Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just home from the celebrations. One thing we agreed on was that Knockmore got an awful soft free at a crucial time in the second half, Keith Ruttledge I think, was brought up then for back chat, made a huge difference.

I’d agree with Parlance that Breaffy are going nowhere, massive population and very successful underage

Met Barry Murphy out, he was manager of the Ballina minor team, reckons they’re an exceptional group of young men and expects big things from them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm gutted for AOS and COS, 2 outstanding performers in this years championship. I had to miss some of it due to work but Kockmore had the hunger and ability at vital times.
    Think some of the failings of Breaffy haunted them again with Robbie missing 2 45's that I saw and having AOS on the inside line. Irwin was a big loss, but of his own making unfortunately. Thought Ruane was decent.
    Knockmore I have watched as many matches as I could this year, aside from the 10/15 mins in the 1st match with Ballina they showed massive amounts of composure and maturity. McLaughs is just pure class and his brain is 10 steps ahead of most.
    McHale was superb. I like their keeper, lovely delivery and gets the outfield game.
    Couple of mates up there so I'm delighted for them.
    But I am a bit sad for Breaffy, so much like the Mayo of Mayo GAA. They have big numbers underage going by what I have seen in the last few years but the mental hurt of these failures will hurt. SOS is closing in on a finish with new arrival and age. What else they have coming will be interesting to watch.
    Ballina, Westport and Knockmore will be there now for a few years. B'Tubber hard to know. C'bar need to rebuild and Breaffy need to transition in some new bodies to continue their push.

Great to see Balla win last night.

Have to say the club champs were very entertaining, regardless of the technical glitches its the most club football I have ever watched and there is more unpredicability than the inter county now. That hurling match today was incredible
    Then you see Dungannon breach I think a 60 year wait for a county title.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Castlebar Mitchels 5-13 Ballina Stephenites 3-5

A truly awesome blitzkrieg like display by the Mitchels in the A county minor final in overcoming a gallant Moyside team containing Jack Irwin,Rory Morrin,Niall Farrell and Dylan Thornton.

This is an exceptional team.Full of frightening pace and delightful forward play.

The platform was laid in the middle of the park where the Castlebar men took a firm stranglehood against a more heralded duo.

Some of goals taken were wonderful to see.

Eoin Hughes is some talent,he caused untold damage.He is strong,direct and knows where the posts are.

His goal post a very good penalty save an prime example of same.

Paddy Heneghan builds further in terms of his portfolio.A top class display.

Mitchels inside line forward Mark Cunningham another to shine.

We already know how good Paul Walsh can become.

John Kennedy did a trojan amount of work.

Massive credit to the Mitchels defensively,Peter Basquille dealt with all comers.Tad questionable for the Dylan Thornton goal.They dealt ably with the predictable aerial bombardment by the Stephenites in the second half.

The Tuohys,Waldron lads ( always nice to see the near lost art of kicking a 45 from the ground carried out so effectively by a half back no less! ) and captain fantastic James Cunningham ( lovely acceptance speech )..

It was a whole squad effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »
    I'm gutted for AOS and COS, 2 outstanding performers in this years championship. I had to miss some of it due to work but Kockmore had the hunger and ability at vital times.
    Think some of the failings of Breaffy haunted them again with Robbie missing 2 45's that I saw and having AOS on the inside line. Irwin was a big loss, but of his own making unfortunately. Thought Ruane was decent.
    Knockmore I have watched as many matches as I could this year, aside from the 10/15 mins in the 1st match with Ballina they showed massive amounts of composure and maturity. McLaughs is just pure class and his brain is 10 steps ahead of most.
    McHale was superb. I like their keeper, lovely delivery and gets the outfield game.
    Couple of mates up there so I'm delighted for them.
    But I am a bit sad for Breaffy, so much like the Mayo of Mayo GAA. They have big numbers underage going by what I have seen in the last few years but the mental hurt of these failures will hurt. SOS is closing in on a finish with new arrival and age. What else they have coming will be interesting to watch.
    Ballina, Westport and Knockmore will be there now for a few years. B'Tubber hard to know. C'bar need to rebuild and Breaffy need to transition in some new bodies to continue their push.

Great to see Balla win last night.

Have to say the club champs were very entertaining, regardless of the technical glitches its the most club football I have ever watched and there is more unpredicability than the inter county now. That hurling match today was incredible
    Then you see Dungannon breach I think a 60 year wait for a county title.

They are going to have to change the management 4/5 yrs and nothing to show for it and if what is being said there getting in expenses is true they need the road.iam not saying it's all there fault there is only so much they can do.

If hennelly misses the 1st 45 then his heads not in it
    Why in the name of god was he left on them surly when knock more see him coming up they relax he will try and blast it hd never goes short.
    The two kick outs over the line at a crucial time is shocking for a so called county player.
    What was he acting the bollo1x in around midfield for with minutes left was he looking for the headline in today's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Green&Red wrote: »
    Langan made a difference when he came on too, really threw himself around the place.

