Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Garmin 645 Music on sale in Argos for 249. Good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Garmin 645 Music on sale in Argos for 249. Good deal?

I got mine for similar money on a previous sale or perhaps a little less. Very happy with purchase. V good functionally but also a nice looking watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Down South wrote: »
    I got mine for similar money on a previous sale or perhaps a little less. Very happy with purchase. V good functionally but also a nice looking watch

Does the price drop mean an announcement? New toys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is there any sign of any of the main banks supporting Garmin Pay or is Revolut the only option?

I am thinking the next watch I would get would have it plus navigation so I could bluetooth routes to it.

At the moment you are looking at the Fenix and Triathlon models to get that spec. Not bothered about music.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Garmin Pay works with KBC current accounts. No sign of support from BoI or AIB.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I asked Avantcard if they had any plans to support it but seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patsyrockem

Hi there, I am looking for a sportswatch, I go to the gym and usually use cross trainer, treadmill and sometimes the air bike. Also do squats, lunges etc. About twice a week I run for about 40 minutes. I am looking for a watch with wrist based heart rate and GPS as I would like to know what distance I have ran and speed etc. I would like it to also work accurately in the gym. Sleep information and stress levels during work hours and home life would also be a help. Budget would be up to 200 euro. Looking for a recommendation from any of the knowledgeable people here. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hi there, I am looking for a sportswatch, I go to the gym and usually use cross trainer, treadmill and sometimes the air bike. Also do squats, lunges etc. About twice a week I run for about 40 minutes. I am looking for a watch with wrist based heart rate and GPS as I would like to know what distance I have ran and speed etc. I would like it to also work accurately in the gym. Sleep information and stress levels during work hours and home life would also be a help. Budget would be up to 200 euro. Looking for a recommendation from any of the knowledgeable people here. Thanks in advance

What do you mean by work accurately in the gym? The watches I'm familiar with wouldn't generally pick up GPS indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patsyrockem

What do you mean by work accurately in the gym? The watches I'm familiar with wouldn't generally pick up GPS indoors.

Maybe I should have said I am looking for a watch to distinguish between the different disciplines like running, cross trainer, cycling if that has any effect on accuracy of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I fully charged my Garain 235 yesterday morning after coming in from a run.
    Took a look at it heading to bed last night and noticed that there was only the tiny sliver of power left in the battery icon. Took it off and the 3 heart rate sensor lights lit up the whole room.

I've turned the heart rate sensor off and turned the watch off but the lights are still on full blast when i turn the sensor back on again.
    It's not something I use bar a cursory look at garmin connect and strava after a run so no big deal but just wondering did anyone have a similar experience and were they able to get it sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’d do a reboot and hope for the best. Most garmins get glitchy some of the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The HR lights should only stay on for a little while when you take the watch off, once it notices there isn't a wrist there it switches off. It should also switch off as soon as you connect the charger.

If you have it unplugged from the charger and just lying around, but then knock it a bit the lights will come back on again for a few seconds whilst it checks to see if you've put it on again, if not they should turn off again.

Give Garmin a call if it's not behaving like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Is there any sign of any of the main banks supporting Garmin Pay or is Revolut the only option?

I am thinking the next watch I would get would have it plus navigation so I could bluetooth routes to it.

At the moment you are looking at the Fenix and Triathlon models to get that spec. Not bothered about music.

Thanks

Just unpacked my Forerunner 645 music from Argos mentioned above.

Loaded my Revolut card no problem but then I get a text saying its being deleted and to contact Revolut.

Anyone had this?

EDIT - just tried it again today & put in no address and it worked fine so if anyone has this issue then try it without the address

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Wow, that is some bargain on the 645 music. I'm half thinking of selling my F45 to get this, as I carry a mini BT MP3 player to connect to my earphones when running so would be great to leave it at home. Also the NFC with Revolut is great for when I don't have my phone on me (e.g. Shop for drink on long run).

What's the interface like regarding playing music & tracking run at the same time - is it easy to play/pause/skip without accidentally going out of a run? are all these features on another screen?

rizzee wrote: »
    Wow, that is some bargain on the 645 music. I'm half thinking of selling my F45 to get this, as I carry a mini BT MP3 player to connect to my earphones when running so would be great to leave it at home. Also the NFC with Revolut is great for when I don't have my phone on me (e.g. Shop for drink on long run).

What's the interface like regarding playing music & tracking run at the same time - is it easy to play/pause/skip without accidentally going out of a run? are all these features on another screen?

If you keep running it can be a bit fiddly if you want to go into library and change album/playlist simply because it’s more than one button press I’ve never had any issue interfering with my run tracking or settings as it’s a different screen

If you keep running it can be a bit fiddly if you want to go into library and change album/playlist simply because it’s more than one button press I’ve never had any issue interfering with my run tracking or settings as it’s a different screen

Thanks a million! I'd actually prefer it in another screen so that's good. Was a silly question anyway, I completely forgot my earphones have built in volume & playback buttons!!

I've put my F45 up for sale on Adverts (one month old replacement device from Garmin) with some extra straps and glass protector. If any fellow Boardsie wants a good deal you know where the PM button is :))

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Yes, these features are all on a different screen. I've stopped runs once or twice when getting use to it but have just clicked the start button and away I went.

The interface is OK, not great. I find it very hard to fast forward this is particularly annoying when listening to podcasts and trying to find your starting point. Additionally you can't load BBC podcasts from Spotify onto the watch for some strange reason.

The Garmin Vivo Active music does mostly the exact same and in my opinion looks better as a day to day watch. You'd pick one up on adverts for €150/160.

