Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lions Mane - Are You Ready For This Jelly? .. with 60M tentacles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

If you thought too much about whats in the sea i think youd never get in. Was in seapoint today and the biggest danger was the swell rather than any jellyfish.

Got stung a year or so ago across both arms and the night of sweating and all over irritation was something else. Really hope it was a lions mane as couldnt imagine anything worse tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

IME unless you get a bad reaction like anaphylactic shock Lion's Mane stings aren't much worse than a nettle sting that persists for a little while longer.

The Indo always bigs this stuff up for its credulous readers. In a few months it'll be "killer spiders", then "snowmageddon", then "Noah's Flood" and then if we get any sun next summer drought scaremongering as if we live in the Sahara, and finally jellyfish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

Ryder wrote: »
    If you thought too much about whats in the sea i think youd never get in. Was in seapoint today and the biggest danger was the swell rather than any jellyfish.

Got stung a year or so ago across both arms and the night of sweating and all over irritation was something else. Really hope it was a lions mane as couldnt imagine anything worse tbh

Sea swell and big waves can be great craic. Makes you feel so alive

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Ryder wrote: »

Water quality is the concern at Seapoint right now because of the heavy rain. There is an advisory notice on www.dlrcoco.ie

seablue wrote: »
    Water quality is the concern at Seapoint right now because of the heavy rain. There is an advisory notice on www.dlrcoco.ie

Am out now..will keep you updated.

Always happens there after heavy rain so not surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

A friend sent me a picture of what looked like one washed up at Sandymount earlier this week. The jelly fish looked big. I've not posted the picture as it has as my friend's kids in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Got stung on face a couple of years ago. Was out deep so had an option of swimming straight to shore or continuing my swim. Chose the latter. When it happened it was like someone jabbed me with a thousand needles. By the time I got in it was just numb. Reckon the cold water helped even though warm to hot water is recommended as a treatment

seablue wrote: »

Should check that and beaches.ie more often. See that tjere was an advisory postted on nonday 16th. Was swimmimg tjere on monday am early, no lifeguards or flags. Went again today at high tide and lifeguards and flags were there but no notices

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Portmarnock is infested at the moment, I’ve never seen anything like the numbers washed up in the last few days, literally hundreds of them on the beach and low rock. At least it’s a clear out of sorts! The sheer numbers have stopped me going in for a few days for the first time. I’ll be back in by weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

seen one in malahide at the weekend (very similar at least) never took a pic ugly looking thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Friend came across one while walking her dog. She used her foot to scale.

Took a pic bit apparently it’s too big for boards to handle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

worded wrote: »
    Warnings at the 40 foot this year I see

Anyone hear of any in Sandycove, Bray and Greystones?

60 Meter tentacles ....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hospitalisations-and-severe-pain-expert-warns-of-lions-mane-jellyfish-appearing-on-irish-shores-39442554.html

Think 60 meters is a massive exaggeration, biggest ever recorded was 37m.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Think 60 meters is a massive exaggeration, biggest ever recorded was 37m.

Either way, theres no point looking out for them....may as well enjoy the swim

Advertisement