Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bathroom fan fuse

Options
  • 22-09-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭

Would a bathroom fan run off the same fuse as the light or would it be seperate?

I've rewired the switch and fitted a new fan as the old one wasn't working and the new one isn't working

So the fuse is my only idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

fritzelly wrote: »
    Would a bathroom fan run off the same fuse as the light or would it be seperate?

I've rewired the switch and fitted a new fan as the old one wasn't working and the new one isn't working

So the fuse is my only idea

Yes it's on with the lights, Is it a run on timer fan or just an on/off type.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's on a timer - turned to about 10 minutes

Guess I'll have to recheck the wiring in the isolator but I'm 99% sure it's wired up right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's on a timer - turned to about 10 minutes

Guess I'll have to recheck the wiring in the isolator but I'm 99% sure it's wired up right

Two live cables are needed for a timer fan incase your old one wasn't.

Disconnected everything and reconnected - fan is now working but...
    The timer is not working - if you turn the light off the fan goes off instead of staying on

Can anyone confirm the SL and L wiring config from the light switch to the isolator
    I think I may have the SL and L the wrong way round on the light switch - would that explain it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you need permanant feed and light feed and neutral

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Extractor_fan_wiring

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you need permanant feed and light feed and neutral

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Extractor_fan_wiring

I'm kinda guessing the wires as they are not marked, had to do a process of elimination to make sure I had the light feed cables then there was another live or switched live cable all by itself (this is probably where I'm going wrong - will switch it around tomorrow).
    There was already a light feed cable there that the electrician snipped off and isolated with insulation tape for some reason when the fan was initially installed
    The boxes are a mess of cabling

Advertisement