wrote: »
    Nah, for us they were used for other roles mainly in regards to the Troubles, since then I think they've just been used for whatever was needed.

So ya trained in the PC-9 to fly the Cessna lol. No wonder they're all leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

So ya trained in the PC-9 to fly the Cessna lol. No wonder they're all leaving

PC-9 wasn't around during the troubles, which is what Sparky referred to.

• Advertisement

PC-9 wasn't around during the troubles, which is what Sparky referred to.

He also referred to being used for "whatever was needed" since then, which in my mind means they are the mainstay of the Air Corps fleet. So you train on the PC-9 and move on to the Cessna's, correct?

I suppose the cesnas were relatively cheap to operate, and the high wings are good for visability,
    I'm kinda surprised they're not being kept on, Dod will get Feic all for selling them, they're probably impeccably maintained and cost buttons to run (relatively)...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I suppose the cesnas were relatively cheap to operate, and the high wings are good for visability,
    I'm kinda surprised they're not being kept on,

They are heading for 50 years old in fairness and their capabilities are light years behind the Spectres replacing them. For a service that struggles for manpower and physical resources, there would be no justification for keeping them on inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

That south african job that somebody posted a while back looks pretty interesting!

That south african job that somebody posted a while back looks pretty interesting!
    What?

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Grob 120 TP is the obvious choice for basic trainer to replace Cessnas. RAF use them and many other air forces. Not too pricy, so a half dozen wouldn't break the bank and could come in handy for border surveillance etc. German quality as well.

Grob 120 TP is the obvious choice for basic trainer to replace Cessnas. RAF use them and many other air forces. Not too pricy, so a half dozen wouldn't break the bank and could come in handy for border surveillance etc. German quality as well.

But as pointed out the Cessna's aren't used as trainers.

But as pointed out the Cessna's aren't used as trainers.

That seems odd. Seeing as they are the most basic plane in the fleet and are generally the first aircraft a student pilot flies. I've flown them meself!
    Anyway. I reckon the Grob is pretty versatile and could perform a number of useful roles. Also...it doesn't rust as it's made of a composite material

Anybody had a look at that Cirrus jet? Tis as cheap as chips though a bit on the slow side.
    Not used by military at the moment but wonder if it could take over the Reims Cessna role? They only cost about 2 million a pop so half a dozen wouldn't break the bank!

Anybody had a look at that Cirrus jet? Tis as cheap as chips though a bit on the slow side.
    Not used by military at the moment but wonder if it could take over the Reims Cessna role? They only cost about 2 million a pop so half a dozen wouldn't break the bank!

I thought it was common knowledge that the PC-12's were replacing the Cessna's??

No.

Nowhere near the capacity, nowhere near the endurance, the Cirrus is for rich ranchers. As has been said, the PC-12 Spectres are at the trimmers, €10.8 million each, its over and done.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No.

Nowhere near the capacity, nowhere near the endurance, the Cirrus is for rich ranchers. As has been said, the PC-12 Spectres are at the trimmers, €10.8 million each, its over and done.

Great stuff. Bring em on!

Reports that the AC is getting another PC12 straight from the factory with a bog standard fit out, expected to be arriving soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Arriving in civvy livery & pressed right into service, will be painted to a Military colour a short time after, Don Lavery broke this on Twitter today, great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Reports that the AC is getting another PC12 straight from the factory with a bog standard fit out, expected to be arriving soon enough.

Was this a planned buy?

Why am I always suspicious of anything announced on April 1st ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

roadmaster wrote: »
    Was this a planned buy?
    Nope, the order was for 3 and all of them are over in the states getting their ISTAR fit out.

Why am I always suspicious of anything announced on April 1st ...

Technically the story came out today, though we'll just have to wait and see for official word.
    https://twitter.com/donlav/status/1244653851715739650

I'd say this purchase was very much a case of the AC being caught with its pants down, vis a vis the virus. The Reims Cessnas were stood down last Autumn or whenever, and with the CASAs stretched between the probable medevac ops and trying to maintain some class of fishery protection with so many NS ships deployed to the Cities, all of a sudden, no fixed wing surveillance capability.

It may amount to a low-tech solution and installing essentially handheld equipment far below the ISTAR spec, but having a 4th general utility aircraft for the long haul is no bad thing.

I wonder what bog standard fit out they are talking about?
    Seven to Nine seater passenger configutation?

The twitter thread reporting it says 9 seater plus cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Its amazing when they need something urgently how the money can be found. Are the cessnas still in casement or gone?

Its not the money so much as the procurement burden. Fortunately in national emergencies you can do pretty much whatever you want in a hurry.

I mean they're basically building a 450 bed hospital in Citywest without checking with anyone!

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Its amazing when they need something urgently how the money can be found. Are the cessnas still in casement or gone?

Well, yeah. The Commission has basically sidelined the Stability Pact, so the budget restrictions are put aside. There's also the fact that everything is being done at an emergency pace.

Advertisement