Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Am I right in thinking FF12 has links to vagrant story? Shares the same world or something?

Correct they are linked by sharing the same world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Basically FF12 is early in the world of Ivalice where there is loads of magic, FF Tactics is later when magic is dying and can no longer support airships and Vagrant Story is way into the future when the age of magic is almost dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jumped back into Blue Reflection last night.

I really want to love this game. Closet fan of magical girl anime like Sailor Moon and Card Capture Sakura and there really is huge potential for a magical girl RPG.

The character models look gorgeous and so do the environments. The soundtrack is absolutely incredible. The UI is gorgeous as well.

However the game is low budget so tried to be like Persona 3/4 but hasn't managed it. There's only 4 dungeons in the game and you will visit them a lot. They are tiny and there's no variety in them as there's no randomisation like persona has. The battle system has loads of potential, you can interrupt attacks and status effects are useful but the game is such a breeze that it never comes into play. You are never challenged. Also the game just has girls.... it really needs guys in it to liven things up. And it just takes itself way too seriously. It needs the comedy elements of a Sailor Moon to keep things interesting but everything is just played so straight.

I wish Gust could have given it the budget it deserved as there's a great game in there wanting to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I really want to love this game. Closet fan of magical girl anime like Sailor Moon and Card Capture Sakura and there really is huge potential for a magical girl RPG.

The character models look gorgeous and so do the environments. The soundtrack is absolutely incredible. The UI is gorgeous as well.
    Same, it would be easier to excuse how little there is to it but the characters are so bland that I don't feel anything about them. There's just so little substance to the entire game

megaten wrote: »
    Same, it would be easier to excuse how little there is to it but the characters are so bland that I don't feel anything about them. There's just so little substance to the entire game

Needs more Tuxedo Mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Needs more Tuxedo Mask.
    0 emotional support dudes is the least of that games problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

However the game is low budget so tried to be like Persona 3/4 but hasn't managed it. There's only 4 dungeons in the game and you will visit them a lot. They are tiny and there's no variety in them as there's no randomisation like persona has. The battle system has loads of potential, you can interrupt attacks and status effects are useful but the game is such a breeze that it never comes into play. You are never challenged. Also the game just has girls.... it really needs guys in it to liven things up. And it just takes itself way too seriously. It needs the comedy elements of a Sailor Moon to keep things interesting but everything is just played so straight.

I wish Gust could have given it the budget it deserved as there's a great game in there wanting to get out.

It's really sad because Mana Khemia is a worthy competitor to Persona, has a fantastic main story and great individual character stories that progress through fun character quests that let them shine, it did so much right that BR gets wrong. The grow book in that was an addictive progression system. In contrast, battles are nearly pointless in BR, you get no exp and just random drops that generally dont do much either. You're better off avoiding battles 99% of the time.

The soundtrack is packed with great tunes too, but you're going to hear the same couple of tracks for 90% of the game with the other very rarely used, despite tons of scenes being nigh on silent save for ambient noises

Atelier Ryza 2 getting a PS5 version. Could be a good move for the series. Probably will be one of the first JRPGs on the system and people more willing to take a chance early on when there's feck all on a new system. Could create more Atelier fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Any thoughts on Star Ocean Till the End of Time or The Last Hope folks? Never played the franchise and was thinking of picking up one of these in the PS4 sale.

Fun battle systems. Til the end of Time though drops it's trousers and takes a massive dump all over the story of Star Ocean 1 and 2. Then kicks it in the nads for good luck.

Last Hope is fun if you can stick the god awful story and over long cutscenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

skerry wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Star Ocean Till the End of Time or The Last Hope folks? Never played the franchise and was thinking of picking up one of these in the PS4 sale.

Avoid both.

Xenji wrote: »
    Avoid both.

In retrospect, this is probably the more realistic approach.

Fun battle systems. Til the end of Time though drops it's trousers and takes a massive dump all over the story of Star Ocean 1 and 2. Then kicks it in the nads for good luck.

Last Hope is fun if you can stick the god awful story and over long cutscenes.

I've heard that Till the End of Time has a bit of a wacky plot twist alright. Last Hope remaster looks lovely but I've also heard the characters and protagonist especially are fairly bland.

I've heard that Till the End of Time has a bit of a wacky plot twist alright. Last Hope remaster looks lovely but I've also heard the characters and protagonist especially are fairly bland.

