Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Three-oh-Three

• 27-01-2005 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in acquiring a Lee-Enfield of some sort over the next while. Probably a No.1 MkIII SMLE, but maybe a No.4.

I'd be interested to hear about the experiences of others in this regard - specifically any recommended sellers (presumably in the UK), sources of ammunition (e.g. anyone tried out the FNM stuff?) etc.

Anyone else out there got one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

I'm in the same boat myself however I've heard that Ammo is now becoming an issue for the 303.

An Alternative is shown below an Aussie company making repos in 7.62 cant remember the name of the english supplier but do a search and u should find it

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

civdef wrote:
    I'm interested in acquiring a Lee-Enfield of some sort over the next while. Probably a No.1 MkIII SMLE, but maybe a No.4.

I'd be interested to hear about the experiences of others in this regard - specifically any recommended sellers (presumably in the UK), sources of ammunition (e.g. anyone tried out the FNM stuff?) etc.

Anyone else out there got one?

Don't have one but Jim Halpin in Listowel does or alternatively Roy Magowan Tel 028 4275 8962. Fax 028 4275 7239 has some originals which were issued to the 36th? Ulster Div. and were used at the Somme. Nice looking rifles. Henry Krank in the UK have got the franchise for Prvi Partizan ammo which includes .303.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Gun Shy wrote:
    I'm in the same boat myself however I've heard that Ammo is now becoming an issue for the 303.

An Alternative is shown below an Aussie company making repos in 7.62 cant remember the name of the english supplier but do a search and u should find it

There should be plenty of surplus 303 about- but it tends to be "corrosive" there are many commercial manufacturers making "303 british".

I looked for a few years for ex Irish 303s and eventually found an unissued irish contract 303 in sydney still in its wrapper but the price was too high.
    Bought an Israeli Mauser instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

try
    www.fdpc.org.uk/sjd.htm
    Guy has a good selection of Lees and SMLE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I know resurrecting old threads is frowned upon, but I thought I should update it, took 16 years but finally got around to getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Great news, what did you get?

jb88 wrote: »
    Great news, what did you get?

A very nice BSA No.1 Mk3.

It was located through here also- showing once again just how much of a resource the boards.ie shooting forum has been to the community for quite a long time now.

There are lots of lads who shoot Enfields on boards and further afield in the wider shooting community North and South of Ireland as well as the UK. Popular enough because they made 17 Million of them.
    Best of luck with the new addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I have nearly bought a Enfield on a good few occasions, but never actually have. I might make an effort now. The prices i have seen asked for them are a bit salty though.

I didn't buy here but they seem to have loads right now:

https://www.henrykrank.com/guns/centrefire-rifles/smle-rifles.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

tudderone wrote: »
    I have nearly bought a Enfield on a good few occasions, but never actually have. I might make an effort now. The prices i have seen asked for them are a bit salty though.

look somewhere like germany the prices are much better

juice1304 wrote: »
    look somewhere like germany the prices are much better

The UK has plenty on offer, but do your research first, find out what you want and and the condition of the barrel and headspace. Reputable gun dealers in the UK should be able to give you that.

Some types of Enfields are harder to come by than others, No1 Mk5 for Instance and No4 Mk1 T, L42 A1 's etc.

Best advice if you want a good gun for target shooting is a No4 MK2, but there are many options out there so find out everything about the gun before purchase unless you just want a wall hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Ardee Sports may have one coming . Worth a call !
    No other details . ;)
    I'm not the seller .

Advertisement