Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 14:09   #16
TheDoc
Registered User
 
TheDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22,793
Picked up a Switch last year and honestly think it’s the beat console I ever got. Playing with my two daughters has definitely been huge for me. Even my GF plays it loads.

My kids a bit younger when we bought it at 5 and 3 but a year on still as crazy about it.

Mario Kart as mentioned is a good shout. My youngest loves watching and my eldest plays it with me. She started off using the motion control which was brilliant starting her off.

Pokemon is a hit in my house. Mario Oddysey and Luigis Mansion were also hugely popular.

Zelda was a slow burner but eldest now loves it.

We havnt bought a big release in ages as the Eshop has a ton of great titles and loads of remasters they come along.

I’d say Animal crossing is the likely next proper buy for us
TheDoc is offline  
Advertisement
05-09-2020, 15:34   #17
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 52
It's the best family friendly, all ages, all sexes console. . And the first party games, although expensive will give you an incredible amount of highly polished, varied entertainment. I would say something like Breath of the Wild is a hugely interactive piece of art. You get way more out of this game than you put into it. Really, it's an astonishing game that you can play with your family.

The joycons can break easily, which is a big screw up but now there are lots of good quality 3rd party pro controllers, so it's not as big a deal as it was.

Definitely get the one that connects to the TV. The games look lovely there and it's much easier to share mario kart , etc on the big screen.

PlayStation and Xbox have loads of tired killing people violently games. They are 18 cert for a reason. And mostly for guys. I have an Xbox too and it's just sad what's available quality wise for kids there. Minecraft, Super Lucky takes and Lego games.

Nintendo seem to be the only company who can spend millions designing original AAA games that anyone can play.

(Edit) Nintendo did not pay for the above advertisement and I'll shut up now

Last edited by itsa_me_mario; 05-09-2020 at 16:23.
itsa_me_mario is offline  
(3) thanks from:
25-09-2020, 15:32   #18
Glebee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,504
I suppose now is the time to start looking for Christmas presents. Whats the best game to pick up at start?
Glebee is offline  
25-09-2020, 15:39   #19
eviltwin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
I suppose now is the time to start looking for Christmas presents. Whats the best game to pick up at start?
Depends on age and what your kids are into.

The Mario games are pretty good but can be challenging for younger kids. Animal Crossing is a great game but there's only one game option so gameplay would need to be shared among multiple people.

You can't go wrong with Pokemon or Legend of Zelda for older players.

Don't forget independent games via the Switch store: I bought Untitled Goose Game last Christmas and it turned out to be a huge hit with everyone in my house.
eviltwin is offline  
Thanks from:
25-09-2020, 15:39   #20
Uncle Pierre
Registered User
 
Uncle Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 583
Just saw this thread now and am following as it suits the likes of me perfectly - somebody who knows next to nothing about them, but whose young lad (six, going on seven) wants one of these.

His birthday is early December so the idea is he gets one then (partly paid by birthday money, partly by Bank of Mam and Dad), and then gets some other games at Christmas too.

He's definitely getting one anyway, because mindful of the shortages during Covid, I actually bought one during July! It's well hidden in a high-up spot though, and there's no way he'll find it before then.

He's already picked out a few of the "mainstream" games that he'd like (e.g. Minecraft, Mario something or other), but would be interested in hearing suggestions for others, preferably low cost, to download too - just like poster above mentioned that Goose Game.

Last edited by Uncle Pierre; 25-09-2020 at 16:41. Reason: Removed a bit where I just googled the answer instead!
Uncle Pierre is offline  
Advertisement
25-09-2020, 16:17   #21
Glebee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Depends on age and what your kids are into.

The Mario games are pretty good but can be challenging for younger kids. Animal Crossing is a great game but there's only one game option so gameplay would need to be shared among multiple people.

You can't go wrong with Pokemon or Legend of Zelda for older players.

Don't forget independent games via the Switch store: I bought Untitled Goose Game last Christmas and it turned out to be a huge hit with everyone in my house.
Thaks for that. My girl is 9 and all see seems to be interested in if Fortnite and Roblox. I presume thesecan be played on Switch?
Glebee is offline  
25-09-2020, 17:08   #22
Gunmonkey
Registered User
 
Gunmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
Thaks for that. My girl is 9 and all see seems to be interested in if Fortnite and Roblox. I presume thesecan be played on Switch?
Fortnite; yes (even a special European bundle coming Oct 30th https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ced_for_europe )

Roblox; doesnt look like it.
Gunmonkey is offline  
25-09-2020, 17:10   #23
DrSpongeBobz
Registered User
 
DrSpongeBobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 168
Minecraft a great game for kids
DrSpongeBobz is offline  
25-09-2020, 17:54   #24
LowOdour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,838
Good thread this!

Young fella is looking for one and a tablet but we have said no to switch and yes to the tablet.

But, half thinking the switch would be the better (if more expensive) option.
LowOdour is offline  
Advertisement
25-09-2020, 20:00   #25
blockfighter
Registered User
 
blockfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pierre View Post
Just saw this thread now and am following as it suits the likes of me perfectly - somebody who knows next to nothing about them, but whose young lad (six, going on seven) wants one of these.

His birthday is early December so the idea is he gets one then (partly paid by birthday money, partly by Bank of Mam and Dad), and then gets some other games at Christmas too.

He's definitely getting one anyway, because mindful of the shortages during Covid, I actually bought one during July! It's well hidden in a high-up spot though, and there's no way he'll find it before then.

He's already picked out a few of the "mainstream" games that he'd like (e.g. Minecraft, Mario something or other), but would be interested in hearing suggestions for others, preferably low cost, to download too - just like poster above mentioned that Goose Game.
For low cost games, get the likes of Overcooked 2. It's a fun multiplayer game that will have you all shouting at each other as you try to work together to complete cooking tasks.
Rocket League is a great car-football game and it's now free. So download it anyways and try it out. And the Rayman games are good and usually on sale fairly frequently.
blockfighter is offline  
Thanks from:
26-09-2020, 00:55   #26
Fysh
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOdour View Post
Good thread this!

Young fella is looking for one and a tablet but we have said no to switch and yes to the tablet.

But, half thinking the switch would be the better (if more expensive) option.
It depends - if the tablet is deliberately bought so it can do things other than playing games (e.g. I use mine mainly for reading digital comics) then yes.

If it's mainly a games platform, definitely go for the Switch. Tablet and mobile games have a lot of "free-to-play" games designed around constantly nudging you to spend real money on an "optional" doohicky that will give you the edge you need to win, and ironically you can spend more money that way than buying the games outright.
Fysh is offline  
04-10-2020, 21:47   #27
gar
Registered User
 
gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 944
Hopping on this.
What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar
gar is offline  
04-10-2020, 21:47   #28
gar
Registered User
 
gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 944
Hopping on this.
What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar
gar is offline  
05-10-2020, 14:08   #29
plibige
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
Hopping on this.
What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar
I think personally Mario Kart is timeless, and can be enjoyed by anyone at any age at any time. It can also involve multiple people and can be played casually or more seriously. So I'd be looking at that for sure.

Mario Party would be a "great game over Christmas", its basically a board game with mini novelty games inbetween. The joycon controller is used almost the same as a wii controller in it and you'd have great fun doing silly things while playing a board game. Not a lot of long term use out of it, its really just a party game. But great fun over Christmas.

Super Mario 3D all stars I assume you mean? Ye this will be the hot game this Christmas. Its four classic Mario games packaged together as one. Its probably the best way to get into what 3D mario is all about. And with 4 games in one you'd get serious longevity out of them.

I'd avoid super mario u deluxe if I was you. Its a 2D side scroller. Its a fine game but it would be a lot more infuriating to play and die a lot at that age. It might be something to get down the line, if they wanted it. But to be honest its not even the best 2D side scroller on the switch.

The other big mario game on the switch are Mario Odyssey. I'd recommend to get it at some stage down the line when they get used to the switch. Mario Odyssey is the newest 3D Mario game, and probably one of my favourites. There is an "easy" guided mode on it too to help young gamers.

Depending on your budget for Christmas i'd be looking at it this way. Mario Kart as your number one buy, Mario 3D All Stars as a number 2. I'd probably get Mario Party as a fun way for you to play the switch with them, but it wouldn't be a priority and would be a distant number 3 buy. I'd avoid Super Mario U Deluxe. And I'd put Mario Odyssey in my back pocket as a present for either ones next birthday or maybe Christmas next year.

Hope that helps
plibige is offline  
(3) thanks from:
05-10-2020, 16:41   #30
Glebee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,504
On the look out myself and dont want to leave till last minute.

Switch on its own - Smyths vs Amazon, €330 vs €293(amazon france)
Switch with mario kart 8 Smyths vs Amazon, €383 vs €366(amazon germany)
Glebee is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet