Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Champions Weekend

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

2.00 Gulliver was placed in this race last year off a higher mark. Seems to always run well here and plenty of pace on. He's a cracking bet.
    2.35 Magic wand. Think she's the best of these by a fair bit, should be shorter.
    If they go well I might have a bit on liberty beach in what looks an open race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Archie watsons in the hc sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Romantic proposal in the first.
    100 eur I have on the nose. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Where was it franked man?

Sorry Tiger moth yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Gwan Dusty ya boy ya

• Advertisement

What a ****ing moron on serpentine

Mogul outstanding
    Power and pace
    2f out on the bridle PCB just swerved thru them at absolute ease
    Very good can SSR shut the **** up now about that imposter English King

Mogul outstanding
    Power and pace
    2f out on the bridle PCB just swerved thru them at absolute ease
    Very good can SSR shut the **** up now about that imposter English King

Serpentine is clearly a better horse than mogul and I guarantee he will go close in the arc with proper tactics used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Serpentine is clearly a better horse than mogul and I guarantee he will go close in the arc with proper tactics used

He was only out for a run today, O'Brien said before the race that they were only starting back with him and he'd improve for the run.

Lmao

Right......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

3yo middle distance colts are poor overall this season. They keep beating each other. Nothing stands out among them.

Wembley is the one I take from that National Stakes. He was ridden from the back and given an educational late run where he flew into 2nd or 3rd?. This lad will stay much better than the rest of the field.

tryfix wrote: »
    Wembley is the one I take from that National Stakes. He was ridden from the back and given an educational late run where he flew into 2nd or 3rd?. This lad will stay much better than the rest of the field.

Looks like he's crying out for a mile. Could be Aidan's one for the Racing Post Trophy or whatever they're calling it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

What a day of flat racing. The best so far this year. Anthony van dyck beats Stradavarius in the arc trial in Longchamp. Mogul wins a group 1 and that is a big surprise, such a frustrating horse. The O Briens all three of them, have won a group 1 today.

But the big story is the return to the big time for the master of Rosewell, Dermot Weld. Group one wins in both Longchamp and the Curragh. In Irish flat racing hq, Search for a Song retains his St Leger crown. 12 months ago, there was a big charity race, for Pat Smullen, who is fighting cancer. I'm sure the long time first jockey to D K Weld, will get a massive kick where ever he is and we hope that the affable Offaly man, will pull through and make a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Keats in the handicap is interesting. Showing glimpses he could be better than a handicapper. I'm going to have a bet in hope rather than expectation.

3yo middle distance colts are poor overall this season. They keep beating each other. Nothing stands out among them.

It's hard to argue with that, but at the same time Mogul's race today was run in a much faster time than the 3yo fillies and older horses Arc Trials over the same distance. Then you had the not too brilliant Armory finishing a very close and fast finishing third in the Irish Champion Stakes yesterday and that was in the best of company.

I honestly think the shock Derby result and the hype over English King has screwed up people's judgement of this year's middle distance 3yo Colts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

That Thunder Moon looks like some tool. Turn of foot was tremendous

• Registered Users Posts: 39 11117

This has been spouted out each year for a while now. Maybe they’re a very decent bunch of middle distance colts who on their day could beat each other without there being a superstar amongst them. I’d hold judgement for another while with regards to Serpentine and also Mogul. Connections seem to hold both in very high regards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Mig wrote: »
    That Thunder Moon looks like some tool. Turn of foot was tremendous

Would have been interesting to see how Lucky
    Vega would have went with a clear passage.

11117 wrote: »
    This has been spouted out each year for a while now. Maybe they’re a very decent bunch of middle distance colts who on their day could beat each other without there being a superstar amongst them. I’d hold judgement for another while with regards to Serpentine and also Mogul. Connections seem to hold both in very high regards

It's been spouted each year for a while now because there's more than a grain of truth to it. The last decent Derby winner was Golden Horn in 2015. He's the only 3yo colt to win the Arc since 2010. The last 3yo colt to win the King George was Nathaniel back in 2011. The fillies have fared better. Perhaps Mogul might finally live up to the hype, but so far he's been beaten in the King Edward VII, Derby and Great Voltigeur.
    Serpentine's Derby form is looking suspect. Apart from the fact that he got an easy lead, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th have all been subsequently beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Main thought of the weekend. I didn't back her, had only small stakes on Armory on the back of the style of the G2 win lto but Magical is a classy lady. All heart and remarkable consistency. I don't think Enable is what she was and the 3 yos are as poor as I've seen bar the other O Brien fully but she will be hamstrung by that dope Moore so I think this will be the year she finally gets the big one and lands the Arc. Much rather have Seamie in my corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sorry Tiger moth yesterday

