Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What distance learning are you doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I'm starting a MBS for Engineering Managers with Manchester Business School in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'm planning to do "T206 Energy for a Sustainable Future" with the OU in Feb 2008, anybody here done something similar?

Bit worried about trying to fit that in around a full time job ... any tips?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

One 60 point course should be manageable enough - of course, it all depends on how you find the material. If it's a subject you have some experience in or knowledge of, it'll mean less work then someone approaching it totally new.

My top tip - try to keep to the study calender you get. Getting behind (obviously) makes it harder to keep up. And don't be afraid to use FirstClass (the OU's forum/online conferencing application) when you get access to it. The forums there can be pretty useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Zsuzso71

Hello, could you recommend a payroll course with distance learning? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hoping to start 'Polish for Beginners' in Trinity, two evenings a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cian06

MSc in Commercial Management & Quantity Surveying in Leeds Met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

hi all!
    doing a diploma in the above since january.
    1st year of the course not bad so far so good.
    second semester just started until Christmas.
    90% distance ed with 10% tutorials and labs.

http://aua.learnonline.ie/login/index.php

In conjunction with my work in medical device industry.

Fees are a wee bit on the steep side as its €350 per subject and doing 10 this year!!!
    anyway that there could be a tax break invloved for fees and/or books also???
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

AFAIK you can claim from revenue for tuition fees. Have a look here
    http://www.revenue.ie/
    Not too sure how the rules would apply to you, but it's worth applying anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

im doing a sales course at the moment and its so difficult to get motivated!!!!

when iom finished this im doing a photgraphy course which i cant wait for! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Just started my BSc in IT through Oscail.

I have been doing this course for a few years now and am hoping to get my diploma this year.

I am considering leaving Oscail though, the quality of some of the notes are very poor (I have to say the tutors are generally brilliant though)

Can anyone recommend another college which provides BSc in IT through distance education?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The one that springs to mind (especially if you're in the UK) is the OU. You'll probably be able to get credit for the diploma too, which means less courses to be done to get your BSc

UEL also offer a distance learning computing degree http://www.uel.ac.uk/dl/programmes/module_info/bsc_computing.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Miocko

fintan wrote: »
    Im doing an MSc in Financial Economics with the University fo London

They dont have as wide a range as the OU, but do have a better selection of finance / business related masters. They are tad cheaper than the OU and have been offering distance learning for many years.

http://www.cefims.ac.uk/

All in all i would say im very pleased with them

actually i have always been interested in those UoL Courses.
    Do you work in financial services, and what sort of feedback did you get from your bosses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Miocko

The Royal Statistical Society (www.rss.org.uk) run a professional exams program...

Ordinary cert - 2 papers .....loads of definitions and that, fairly handy

Higher Cert - 3 papers / 6 modules.....undergrad stuff...doable, without being overly easy

Graduate Diploma - 4 full papers and 2 half papers......This is Post grad level stuff...

there is a DL program organized by the university of Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am Currently doing BSc in IT Management at Tallaght IT - Year 2 outta 3

Tried doing the one at Oscail, but found it ridicilous.

KONE: The course I am doing is called FLITE, flexible learning, its all online (notes & Stuff) and the also run classes every week

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 afino

Kone wrote: »

I am considering leaving Oscail though, the quality of some of the notes are very poor (I have to say the tutors are generally brilliant though)

Can anyone recommend another college which provides BSc in IT through distance education?

I took the Diploma in IT with Oscail and wasn't too impressed either. I transferred to the Open University and they gave me full credit for my Oscail study and I finished off my BSc. I'm now working on my Masters in Technology and I can't recommend them highly enough. The materials are top-notch, the tutors are great and the online support and forum is excellent too. And no...they're not paying me to say this! :D

The only downside is the fees. It's a bit more expensive especially with the currency exchange rate but I think it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Starting an Msc in Information and Library Studies through Aberystwyth University.

