Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Are we allowed to post an example of someone’s work by linking to their Instagram page? It most certainly is not advertising as I’m trying to prove an earlier point about the straight line, however if it breaches rules I won’t post it.

Why not just post. Iam more curious as you are asking permission.
    It will only get removed by Mod if not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

20/20 wrote: »
    Why not just post. Iam more curious as you are asking permission.
    It will only get removed by Mod if not good.

Well I’m a long time member but haven’t really used boards in years so not too familiar as I once was about the rules, etc.

Anyway, some of the hairlines here are imo shocking. These guys never had hairlines like that. I feel like I could spot their HT a mile away.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFUPNNbnI8u/?igshid=64pk49ksxfor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

One of those looks oddly straight!

I think most hair transplants in terms of at the front of the head are fairly easy to spot anyway, if the hair is relatively short. Even well done false hairlines are just that bit more rigid and defined than their imperfect natural counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnnyMarr2020

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or seen results from the Tir na Nog Clinic? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aaronelon3001

Hi all

I am scheduled to attend The MHR Clinic in Dublin on the 27th for Hair Transplant. Unlike Ailesbury clinic there
    is very little external reviews or information online about the procedures. Im a little skeptical as they seem to lack a little
    professionalism in their admin dept. Its a small operation they have and its cheap but again the lack of reviews and some small
    admin issues have me pondering if its the best option. Has anyone on boards had procedures with MHR or know anyone that has had
    good or bad experiences. They are charging me 3500 for 3500 hairs or 1500- 2000 grafts.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

That is a very good price to get in this country.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.mhrclinicireland.com

The trustpilot is very sparse and the last review is three years ago, which seems odd.

I imagine they know what they are doing so you should be ok, but it doesn't look like they do a ton of business, which may give me some pause.

Thank you Monokne for the info.

Yeah..... not good the lack of reviews on messaging sites. If anyone else can comment on their services
    or experiences with them, it would help me a lot cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Thank you Monokne for the info.

Yeah..... not good the lack of reviews on messaging sites. If anyone else can comment on their services
    or experiences with them, it would help me a lot cheers.

If you're getting a transplant, it's best to research the surgeon and not the actual clinic. Find out exactly who your surgeon is and look for examples of their work. It might seem relatively cheap but for a similar price in Turkey you'd be getting some of the highest rated FUE surgeons in the world with thousands of endorcement's and high definition photo examples of their work.

Have you spoken to your surgeon or just the saleslady Kim that works there?

Passenger wrote: »
    If you're getting a transplant, it's best to research the surgeon and not the actual clinic. Find out exactly who your surgeon is and look for examples of their work. It might seem relatively cheap but for a similar price in Turkey you'd be getting some of the highest rated FUE surgeons in the world with thousands of endorcement's and high definition photo examples of their work.

Have you spoken to your surgeon or just the saleslady Kim that works there?

Hey, I just spoken to kim... I might ask her to see some credentials of the Dr. Thank you for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

There's a new trend of flying surgeons/teams in from Turkey to perform surgeries in countries such as Ireland, which brings down the cost. Like others said, find out who it is!

• Advertisement

There's a new trend of flying surgeons/teams in from Turkey to perform surgeries in countries such as Ireland, which brings down the cost. Like others said, find out who it is!

That could come in handy, good info!

Monokne wrote: »
    That could come in handy, good info!

Yes absolutely, Im compiling an email as we speak. Thanks guys. Expect a full breakdown if I go ahead with the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tylex

I had a procedure done recently with Dr. Nel at the Hair, Skin and Wellness Clinic. I had circa 3,300 grafts done under a FUE/FUT combo procedure. Firstly I'd like to clarify a few points before I get pulled on them. I set up a new account to post this because my old account is over 10 years old and multiple people know me. If moderators wish for me to provide proof by way of PM I would be happy to do so. I can provide evidence of payment, emails, etc.

I am incredibly happy with my decision to go with Dr. Nel. I honestly could never have imagined going abroad to do this procedure, being able to come home to my own bed at the end of the surgery was bliss. Not to mention being able to revisit the clinic anytime I wish.

His attention to detail is second to none. He takes massive pride in his work and does most of the work himself. I couldn't actually believe how much he did, especially after reading about some of the stuff assistants were doing. The night before he personally shaved my head, drew the line, took pics, made incisions, gave me breakdown of what to expect the next day and what to prepare for. The day of the procedure he performed the strip and stitched it up afterwards. The next day the scar looked like it was a year old, I really couldn't believe how well it was performed as this was one of my big fears going into the surgery. I also didn't even realise how quick it was, I thought he was still numbing the area and it was already over. He only took a small strip which he thought would yield circa 750-800 however i ended up yielding over 1200. The FUE was performed entirely by him also and I was delighted to be told that they had more grafts then was needed/paid for.

One of the more senior assistants helped with some of the implanting of the hairs but he did the majority and he did all the hairline. The next day he personally washed the hair and gave my instructions for the next two weeks. Every day he provided a nice bag with meds, instructions and extra padding for your bed pillows in case of bleeding (which there wasn't).

Everyone who has seen it so far is massively impressed and I do intend to share photos at a later date (also happy to share them through PM). Overall i would rate the whole experience 10/10. You couldn't meet a more dedicated guy who actually cares about what he's doing. Couldn't believe it when he said he'd meet me to take the stitches out on a Sunday, he's completely committed and dedicated to his work.

I might have saved some money if I went to Turkey but I believe his service is second to none, he's also more used to working with Irish guy's hairlines / caliber shaft. I'd also point out something which he said to me which summed it all up for me, a large chunk of his work is fixing hair transplants done by some of the foreign cheap jobs. I had severe anxiety thinking that I'd get butchered somewhere in Turkey so it just wasn't for me. Anyway, let me know if there's any questions!

Did you not worry you could get butchered somewhere in Ireland, Tylex? Why specifically did you worry you'd get butchered if you went abroad? A professional is a professional, regardless of their nationality. :confused:

Mind you there are probably Turkish doctors telling people who come from Ireland or the UK to fix botch jobs that they see a lot of that as well ;)

Turkish people can also be committed and dedicated to their work. :)

Glad you'd a good experience anyway. :D

Tylex wrote: »
    let me know if there's any questions!

Price ?

Did you not worry you could get butchered somewhere in Ireland, Tylex? Why specifically did you worry you'd get butchered if you went abroad? A professional is a professional, regardless of their nationality. :confused:

Mind you there are probably Turkish doctors telling people who come from Ireland or the UK to fix botch jobs that they see a lot of that as well ;)

So for your first question, I always felt in safe hands with Dr Nel. I had looked up others clinics in Dublin but wasn’t a fan. Regarding your comment on professionalism, and having written a thesis on professions, I feel relatively qualified to say that professionals are not all professionals. Having also worked in the insurance industry where the majority of my clients were hospitals I can promise you that doctors and hospitals can be negligent. I guess it ultimately depends on your tolerable level of risk when it comes to these things. Yes, I could have been butchered anywhere, but I personally assessed the risk of that happening in Ireland as much lower. Sometimes in life people are happy to pay a premium for things, whether that’s a car, a house or a watch. I placed value on a highly trained local surgeon who spoke English, who I could return to any time, who I had real life examples of his work and who I knew actually cared. I just thought to myself, what the hell would I do if I went to Turkey and it went wrong? What could I do?

That’s my two cents and look I’m sure there are good surgeons in Turkey, but as I said in my first post, it just wasn’t for me. I can only comment on my experience and what I would recommend.

One thing I do question is when guys fly back on the plane from Turkey, how are they spraying the scalp every half an hour? I presume they are told it’s not necessary.

One thing I do question is when guys fly back on the plane from Turkey, how are they spraying the scalp every half an hour? I presume they are told it’s not necessary.

Maybe they use the loo on the plane and might look in the mirror in the loo to see where the are spraying.

Could you tell us how much you paid please. I would also love to know how much he did for free.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I would love to see pictures of before/after.

