Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hanging a Dart board outside

• 10-04-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided I need to make an essential purchase in these times of lockdown and a dart board is now required to while away the afternoons and evenings with a beer in the hand:) I'm totally new here, throw the odd dart in the pubs and haven't had my own dart board since I was a kid. So a bit of research and I'm getting a Winmau Blade 5 (probably won't go for the dual core, as don't think I need it, unless anyone sees a reason why I should)

Now I live in a small enough house and don't really have room to be throwing arrows anywhere, so I am going to stick it outside. It will be going on a pebble dashed wall which is probably not the best place, but it's all I've got! Obviously being outside I don't want it getting ruined in the rain etc so am thinking I should mount it in a way that I can take it down when not in use.

So I haven't made the purchase yet, but I'm looking at 2 different set options, both coming with a couple of sets of darts. One set has a wooden cabinet with score board inside. The other set has some kind of rubber surround. Now I'm not sure about mounting either and how easy it would be to set them up in a way that I can just lift them down when not playing. Or if that's even possible ?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to bring it outside?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If you have the money, I think the best option for you would be to buy a foldable/portable dartboard stand. That way you can play indoors and just take the stand down when you're not using it. Playing outside is far from ideal, even the slightest breeze can effect your darts.

Here is one example but there are cheaper versions available:

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=342_1088&products_id=68004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

If you're looking to put a dart board outside and you're just planning on píssing about basically then I wouldn't even buy a board, check around and see if someone is throwing one out, maybe a local pub or something.

Now throwing outside can be a bit of craic in good weather if you're having a few mates over for a bbq or whatever but I wouldn't recommend putting a dart board outside if you want to throw to at home yourself. As we all know the weather in Ireland is hit and miss at best and as Kingp35 said even the slightest breeze can and will effect your darts.

If you're certain you don't have enough room for a proper board inside a foldable board would be a decent option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I just want it for a bit of craic, but happy to buy a decent board. I realise wind will make a difference but I don’t care, it’s just about having a beer in the garden when the weather is half decent and mucking around with the other half or mates etc. I not serious about flinging the arrows
    Some recommendations on a darts forum are to go with the surround as opposed to the cabinet. Think I might try mounting a small bit of wood permanently to the wall and then use something like this that I can take it on and off with

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=66217

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I have mounted my dartboard to a large piece of hardboard, drilled two holes in the top of the hardboard, and have two screws on a wall in the sun room, on which (normally) hang a canvas. When I want to throw darts, the canvas comes down, and the hardboard goes up (to be honest, the dartboard has become the fixture now!) The rubber surround is supported by the dartboard itself.

With the recent nice weather, I just put two screws on the shed and moved the entire installation outside in a minute.

I also got a second piece of hardboard (same size) painted it with blackboard paint, and this attaches by hooks to the bottom of the first piece, to act as scoreboard and extra wall protection for beginners going for double 3! Works well for me, and I think it looks very neat, and cheap too.

Advertisement