Have to go over this Saturday for a 5 night study school. Excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AdvancingOn

afino wrote: »
    I took the Diploma in IT with Oscail and wasn't too impressed either. I transferred to the Open University and they gave me full credit for my Oscail study and I finished off my BSc. I'm now working on my Masters in Technology and I can't recommend them highly enough. The materials are top-notch, the tutors are great and the online support and forum is excellent too. And no...they're not paying me to say this! :D

The only downside is the fees. It's a bit more expensive especially with the currency exchange rate but I think it's worth it.

Hi,

Actually I’m in the exact same position – I have finished the Oscail Diploma in Information Technology from Dublin City University and have also been a little disappointed with the quality of the notes and that the stuff in the course seems to be a bit dated. I was wondering if you could advise about how to transfer from Oscail to the OU to finish the Degree.

I was looking at the OU credit transfer site and the credit transfer form. In particular I need to know :
    1. Did you transfer to an Open degree or a specific degree course ?
    2. How many points did the OU think that the Oscail diploma was worth?
    3. Also how did you go about getting the required documentation from DCU Oscail?
    4. Did they make it easy or difficult for you when you decided to transfer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:-)[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭JennyG73

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this thread! I am currently doing a postgraduate development programme or Diploma to you with the College of Estate Management in England. This is a quantity surveying course and have just started. Bit scared as there is so much work!!! Don't know how I am going to get it all done and work during the day??? How do you guys cope?

I would love to hear from anyone else who is doing a course with CEM..or anyone else out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

HI All, new to this site but I just want to know if anyone knows anything about the Bsc in Mathematics from DIT, part time. Have 3yrs study in engineering already so am able to join at stage 2.Thinking of starting this Sept. Has anyone been there? Know any details? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bookthief23

Hi All

Anyone done a course through CMIT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi there!

Anyone out there studing -- Bsc Science and Technology Studies (NUI and UL) Distance Learning (AUA) - www.onlinebsc.ie
    I am considering signing up this year and I am looking for feedback re the support offered by UL and any other feedback / advice you may have.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Hi All

Anyone done a course through CMIT?

yep, headwrecking, i wouldnt advise it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi There,

Has anyone signed up for the Bsc in Science and Technology studies through www.Onlinesbsc.ie
    It is a modular based diploma / degree which is been run out of UL and NUI.
    I am looking to stard it at the end of August and would like to know if anyone has had experience of this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 snowbird2006

Hi There,
    New to this thread, I've just registered with Oscail and I'm doing 3 modules. History 1, Psychology 1 and Sociology 1. Really looking forward to getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Just gonna bump up this thread a bit...
    I am just about to start a Diploma in HR Management through www.irishlearning.ie

Has anyone ever used them before? How recognised are their courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Doing Physics Degree with Open University, doing all the astronomy courses, done introduction to astronomy and maths for science so far....really really interesting, like getting a present in the post with all the cool stuff they send, although prices suck a bit!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Hi Linguo, interseted in taking a similar course, (studying physics), just wondering how much of the course is practical experiments in a physics laboratory, and how long that takes?

Just signed up for An Introduction to Finite Element Analysis in the OU, starting in May. Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Hey Sharkeydude,

Can you tell me how you got on with the MSc in Renewable Energy and Energy Management with the University of Ulster Long Distance please? I'm trying to finish the last assignment for the Green Building module at the moment and begining to wonder if it is all worthwhile. What was your experience with the course? So far there seems to be minimal interaction from the tutors/lecturers and the students. We seem to have to rely upon fellow students own knowledge & experience for help with problems and the lectures themselves are just pdf's but with a sh*t long list of recommended reading and/or a book list.

Does this get better? Just wondering if this is little more then a big revenue earner for the university with minimal input on their behalf.

Thanks.... rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 catherin

hi doing degree in social care, just finished my 4th yr...1 yr left and loving it. Doing it through NUIGalway P/T we go in for a saturday every 3-4 weeks, max 10 times a yr. Its very good, tough now but if you put in the time, and like it very good. Lots help from tutors/lecturers. anyone else doing anything similar?

Advertisement