Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aircon not cooling, south Dublin repair?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Bought a 2010 Avensis a few years back and the aircon never cooled. The garage I bought it from topped up the system as far as I remember, but it didn't fix it. I think they also put in a dye in the top up to show leaks or something? Pretty sure the dye didn't show up anywhere.

Anyhow, ended up the car was out of warranty and I just left it.

Anyone know somewhere in South Dublin area that would have a look to see what the issue might be? Could it be an expensive thing to sort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

Try Auto aircon in Park West, used them last week for a full ac service, although no leak, so not sure how much would it cost

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be a leak. Could be a failure in the condenser or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've done a google search for people near me, there are a few, including a mobile unit that does call outs, might try that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know is the AC clutch engaging? You should be able to hear a click noise from the engine bay when you turn on the AC.

Do you know is the AC clutch engaging? You should be able to hear a click noise from the engine bay when you turn on the AC.

Had to google to ensure that an AC clutch was an actual thing, and you weren't pulling the mick! Not that I can hear, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had to google to ensure that an AC clutch was an actual thing, and you weren't pulling the mick! Not that I can hear, no.

:D That could simplify the problem, have a look in your fusebox to see which is the AC relay, usually there's a display of what each fuse/relay does underneath the inside of the cover of the fusebox. Try by either swapping the AC relay with an identical one, then check to see if the AC clutch engages when you turn it on...

:D That could simplify the problem, have a look in your fusebox to see which is the AC relay, usually there's a display of what each fuse/relay does underneath the inside of the cover of the fusebox. Try by either swapping the AC relay with an identical one, then check to see if the AC clutch engages when you turn it on...

Hi - so I opened up the fusebox and there doesn't look to be a fuse/relay in the position the manual says it should be in. See below manual & photo of the fusebox. I think I must be missing something here....my rading of this is behind that covered section at the top, the fuse/relay should be in position 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Homer

I used Auto Aircon earlier in the year and found them superb to deal with.

I had Rob from www.carairconditioning.ie call out, moble service so very handy.

There is power coming into the compressor, so not an electrical thing. There was no gas in the system, and he couldn't detect any significant leaks. Next steps is replace compressor and hope leaks aren't a thing too. So I said I would leave it, 10 year old car that we've never had aircon in since owning, so will do without.

Just to note, the AirCon 'Click' isn't obvious in all cars. I've a 2015 megane which had poor/no air con. There was no noise of the motor kicking in at all, so i figured it'd be a bit of a hassle, but it just needed a regas (€80 from RapRad in Drogheda, for anyone in the area). Now it's working fine, but i still can't hear the motor coming or going when i turn AC on or off.

Same is true of my friends 2009 206.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bought a 2010 Avensis a few years back and the aircon never cooled. The garage I bought it from topped up the system as far as I remember, but it didn't fix it. I think they also put in a dye in the top up to show leaks or something? Pretty sure the dye didn't show up anywhere.

Anyhow, ended up the car was out of warranty and I just left it.

Anyone know somewhere in South Dublin area that would have a look to see what the issue might be? Could it be an expensive thing to sort?

If the aircon hasn't been used in several years then most of the seals will be perished and will be a big job to get working especially since it was already regassed and didn't work after that.

Advertisement