Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i'd have loved to go to this but i'm getting another lesson from my 88 year old friend the Battle of Britain pilot Dr. Whitren on the Boyne. this will be my first double handed rod lesson.

my brother gave me a tenner to get him a Dodder licence when i get mine. i live near the mouth of the dodder and am fairly sure i saw sea trout last summer around the rugby stadium bridge late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Looking forward to Sunday, going to head up.
    spent a lot of time up their last year.

New rod, rell and a slection of lines to test out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

how did ye get on?

caught a nice rainbow just under 1pound.
    22 caught in total yesterday, winner had two fish that weighed in at about 1.4pounds together, I think.

Great day out, lovely weather- the lake is fantastic at the moment as it's so low, can see where all the feature etc are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

what flies where getting results,any surface action at all?? do the rainbows become wild and interbreed with wild browns up there???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

cj salmon wrote: »
    what flies where getting results,any surface action at all?? do the rainbows become wild and interbreed with wild browns up there???

I don't think they can interbreed as both fish belong to completely different groups of the salmonid family. It's also unlikely that rainbows would breed themselves as alot of stocked rainbows are triploids (sterile) and there are only a few places in the country where rainbow trout have naturalised and breed. Having said that rainbow trout that don't get caught and survive a couple years can be a pretty amazing fish.

cj salmon wrote: »

small duckfly, fished deep on a sinking line did the job for me, took the fish on my second cast after changing fly

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

went up for the first time wednesday,nice day had.had a small rainbow about half pound at around 4 o clock,loads of fish moving in the surface,and very easy to spot with it being so low,a few midges around even at 2ish when it was warm.had my trout on an apps bloodworm with sink tip line,couldnt coax any earlier to the dry fly :rolleyes:.
    a 4 pound fish was landed over at the left bank by a lad,and it smashed his rod !!!! met tony for the first time ,nice man,very helpful.will definatly be frequenting more often.and looking forward to trying for some river browns on the dodder too. :).

thanks zacmorris,il have to add some duckflys to me trout box,last one is living in a tree near woodenbrige in wicklow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Get buzzer patterns that sit in the surface film such as suspended buzzers or shipmans buzzers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Anyone visited Bohernabreena over the weekend? l want to give a try next week for the first time. How strong leader should l use? What were your favourite flies last year there? thanks

• Advertisement

l would not want to be that kicked brownie. l think some advise how to handle a fish should have been given to those guys.:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2w9wEIYJY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

peter74 wrote: »
    l would not want to be that kicked brownie. l think some advise how to handle a fish should have been given to those guys.:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2w9wEIYJY

Are these people affiliated to the Dodder anglers association?

they seem clueless with regards fish welfare

fish getting thrown from a height into the water getting dropped into piles of weeds on the bank

surely to hell find a spot where the whole contents of the bin can be poured
    not smashed into the river
    not sure of the mortality rates with stocked fish but surely some of these were damaged from the falls and impact

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Everyone has to learn sometime.
    At least they are putting them into the river.

Best practise is to get to water level, tilt at water level to introduce some river water into the bucket, swirl around to equalise temperatures minimising temperature shock, and then tilt below water level to allow the stocked fish to swim out.

But anyone who has stocked over several years and different waters will tell you it doesn't go like that on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Could someone post up a few flies that work well on the dodder? Just getting the fly tying gear back out and need to restock the box's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Was walking home this evening around 6.15 pm and there was a guy just after catching a trout just under 1lb I'd say with a garden worm.

I presume it was a brown trout? it was quite bright and colourful looking.

He was just on Dodder Park road behind Kongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Well has anybody been out yet? Was going to try ballsbridge yesterday morning but some lad got there before me, few trout knocking around, not much action tho... Might try one of the evenings during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I strolled along the dodder on Sunday, I haven't fished it in about four years now. I was stunned at the amount of rubbish (most of which is left after the floods I presume). What a shame I was thinking of rejoining the Club and using the dodder for when time is restricted or the Liffey is in flood not so sure now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Just joined up there today, gonna start tieing up some flys and try get out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evilhomer1

I intend to fish the dodder for the first time on Friday and I am wondering what permit is needed as there is not much clarity on efb website. It says that day permits can be purchased at (names a couple of places) but then says "Join the angling club or make a contribution for a day's fishing" anyone able to clarify so I can purchase in advance if needed. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

evilhomer1 wrote: »
    I intend to fish the dodder for the first time on Friday and I am wondering what permit is needed as there is not much clarity on efb website. It says that day permits can be purchased at (names a couple of places) but then says "Join the angling club or make a contribution for a day's fishing" anyone able to clarify so I can purchase in advance if needed. Thanks

Head to rorys fishing tackle in temple bar and purchase the full permit for the year. Adults cost 10 I think, cheaper for Juniors.

LUDLOW CUP

SUNDAY 4TH APRIL

ALL LEGAL METHODS

ADULT & JUNIOR

STARTS DROPPING WELL CAR PARK

11.30 - 17.30

TIGHT LINES

K.

• Advertisement

Fly fished from rathfarnam waterfall down to the back of lansdowne road stadium.

Not one fish rose, Was using a butcher, dark olive, march brown and even a gold head nymph.

I cant beleive a didnt hit a fish......whats up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Winters return has turned all but the odd one right off, temp drop action slows. Never fished the dodder, was the river not high and too coloured after recent rainfalls?

surripere wrote: »
    Winters return has turned all but the odd one right off, temp drop action slows. Never fished the dodder, was the river not high and too coloured after recent rainfalls?

It was grand yesterday. Its coloured today parts.

I'd put it down to the dramatic drop in temps so

A fish of 1 pound 9oz and a quarter won the Ludlow cup.

It was a nice fish.

Caught on an Dark olive i think.

nice fish, how was the fishing overall?

surripere wrote: »
    nice fish, how was the fishing overall?

It got good in the afternoon, There was about 6 fish caught. The water is still to cold for the fish to become active feeders again. We need some warmth in the water. A week or two of 15c plus would do.

Some settled, milder weather on the way for rest of week, things are looking up finally, have'nt been able to fish me local in ten days due to high water levels, I was cracking up.

Tried Dodder today from Beaver row to Ballsbridge. Bit a dissapointment. only one little brownie, another two lost. Czech nymphing and goldhead nymph worked. Large hatches of midges, but only few rising of small fish. 6 lads fishing maggots and spinning today plus otters in that area, so probably all the stockies are gone. :(

• Advertisement

peter74 wrote: »
    Tried Dodder today from Beaver row to Ballsbridge. Bit a dissapointment. only one little brownie, another two lost. Czech nymphing and goldhead nymph worked. Large hatches of midges, but only few rising of small fish. 6 lads fishing maggots and spinning today plus otters in that area, so probably all the stockies are gone. :(

Got 4 half pounders between balls bridge and the dart bridge on friday. Lost a few more. Using a bloody butcher.

Advertisement