Missed this point yesterday but I was thinking about it this morning. If any small thing can sum up the difference between the two teams for me, it was this. Threw himself around is probably a good way of putting it.... :) Think he gave away a good few fouls from just getting the boot in where it shouldn't be... and sometimes, that exactly what you need to do to win.

That's not to take away from the fine football on display but that extra bit of grit and determination ran through the team imo.

Hope the celebrations went well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do we think we're missing out not seeing Knockmore go on to the Connacht/All-Ireland stages? Or would Corofin see them off fairly handy?

Someone in the Galway GAA thread suggested it would have been better to play out the club All-Ireland series rather than trying to squeeze in a truncated inter-county championship before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do we think we're missing out not seeing Knockmore go on to the Connacht/All-Ireland stages? Or would Corofin see them off fairly handy?

Someone in the Galway GAA thread suggested it would have been better to play out the club All-Ireland series rather than trying to squeeze in a truncated inter-county championship before Christmas

Personally think continuation of the provincial and AI champs would have been the better call.

Guessing money spoke though. Having to repay TV money to RTE and Sky would be a big issue.

I don't think it'll do Knockmore any harm to not play Corofin this year, another year or two will bring them on a lot (provided of course we can win another)

Irwin was a big loss, but of his own making unfortunately.

What happened Irwin his year? Is he abroad again or something else. A bit out of the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Playing soccer i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What happened Irwin his year? Is he abroad again or something else. A bit out of the loop

Think he went off playing soccer with Ballyheane.

Haven't heard anything but I'd imagine he had a falling out with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Think he went off playing soccer with Ballyheane.

Haven't heard anything but I'd imagine he had a falling out with someone.

It never seems to be straight forward with Irwin does it? He looked to be missed with Breaffy this year. From what i remember of last year he contributed alot??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Green&Red wrote: »
    I don't think it'll do Knockmore any harm to not play Corofin this year, another year or two will bring them on a lot (provided of course we can win another)

I would have loved to see how Knockmore got on in Connacht, especially if they got a go at Corofin. A young team like that would fear nobody considering who they managed to beat in Mayo.

muddle84 wrote: »
    It never seems to be straight forward with Irwin does it? He looked to be missed with Breaffy this year. From what i remember of last year he contributed alot??

Is he another one in the long line of talented mavericks in Mayo football who just cant stay focused long enough to apply their talent and make a successful long term inter county career (eg. Padraig Brogan, Ronan Goulding). I always thought he had the talent to make it, if not the application

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is he another one in the long line of talented mavericks in Mayo football who just cant stay focused long enough to apply their talent and make a successful long term inter county career (eg. Padraig Brogan, Ronan Goulding). I always thought he had the talent to make it, if not the application
    Doesn’t he lack the Pace to be a Top Level Player. If you have No Pace what can you do about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blinding wrote: »
    Doesn’t he lack the Pace to be a Top Level Player. If you have No Pace what can you do about it ?

He certainly has a lot of talent, or did when he was minor/under 21. I think he was able to shine in those teams but the Jump to senior level was a different thing in terms of commitment too. We had no end of forwards without pace that would have been ahead of him in the pecking order so he was always going to have to do more to justify taking a jersey.

I think he had enough talent to fight for a place, the commitment was perhaps what was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Brogan is a whole other issue but out of respect for the man I’m not going to go into it here. The most appropriate description I have heard is that he was an angel that fell to earth.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Brogan is a whole other issue but out of respect for the man I’m not going to go into it here. The most appropriate description I have heard is that he was an angel that fell to earth.

Looking back at some of the archives I noticed the Brogan, Kevin O'Neill and Ciaran McDonald all got game time in the autumn league matches in 94. Imagine of we had been able to get the 3 of them at peak fitness on the pitch at the one time for a championship.

Hadn't remembered Brogan still being involved as late as 95. For some reason in my mind he faded away before 89, only to briefly return with Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Looking back at some of the archives I noticed the Brogan, Kevin O'Neill and Ciaran McDonald all got game time in the autumn league matches in 94. Imagine of we had been able to get the 3 of them at peak fitness on the pitch at the one time for a championship.

Hadn't remembered Brogan still being involved as late as 95. For some reason in my mind he faded away before 89, only to briefly return with Donegal

Its a pity he didn't reach full potential but that's life. I googled him and came on this interesting piece https://medium.com/@KCsixtyseven/padraig-brogan-602a5328aaf7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The end of the glad tidings but the first of our two remaining do or die league fixtures against Galway will be broadcast live on TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its a pity he didn't reach full potential but that's life. I googled him and came on this interesting piece https://medium.com/@KCsixtyseven/padraig-brogan-602a5328aaf7

Saw him 2 weeks ago in Ballina. Had to look 3 times before it hit me who he was.
    One of the best goals ever scored in Croke Park.
    Was gutted when he togged with Donegal.

