Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

RasTa wrote: »

No Idea, but I was listening to a podcast yesterday where they were lamenting how difficult it was to get a digital PS5. They had the theory, that perhaps retailers like gamestop /and to a lesser extent, smyths, perhaps might not have placed large orders for the cheaper , diskless consoles, as they'd effectively be killing their own trade in / physical sales of games down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That and no one knows how much/little stock is being allocated, worldwide or to Ireland.

titan18 wrote: »
    Think that kills the Series S for me.

512Gb is feck all for games, so you'd need to buy the storage expansion imo with that. If it was 1TB, you'd manage with deleting and downloading, but 512 GB could be 3-4 games only depending on what ones (if you buy CoD, Cyberpunk and AC, i'd say you won't have much left).

With the storage expansion there, you might as well just buy the Series X

Xbox Series S games are confirmed to be 30% smaller than XSX installs - they won't make you download/install 4K assets, only for 1440p output.

Also stop using COD as a baseline, their bloated install sizes are an anomaly.
    Cyberpunk has already confirmed a 70Gb install size on PC, so I'm assuming between 49-70Gb on XSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Oat23 wrote: »
    Football manager with a controller should be illegal.

Great for people without a PC if they can hook up a keyboard & mouse, though? You'd like to think it will be an option. Mods certainly won't be available which would take away from the experience slightly.

You can connect kb & m to an Xbox on supported titles, which would be complete madness if not in FM.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Xbox Series S games are confirmed to be 30% smaller than XSX installs - they won't make you download/install 4K assets, only for 1440p output.

Cyberpunk has already confirmed a 70Gb install size on PC, so I'm assuming between 49-70Gb on XSS.

Yeah, even Destiny 2 is dropping as low as 59GBs on new consoles, and down to 71gb on current platforms from the current 110GB. Some of that reduction is removing content mind but is still a good -40 to 50GBs even after adding the new content from Beyond Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Think that kills the Series S for me.

512Gb is feck all for games, so you'd need to buy the storage expansion imo with that. If it was 1TB, you'd manage with deleting and downloading, but 512 GB could be 3-4 games only depending on what ones (if you buy CoD, Cyberpunk and AC, i'd say you won't have much left).

With the storage expansion there, you might as well just buy the Series X

512GB is gonna be one COD game in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll believe that 30% figure when I see it regularly being done. I'm pretty sure even with no 4k assets, any large open world game is going to take up a giant amount of size. Never mind that as the next gen increases, we're likely to see what the exact same thing in previous gens of games getting bigger.

COD is an excellent baseline too imo. It's likely to be one of the highest owned games on any platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I'll believe that 30% figure when I see it regularly being done. I'm pretty sure even with no 4k assets, any large open world game is going to take up a giant amount of size. Never mind that as the next gen increases, we're likely to see what the exact same thing in previous gens of games getting bigger.

COD is an excellent baseline too imo. It's likely to be one of the highest owned games on any platform.

It's not a good baseline as it's not representative of the average game, it's an anomaly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What we gain back from the elimination of repeated assets to speed up read speeds we will lose as videogames again balloon in size as the generation progresses.

If everything goes to plan with their smart delivery stuff, 30% sounds like a reasonable number. Textures take up the bulk of the space on most games. They won't deliver the highest quality assets to Series S.

Regardless, games will get bigger, they always do. 500GB is going to feel restrictive, no question.

The multi-game quick resume feature is going to take up space, much like hibernation file on a computer. They're just dumping the ram contents to disk quickly, it'll be compressed but still a few GB per game.

825GB on the PS5 is not going to be that much more roomy either.

It is what it is. A consequence of finally moving to SSD. Microsoft are probably counting on buyers of the Series S eventually transitioning to xCloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you can copy quickly to and from a USB3 external HDD it would alieviate some of the concerns I'd have. Would allow storage of games on the HDD, move them to SSD when you want to play them. Not ideal, by any stretch, but better than deleting and redownloading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you can copy quickly to and from a USB3 external HDD it would alieviate some of the concerns I'd have. Would allow storage of games on the HDD, move them to SSD when you want to play them. Not ideal, by any stretch, but better than deleting and redownloading.

None of that should be done in 2020.

None of that should be done in 2020.

You'd have to do it regardless of the size of the installed SSD, since there can only be 1.

If you don't like it - switch over to PC, where more storage is as simple as plugging a new drive into the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

I will get a PS5 as my main thing as that is where the friends will go and thats where my PS4 backlog can live on.

But I think I might also go both ways and pick up a Xbox Series S and a gamepass sub. I remember I picked up a PlayStation Vita just because I had so many PS+ games to play on it and I never bought a single game for the thing but had a blast. It would be that.

Very impressed with the teardown of the PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How do I install a mod chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm presuming/hoping the guy that's disassembling it is a dwarf...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very impressed with the teardown of the PS5.

The removable panels smell of custom faceplates down the line. This pleases me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

Considering how easy it is to remove those white panels, I expect third party custom panels to be a thing relatively soon, so anyone who wants a black one can just buy new ones.

Also when looking at it there the size doesn’t seem so bad, I’m probably just used to seeing the ridiculous photoshops comparisons with their series x :D

Vicxas wrote: »
    The removable panels smell of custom faceplates down the line. This pleases me

There's been talk about that since July. I'd imagine there'll be game tie-in faceplates made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we get a retro PS1 cover ill be all over that like a fat kid on cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

McFly85 wrote: »
    Considering how easy it is to remove those white panels, I expect third party custom panels to be a thing relatively soon, so anyone who wants a black one can just buy new ones.

Also when looking at it there the size doesn’t seem so bad, I’m probably just used to seeing the ridiculous photoshops comparisons with their series x :D

Looks like it's nearly the height of his torso :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Caleb Ripe Stabilizer

I posted this on another thread. I have went from being indifferent to next-gen to being mildly interested in a Series X, a lot driven by the below. Have a Xbox One and PS4 currently.

"So my Xbox Live Gold is about to run out. When it runs out I believe I can stack 3 years of Gold by buying it cheap from somewhere like CDKeys (€44.19 for 12 months at the moment).

I can then convert that to Game Pass by upgrading for €1, resulting in 37 months of Game Pass. So essentially over 3 years of Game Pass for €133.57 at current prices?"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Impressive tech. I particularly like the stand, with the built in storage for screws/cover, obviously not important on it's own, but it shows that they put in a lot of thought into how people will live it it.

Still though, that's a massive machine. The size of the heatsink and need for airflow obviously dictates the size of the case, which I guess is the price of running a smaller chip faster to hit a high performance target.

Boom time consoles launched into a recession.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That's what the Series S is for......

Realisitically though, it's hard to predict how these will do long term. No doubt that they're going to sell out for the next 6 months or so, but after that, it's all up in the air.

One thing going in their favour is that this recession seems very different to previous recessions. It's definitely a two speed recession, with some people able to work from home, amassing savings, and others that have basically been wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You should go into the property market thread and mention a recession. The people that have recently bought a house will go through you for a shortcut.

They're being launched at a time when people are being told to spend as much time at home as possible....

Markitron wrote: »
    You should go into the property market thread and mention a recession. The people that have recently bought a house will go through you for a shortcut.

If they bought in the last six months since this thing started, that's kind of on them...

They're being launched at a time when people are being told to spend as much time at home as possible....

Oh I don't see them doing badly. It was the same with the PS3 and 360 sure and didn't really hurt them. But you can see the differences here in design compared to the very safe and conservative PS4 and XBox One which were basically, here's a mid spec PC and we are being very safe about cooling. These's are full of bespoke hardware and massive cooling systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems GameStop are doing a discounted Cyberpunk for anyone with a next gen order.

images_IE_CYBERPUNK-PO_04.jpg

Advertisement