Have no idea how I got Serpentine mixed up with Santiago haha. What a clown, Ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Have no idea how I got Serpentine mixed up with Santiago haha. What a clown, Ignore!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It's been spouted each year for a while now because there's more than a grain of truth to it. The last decent Derby winner was Golden Horn in 2015. He's the only 3yo colt to win the Arc since 2010. The last 3yo colt to win the King George was Nathaniel back in 2011. The fillies have fared better. Perhaps Mogul might finally live up to the hype, but so far he's been beaten in the King Edward VII, Derby and Great Voltigeur.
    Serpentine's Derby form is looking suspect. Apart from the fact that he got an easy lead, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th have all been subsequently beaten.

I have my own notions about this particular phenomenon.

Have a look at the trends of fillies v's colts Arc wins over the last 40 yrs. I got beatings before for mentioning it, but something is up. It gets me scratching my head, I simply would love to know how the fillies suddenly started winning so many Arcs?

1980 Detroit 3 colt
    1981 Gold River4 colt
    1982 Akiyda 3 colt
    1983 All Along4 colt
    1984 Sagace 4 colt
    1985 Rainbow Quest4 colt
    1986 Dancing Brave3 colt
    1987 Trempolino3 colt
    1988 Tony Bin5 colt
    1989 Carroll House4 colt
    1990 Saumarez3 colt
    1991 Suave Dancer3 colt
    1992 Subotica4 colt
    1993 Urban Sea4 filly
    1994 Carnegie3 colt
    1995 Lammtarra3 colt
    1996 Helissio3 colt
    1997 Peintre Celebre 3 colt
    1998 Sagamix 3 colt
    1999 Montjeu 3 colt
    2000 Sinndar 3 colt
    2001 Sakhee 4 colt
    2002 Marienbard5 colt
    2003 Dalakhani3 colt
    2004 Bago 3 colt
    2005 Hurricane Run colt
    2006 Rail Link colt
    2007 Dylan Thomas colt
    2008 Zarkava 3 filly
    2009 Sea the Stars colt
    2010 Workforce colt
    2011 Danedream filly
    2012 Solemia 4 filly
    2013 Treve 3 filly
    2014 Treve 4 filly

2015 Golden Horn colt
    2016 Found[f]4 filly
    2017 Enable[f]3 filly
    2018 Enable 4
    filly
    2019 Waldgeist 5 colt

Absolutely brilliant weekend of racing
    Few thoughts
    Magical is a queen
    Best Irish filly since Found, Love has the potential but Magical just keeps doing it
    Gaiyyath seems easy to get at if you have a horse that can stay with him
    Strad won't run in the Arc surely
    Irish sprinters not up to top quality
    Mogul could yet be what we hoped. Very very impressed
    Tom Marquand is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Have a look at the trends of fillies v's colts Arc wins over the last 40 yrs. I got beatings before for mentioning it, but something is up. It gets me scratching my head, I simply would love to know how the fillies suddenly started winning so many Arcs?

1979 Three Troikas filly
    1980 Detroit 3 colt filly
    1981 Gold River4 colt filly
    1982 Akiyda 3 colt filly
    1983 All Along4 colt filly

1993 Urban Sea4 filly
    2008 Zarkava 3 filly
    2011 Danedream filly
    2012 Solemia 4 filly
    2013 Treve 3 filly
    2014 Treve 4 filly

2016 Found[f]4 filly
    2017 Enable[f]3 filly
    2018 Enable 4
    filly
    I have the data for 1979 to 2014 so I might have a look.

My guess is a number of factors
    1) good 3yo colts retired to stud quickly leaving seecond rank 4yo+ colts in the race
    2) too busy season by UK and IRE horses, with French taking a summer break
    3) UK and IRE trainers not realising the ground at Longchamp can be extremely fast or extremely heavy leaving horses in the race unsuited to the going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Looking at my file that has all the finishing positions from 1920 to 2014 here are a few shocks

1957: Oroso 52s (15th of 24 in betting)
    1962: Soltikoff 40s (12th of 24 in betting)
    1967: Topyo 82s (23rd of 30 in betting)
    1969: Levmoss 52s (14th of 24 in betting)
    1975: Star Appeal 119s (24th of 24 in betting)
    1981: Gold River 53s (13th of 24 in betting)
    1987: Trempolino 20s (6th of 11 in betting)
    1993: Urban Sea 37s (11th of 23 in betting)
    2006: Rail Link 23.6 (6th of 8 in betting)
    2011: Danedream 20s (10th of 16 in betting)
    2012: Solemia 33s (13th of 18 in betting) - 75s on Betfair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have the data for 1979 to 2014 so I might have a look.