Fair to say Irwin starting to go down the same route. His goal for the minors against Rossies was quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABzWXeWLOI
    Hope he sorts himself out, been a tough few years so I can see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I remember him playing with Bundoran and Donegal back then. Himself and Molloy were some mid-field pairing.

I remember thinking looking down at him about to come on in the All Ireland Semi in 92 that for Mayo it was a move that could seriously backfire. The "welcome" he received from lads going well out of their way to deliver it had little or nothing to do with him leaving Donegal to rejoin Mayo. That Donegal squad with virtually all of them from the south of the county, was a very tight knit group under McEniff. Still are to this day.
    The real annoyance, as told to me by a few of them was that Brogan was living in one of McEniff`s flats in Bundoran and working for him. When he didn`t turn up for work for a few days McEniff called to see if he was ok to find him and all his stuff gone.
    The team were annoyed at him going without saying a word to any off them, but they were especially annoyed for the disrespect he showed McEniff who they saw as somebody who was genuinely trying to help a lad that had his own demons.
    I have never had the slightest doubts in the years since that had he not done that midnight flit he would have ended that 92 season as Molloy`s mid-field partner throughout and the winner of a senior All Ireland medal.

Saw him 2 weeks ago in Ballina. Had to look 3 times before it hit me who he was.
    One of the best goals ever scored in Croke Park.
    Was gutted when he togged with Donegal.

Fair to say Irwin starting to go down the same route. His goal for the minors against Rossies was quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABzWXeWLOI
    Hope he sorts himself out, been a tough few years so I can see why.

Brogan went to school in Jarlath's and he was making a name for himself even in there .... There were quality footballers in there but he still stood out.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I remember him playing with Bundoran and Donegal back then. Himself and Molloy were some mid-field pairing.

I remember thinking looking down at him about to come on in the All Ireland Semi in 92 that for Mayo it was a move that could seriously backfire. The "welcome" he received from lads going well out of their way to deliver it had little or nothing to do with him leaving Donegal to rejoin Mayo. That Donegal squad with virtually all of them from the south of the county, was a very tight knit group under McEniff. Still are to this day.
    The real annoyance, as told to me by a few of them was that Brogan was living in one of McEniff`s flats in Bundoran and working for him. When he didn`t turn up for work for a few days McEniff called to see if he was ok to find him and all his stuff gone.
    The team were annoyed at him going without saying a word to any off them, but they were especially annoyed for the disrespect he showed McEniff who they saw as somebody who was genuinely trying to help a lad that had his own demons.
    I have never had the slightest doubts in the years since that had he not done that midnight flit he would have ended that 92 season as Molloy`s mid-field partner throughout and the winner of a senior All Ireland medal.
    Sometimes you make bad calls and this was probably one for Brogan. Its funny that you say the above which makes me think that they(Donegal) regarded him highly.
    He was pure mayo really when I read the blog and he was most likely all over the place. In terms of move this is not the worst, moving to Galway would be terrible in my eyes but we never had one to do it (I think)... Tierney did go from Galway to Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Brogan went to school in Jarlath's and he was making a name for himself even in there .... There were quality footballers in there but he still stood out.

Brogan only went to Jarath's for final 2 years I think, his name was known at that stage of course. Jarlath's were known to take in the odd footballer or 2 to help out the programme!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sometimes you make bad calls and this was probably one for Brogan. Its funny that you say the above which makes me think that they(Donegal) regarded him highly.
    He was pure mayo really when I read the blog and he was most likely all over the place. In terms of move this is not the worst, moving to Galway would be terrible in my eyes but we never had one to do it (I think)... Tierney did go from Galway to Mayo

He was highly regarded football wise for good reason. He was quality and far as I recall made the Ulster Railway Cup team while playing with Donegal. Early 90`s, no mean feat in it`s own right when you consider what the talent in Ulster was like back then.
    It was a good move for him at the time, and moving back would not have been a problem with the team or management from my understanding. Ever lad wants to wear his own county`s jersey. It was just the way he left that didn`t sit well and resulted in the welcome he received in the 92 semi.

Pretty much won the '83 county final on his own, scored all but one of our points

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

muddle84 wrote: »
    I would have loved to see how Knockmore got on in Connacht, especially if they got a go at Corofin. A young team like that would fear nobody considering who they managed to beat in Mayo.

Some talk in the last few days about playing out the club provincial/All-Ireland series after Christmas so we might get to see this after all, but not against Corofin of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some talk in the last few days about playing out the club provincial/All-Ireland series after Christmas so we might get to see this after all, but not against Corofin of course

Wouldn't fancy them against Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Wouldn't fancy them against Ballymun.

They'd be 2/1 outsiders to get past Mountbellew M for starters. Maybe slightly shorter against Moycullen. Would be fascinating to see though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement