Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Championship 2020

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Clearly I‘m more suited to playing in the Major (under 1900) in a couple of weeks time - but they won’t let me :-(
    Hey, some of us would love a chance to just enter the main event!

Joedryan wrote: »
    It looks like Tom O'Gorman has it wrapped up. Will this be his first Irish?
    Yep. Full list of winners on (your old clubmate?) Seán Coffey's site here.

Stephen has won. Great recovery for him after an awful start (½/2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Clearly I‘m more suited to playing in the Major (under 1900) in a couple of weeks time - but they won’t let me :-(
    You will bounce back, I know what it is like to get the rabbit tag in a tournament and have everyone go after you but at least you kept fighting and didn't play for draws. A win in your next tournament will change everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

cdeb wrote: »
    Yep. Full list of winners on (your old clubmate?) Seán Coffey's site here.

good site that

• Advertisement

Colm resigns. Congrats Tom! First time I've ever had a 100% winning record against an Irish champion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Well done to Tom O'Gorman. Commiserations to Colm and Sam who were so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

Congrats Tom O Gorman. Thanks to everyone for the pleasure of watching your games - and hopefully learning a thing or two ....

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Congratulations to Tom for his outright first - and is he still only 17 years old, or is it 18?

Someone should check if he's beaten the late John Moles's record as the youngest Irish champion.

The key game, it can be seen, was his win against Sam Collins in round 6.
    By then he had already drawn with Daly and Conor and Tarun, then in round 7 he drew with Stephen. So he certainly didn't have an easy draw, except that Killian's withdrawal before they could meet opened the door a bit for him to have an easier last round game.

But you can't argue with two big wins with the Black pieces when they were really needed.

Stephen can also be pleased with his performance (after his round 1 disaster) though he won't get much (if any) of a prize, sharing 5th/6th with Tarun.
    I mean his last two games were very influential for the final result.

If we have normal conditions next year with big names like Conor Murphy and Mark Quinn back, the 2021 championship should be a fantastic competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Congratulations to Tom on an outstanding win. What final round drama!! It is a pity that Killian didn't play the last two rounds because he would still have had a big influence on the outcome. Overall a really enjoyable tournament so great thanks to the ICU and to Dave Grant for holding the event. The imposed lockdown spolit things a bit for me as no doubt I would have won my remaining games, ahem> but there ya go. Looking forward to the City of Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Congratulations to Tom,

It’s a superb result for Tom at 17 years old to win his first Irish title. Tom won’t turn 18 until December. He now adds the senior title to the U19 title that he won I think 4 years ago in Blanchardstown, and will no doubt be the first of many Irish titles for Tom.

Crucially today Tom managed to wrap up his win today earlier in the afternoon, which helped increase the pressure on both Colm and Sam, knowing that Tom has the winning tiebreak if both of them were to draw.
    Tom was able to come with a late run having hard a hard run of games in the earlier part of the week. His win as black over Sam was instrumental in keeping the tournament leaderboard tightly packed, whilst also proving so valuable a tie breaker. Tom also won the tournament the hard way, having had multiple blacks in the early going. Colm played a great tournament from the front and came so close the adding to his multiple titles this week, before just running out of steam at the finish in his tight match with Conor.

It’s pleasing to see one of the hardest working players in Irish chess win the ultimate domestic prize at such a young age, and gives a pathway for the other extremely bright prospects coming through, who are even younger than Tom.

Tom from such a young age, always played in nearly every tournament on the calendar, and had a penchant for adventurous attacking chess..credit has to go to Alex Baburin for his underage tournaments which helped develop Toms passion for the game to David Fitzsimons who was so Instrumental as coach to the underage Glorney teams and who worked tirelessly with Tom during his development. Paul Cassidy and Dun Laoghaire chess club also deserve a mention in Toms development.

Lastly I am very pleased for Toms parents, Brian and Pippa who have been such supports to both Tom and Alice as their chess prowess developed these last 8-9 years and who brought Tom, Alice (and Molly) to all the various tournaments both domestically but also internationally. Alice is also one of the strongest players in the country, having already played in several Irish senior championships and represented Ireland in Olympiads.

Enjoy tonight in Dalkey the five of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Congratulations, Tom. It's always nice to see a fresh face winning.

Advertisement