My guess is a number of factors
    1) good 3yo colts retired to stud quickly leaving seecond rank 4yo+ colts in the race
    2) too busy season by UK and IRE horses, with French taking a summer break
    3) UK and IRE trainers not realising the ground at Longchamp can be extremely fast or extremely heavy leaving horses in the race unsuited to the going.

Apols for the mess up on the early 80's winners. But it only adds to my suspicions when I see another trend of 5 fillies suddenly winning over 5 years. When you stand back and look at what could be happening, I don't like it one bit. When you compare it to the trends of other mares and fillies historically it just gets a bit grating for me. There is are other examples I would not type for fear of getting a beating, especially around the early 80's. I must have a look out for similar trends in the US.

Agreed on all your points above btw.

1979 Three Troikas filly
    1980 Detroit 3 filly
    1981 Gold River4 filly
    1982 Akiyda 3 filly
    1983 All Along4 filly

IAMAMORON wrote: »

1980 Detroit 3 colt
    1981 Gold River4 colt
    1982 Akiyda 3 colt
    1983 All Along4 colt
    1984 Sagace 4 colt
    1985 Rainbow Quest4 colt
    1986 Dancing Brave3 colt
    1987 Trempolino3 colt
    1988 Tony Bin5 colt
    1989 Carroll House4 colt
    1990 Saumarez3 colt
    1991 Suave Dancer3 colt
    1992 Subotica4 colt
    1993 Urban Sea4 filly
    1994 Carnegie3 colt
    1995 Lammtarra3 colt
    1996 Helissio3 colt
    1997 Peintre Celebre 3 colt
    1998 Sagamix 3 colt
    1999 Montjeu 3 colt
    2000 Sinndar 3 colt
    2001 Sakhee 4 colt
    2002 Marienbard5 colt
    2003 Dalakhani3 colt
    2004 Bago 3 colt
    2005 Hurricane Run colt
    2006 Rail Link colt
    2007 Dylan Thomas colt
    2008 Zarkava 3 filly
    2009 Sea the Stars colt
    2010 Workforce colt
    2011 Danedream filly
    2012 Solemia 4 filly
    2013 Treve 3 filly
    2014 Treve 4 filly

2015 Golden Horn colt
    2016 Found[f]4 filly
    2017 Enable[f]3 filly
    2018 Enable 4
    filly
    2019 Waldgeist 5 colt

There's no mystery, note that the last French trained 3yo Colt to win the race was Rail Link in 2006. The Prix Du Jockey Club was shortened to 10 1/2 f in 2005. That year the 12f champ Hurricane Run couldn't catch the speedier Shamardal over the new shorter Derby trip but Hurricane Run won the Arc because he was a brilliant 12f horse.

In 2006 Rail Link followed the new 3yo colt's 12f path to the Arc by winning the 12f Grand Prix De Paris, since then the French 3yo Colts have gone from likely to win the Arc to hopeless over 12f.

The situation for the top 3yo 12f Colts is nearly as bad in the UK and Ireland. 3 Epsom Derby winners have won the Arc since the French gave up on taking 12f seriously, those 3 Epsom Derby winners were exceptional before they got to Longchamp. Sea The Stars a 139 rated superstar, Workforce a 128 rated Derby Winner and Golden Horn a 135 rated Champ.

None of those top drawer 3yos were trained by the Epsom Derby winning machine of Aidan O'Brien. He farms the race with future NH stallions while his top drawer Derby winners such as Australia and Camelot go fluting about by taking in the Irish Derby and a few 10f races to show they are fast enough for stud. Camelot went the vanity route of Irish Derby and the English Triple Crown, hardly a suitable prep for the Arc. They didn't want to contaminate Australia with another 12f race so they packed him off to stud without bothering with an Arc bid.

Love is the first 3yo I can think of that O'Brien has given a proper Arc prep.

For all the talk about the importance of the winning stick at Epsom, few winners break the 120 mark in winning it so it's now usually a shadow of its former self. 12f stamina is now a big drag to a young stallion's career.

• Advertisement
Advertisement