Both descriptions I'd describe as being very nice about those parts of the games

Avoid both.

OK, it was either one of these or go completely different direction and get Fist of the North Star so might go with that so.

Are any of the Star Ocean games recommended? Ive debated First Departure on Switch a few times when its been on sale.

Honestly.... There's so many much better games. They seem like they will be awesome. A sci fi rpg but then about an hour in it goes star trek prime directive and you can't use sci fi stuff or you'll influence the less developed natives and it becomes a standard fantasy rpg.

If you want something good by tri ace then try the ps1 version of valkyrie profile (psp version is a downgrade of the fixes in the western release and look fugly).

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Both are bad, if you want to try the star ocean series I would recommend trying First Departure instead, then hope second evolution gets released and then avoid the rest forever

Fairly unanimous there folks. Thanks for the input as always. I've a bit to go in FFXII so have my Sci Fi JRPG fix sorted for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

OK, it was either one of these or go completely different direction and get Fist of the North Star so might go with that so.

Are any of the Star Ocean games recommended? Ive debated First Departure on Switch a few times when its been on sale.

I actually had great fun with Fist Of The North Star, do not expect a masterpiece but if you have played any of the Yakuza games you will know what you are getting into combat wise, Judgement is also very good and is usually on sale as well.

I actually had great fun with Fist Of The North Star, do not expect a masterpiece but if you have played any of the Yakuza games you will know what you are getting into combat wise, Judgement is also very good and is usually on sale as well.

Love the Yakuza games and Fist of the North Star looks just as off the wall so gonna go for that. Have played first few hrs of Judgement and like what Ive played so far, the detective elements work well enough apart from some tailing missions, bit of a Phoenix Wright vibe in places too. Looking forward to Like a Dragon in November but wary of Yakuza burnout before then. I usually take a few months off between Yakuza games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Love the Yakuza games and Fist of the North Star looks just as off the wall so gonna go for that. Have played first few hrs of Judgement and like what Ive played so far, the detective elements work well enough apart from some tailing missions, bit of a Phoenix Wright vibe in places too. Looking forward to Like a Dragon in November but wary of Yakuza burnout before then. I usually take a few months off between Yakuza games

Judgement is on sale atm, get that instead, fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just starting Ys Origins on the Switch the intro video is really making me pine for Lunar Silver Star.

Just starting Ys Origins on the Switch the intro video is really making me pine for Lunar Silver Star.

Be careful what you wish for, the PSP remake was garbage. I do love Game Art style RPGs. Everything is so modern anime and quite frankly ****. I miss the 80's, early 90's anime aesthetic and more care free attitude and you only really get that in Falcom games like Ys.

Would love more games like Grandia and Skies of Arcadia basically.

I'd love a remastered of Lunar and Skies just regigger the controls, the psp one was a watered down version I wish they'd done what the Dragon Quest VIII team did with the 3ds version for Lunar tone down the music and liten the graphics a little bit but it was less than 25% of the PS1 version and about 1% of the Saturn one.

Ys is different a very lite version again but for €20 on the eshop and coming in a 2.5GB it's very bright colourful and after about 40 minutes of play very engaging so far, started with Hugo gonna dip in and out for the next few days to play it lightly.

Also reminds me of the Legend of Heroes psp games I believe Falcom published them too.

Also reminds me of the Legend of Heroes psp games I believe Falcom published them too.

The XSeed published ones are great. The Namco published trilogy while playing great is unfortunately ruined with an awful localisation. The first release is the second in the series. Then they released the first as the second game and totally ****ed up the translation even more to shoe horn that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I loved both Star Oceans they ported to the psp. I played First Departure several times, but Second Evolution only once. But yeah, if you're looking for pure sci fi rpg, they are not the way to go. If you have a ds or 2ds/3ds, maybe look for Infinite Space instead if you want a handheld sci fi rpg.

So I started Ys Oath in Felghana at the weekend again. I forgot just how much fun it is. Falcom really have no peers when it comes to Action RPGs. So much fun.

Some of the bosses though are incredible tough. Just spent the last hour on the fire dragon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Falcom really have no peers when it comes to Action RPGs.

Someone hasn’t played Hades yet ;)

(said as a Ys fan)

• Advertisement

Someone hasn’t played Hades yet ;)

(said as a Ys fan)

I'm holding off on that game as I know in a few months time it's going to be bigger and even better with updates.

Advertisement