He charges circa €4 per graft. Come to think of it, when I priced it with other cheaper/abroad surgeons they told me that due to my fine hair caliber i would have needed double the grafts so in fact with all things considered, i.e. flights, hotels, etc. it really wasn't that much more. If i recall correctly the gentleman who posted originally paid €2 in Turkey per graft. I live in Dublin so didn't have to pay for any flights, hotels, meals, not to mention the convenience.

On the spraying of the scalp in the airplane toilets, i guess that makes sense.

I would love to see pictures of before/after.

I would love to see pictures after as well, unfortunately I'll have to wait a few months for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I had a procedure done recently with Dr. Nel at the Hair, Skin and Wellness Clinic. I had circa 3,300 grafts done under a FUE/FUT combo procedure. Firstly I'd like to clarify a few points before I get pulled on them. I set up a new account to post this because my old account is over 10 years old and multiple people know me. If moderators wish for me to provide proof by way of PM I would be happy to do so. I can provide evidence of payment, emails, etc.

I am incredibly happy with my decision to go with Dr. Nel. I honestly could never have imagined going abroad to do this procedure, being able to come home to my own bed at the end of the surgery was bliss. Not to mention being able to revisit the clinic anytime I wish.

His attention to detail is second to none. He takes massive pride in his work and does most of the work himself. I couldn't actually believe how much he did, especially after reading about some of the stuff assistants were doing. The night before he personally shaved my head, drew the line, took pics, made incisions, gave me breakdown of what to expect the next day and what to prepare for. The day of the procedure he performed the strip and stitched it up afterwards. The next day the scar looked like it was a year old, I really couldn't believe how well it was performed as this was one of my big fears going into the surgery. I also didn't even realise how quick it was, I thought he was still numbing the area and it was already over. He only took a small strip which he thought would yield circa 750-800 however i ended up yielding over 1200. The FUE was performed entirely by him also and I was delighted to be told that they had more grafts then was needed/paid for.

One of the more senior assistants helped with some of the implanting of the hairs but he did the majority and he did all the hairline. The next day he personally washed the hair and gave my instructions for the next two weeks. Every day he provided a nice bag with meds, instructions and extra padding for your bed pillows in case of bleeding (which there wasn't).

Everyone who has seen it so far is massively impressed and I do intend to share photos at a later date (also happy to share them through PM). Overall i would rate the whole experience 10/10. You couldn't meet a more dedicated guy who actually cares about what he's doing. Couldn't believe it when he said he'd meet me to take the stitches out on a Sunday, he's completely committed and dedicated to his work.

I might have saved some money if I went to Turkey but I believe his service is second to none, he's also more used to working with Irish guy's hairlines / caliber shaft. I'd also point out something which he said to me which summed it all up for me, a large chunk of his work is fixing hair transplants done by some of the foreign cheap jobs. I had severe anxiety thinking that I'd get butchered somewhere in Turkey so it just wasn't for me. Anyway, let me know if there's any questions!

Excellent work and good luck! 4 EUR per graft is his fees was mentioned many times earlier.
    May I ask, why a combination on FUE/FUT?

suave.4u wrote: »
    Excellent work and good luck! 4 EUR per graft is his fees was mentioned many times earlier.
    May I ask, why a combination on FUE/FUT?

Thank you. The reasons for the combination of the FUE/FUT were as below but I think could be summed up by saying that this method maximises results, minimises complications and leaves you with insurance for the future in case you want further work. Dr Nel is acutely aware of this also. He's a smart guy. I'm sure he could have convinced me to do two days of work, more grafts, etc, but he didn't. Reason being he's thinking big picture for you, not his back pocket.

- You're getting the best of both worlds. If you do half the grafts, or even less, with FUT; you only need a very small strip compared to the old days when they used to try and get a few thousand with the strip and leave guys with a huge scar. I think this is largely why FUE grew in popularity, i.e. guys afraid of having FUT scars. However with the "trichophytic closure" (which i've since learned a lot about) you barely notice it at all.
    - FUT yields greater number of grafts which i'm not sure many people are aware of, so again best of both worlds. The strip they take the hair from is known as the sweet spot so you're maximizing the yield of your best hair. This is very important.
    - If I ever want to have another procedure, a surgeon can remove the previous scar, where as if you go with FUE that's not an option as new scars will be created.
    - It enabled me to have over 3000 grafts in one 'sitting'. So there's a cost and time saving there.
    - It just felt like a better balance. I had read a lot about over-harvesting and seen some people have 4000 FUE holes in their head and it just seems a little excessive. Risk of shock loss is far greater when you're pushing to the extreme margins. As you might have gathered, i'm a risk averse guy.
    - We had considered using the beard as an option also (which I was more than fine with) but we didn't need to which I was obviously happy about. Again this means in the future if I so wished I could utilise this for FUE as a first-timer.

Hopefully that answers your questions and I'd just like to point out that all of what I am saying is from my own perspective. Ultimately the person having the surgery should consider all the medical advice available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mightymole

Thanks for everything so far Tylex. Very interesting. Two questions.

Did Dr Nel prescribe you anything i.e. minoxidal, finasteride or saw palmetto. If so, how much do you use?

Do you mind me asking what age bracket you're in? I guess what I'm getting is are you older with a stabilized head of hair and looking for an improved hairline? Or are you young and this is perhaps the first of many of transplants?

mightymole wrote: »
    Thanks for everything so far Tylex. Very interesting. Two questions.

Did Dr Nel prescribe you anything i.e. minoxidal, finasteride or saw palmetto. If so, how much do you use?

Do you mind me asking what age bracket you're in? I guess what I'm getting is are you older with a stabilized head of hair and looking for an improved hairline? Or are you young and this is perhaps the first of many of transplants?

Happy to provide information where I can. Dr. Nel prescribes medication based on individual's circumstances (recommend you to check his website). There are a range of treatments both surgical and non-surgical which can potentially help but I guess it depends on your circumstances. As well as those listed by you, there is: derma-rolling, shampoo, loniten, Holland & Barrett's hair, skin & nails supplements, amongst others.

Regarding your second question, I wasn't aware that hair loss stabilized at a particular age - are you sure about that? Androgenetic Alopecia is genetic and how quickly it progresses is different in every person. 25 year olds can be bald, 60 year olds can have full heads of hair. I think the general consensus is that you stabilise *your* rate of hair loss by taking preventative measures. Finasteride would probably be regarded as the most important from this aspect of preventing further hair loss. Remember, there are two aspects to this: prevention and correction. I was looking to correct the hair loss I had incurred and now also prevent further hair loss. Fingers crossed I won't need any further HT down the line but my earlier points regarding this were that should I require one, Dr Nel has carefully carried out the procedure to greatly increase my chances of actually being suitable for a second one. You don't want to put all your hairs in one basket, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

What is the going rate for a hair transplant in Ireland? Do they generally do payment plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What is the going rate for a hair transplant in Ireland? Do they generally do payment plans?

Ailesbury don't do the payment plans, or didnt anyway. I had to have the money paid up before the procedure.

Going rate is 3-4 euros per graft, but someone posted in the last month or so on this thread that they were getting it for less than 2 euros per graft in a clinic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

At least if you get butchered in Ireland, you can have some form of local recourse. If you get butchered in Turkey. its a long way to travel to have it out with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Has anyone any experience with Dr. Turan (FUECapilar). Looking at unshaven DHI method.

Rikand wrote: »
    At least if you get butchered in Ireland, you can have some form of local recourse. If you get butchered in Turkey. its a long way to travel to have it out with them :D

I agree.

My point was that it reads as though people have an assumption that you're likely to get a better/more experienced job in Ireland than Istanbul, which is basically the hair capital of the world and I don't really get that.

It feels like there is just a mistrust of Turkish people, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

experience of a guy at work who went to turkey finalized my decision to stay in ireland, and being home in my bed the following day, i couldn't imagine having to go through the hassle of airports with a bandaged head that needs to be sprayed every 30minutes.

Advertisement