Yes, these features are all on a different screen. I've stopped runs once or twice when getting use to it but have just clicked the start button and away I went.

The interface is OK, not great. I find it very hard to fast forward this is particularly annoying when listening to podcasts and trying to find your starting point. Additionally you can't load BBC podcasts from Spotify onto the watch for some strange reason.

The Garmin Vivo Active music does mostly the exact same and in my opinion looks better as a day to day watch. You'd pick one up on adverts for €150/160.

Thanks! I have the Powerbeats Pro so there's actually volume and playback adjustment on them - hopefully, that would negate having to use the watch button controls.

I'm not a big fan of the touchscreen to be honest - had an Amazefit Pace before and while a great watch, if the hands are sweaty there could be some issues with the touch sensitivity/ghost touches etc.

I'll check out some reviews over the coming days. It isn't pay day til next week anyway :D

Thanks! I have the Powerbeats Pro so there's actually volume and playback adjustment on them - hopefully, that would negate having to use the watch button controls.

I'm not a big fan of the touchscreen to be honest - had an Amazefit Pace before and while a great watch, if the hands are sweaty there could be some issues with the touch sensitivity/ghost touches etc.

I'll check out some reviews over the coming days. It isn't pay day til next week anyway :D

Just be aware that there can be connectivity issues with buds as the receiver is usually in right ear and watch on left. Not an issue with those that have a lead between the two ear pieces. If u do a google there’s a list of tested sets on one of the support forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

From my own experience of using my 645, I have set up playlists on spotify which you can download to the watch and I tend to start them and then start a run as normal.
    You can during a run press and hold the start/stop button to unlock the buttons and press and hold the down navigation button to open the music player and change the music there. My bluetooth earphones pause and increase volume. I normally download podcasts for longer runs and the tend to be longer than my run and playlists are 5k and 10k length timewise.

Every couple of weeks you need to update your playlist on the watch and downloading podcasts is simple enough. Just be wary of the battery level if you are planning on doing a long run with earphones and a chest strap connected.
    You may experience some skipping with music playback occasionally, just forget the earphones on the watch and reconnect and problem solved.

You can get feedback on pace, distance, heartrate etc from the watch which pauses the music. I currently have 89 tracks on 4 playlists and I load and delete podcasts as I listen to them. I have done runs with music playing and my cheststrap connected of nearly 4hrs, now I always make sure to have the watch fully charged when doing that.

I've used the watch to pay for coffees and shopping in Lidl's (forgot wallet) and there is great security knowing that you can spend 30/50€ depending on where you are.

Thanks for all the advice and insights above! I have been reading a lot of reviews. Another downside I suppose is the older type charger, but that's minuscule!
    It's worth the extra investment from the 45: bigger battery, more sports, NFC & music of course.

I've finally sold my 45, have the 645 on reserve for Argos collection tomorrow :)

Just want to say thanks for the advice here - picked up the 645 on Tuesday, charged to 98% then after setting it up again initially - It's still on 64% and that's after 2 runs and using it for tapping quite a bit. I don't use it for notications and all of that, or haven't set up any music yet, but i'm extremelly impressed and feels like quite an upgrade over the 45 even if it is nearly 2 years older.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I've a 10-year old Garmin Forerunner 10, never an issue before last week where it's really struggling to pick up the GPS.

I'm slow to buy a new one as it meets my needs. Any solutions? Most online seems to be hard or soft reset but I've tried both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

I have a 645 and have a garmin run HR strap (red one) and pair of aftershokz headphones that I use when running. I have noticed that if it rains, the watch drops connection to both for a while in the middle of a run sometimes. Any known issues like that?

Also I wear the 645 every day as activity tracker bit finding that with smart notifications etc the battery is going too quick. So am thinking of getting a different garmin for day to day use. Would like one that tracks steps, stairs, HR, sleep etc and then keep the 645 for just running. What should I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

event wrote: »
    I have a 645 and have a garmin run HR strap (red one) and pair of aftershokz headphones that I use when running. I have noticed that if it rains, the watch drops connection to both for a while in the middle of a run sometimes. Any known issues like that?

Also I wear the 645 every day as activity tracker bit finding that with smart notifications etc the battery is going too quick. So am thinking of getting a different garmin for day to day use. Would like one that tracks steps, stairs, HR, sleep etc and then keep the 645 for just running. What should I be looking at?

Have a 645 myself and you can disable certain notifications plus download particular watch faces to save battery life. To be honest I've my charger beside the couch so every 3rd day I stick it on charge and keep it topped up that way. I also for a long run tend to charge it and my earphones at the same time.

As for a second watch, I have to say I really like the look and functionality of the new garmin Venu sq
    has everything bar stairs but does have garmin pay, so perfect as a day to day watch. It has the look of an apple watch, plus will work as a back up running watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Forerunner 220 stuck on Garmin screen,tried several types of resets but no joy.Also tried plugging into PC but not being seen either.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

I have a forerunner 235 which used to work very well for both pace and heart rate, have it about a year and a half. In the last few months I'm having 2 issues:

- Wrist based HR has gone very hit and miss, often will work normally up to about 120bpm and then stay there regardless of how hard I run.
    - Pace works fine unless I suddenly change direction, then starts recording about 15-20 seconds per mile quicker than I had been doing before the direction change and takes 10-15 mins to settle down again.

Anything I can do to try fix this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Factory reset is probably what Garmin would suggest to you but as to whether or not it will make any difference, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

opus wrote: »
    Factory reset is probably what Garmin would suggest to you but as to whether or not it will make any difference, who knows.

Sorry meant to say, I tried a factory reset, no joy.

Advertisement