Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FPL Wildcard Thread 2020/2021

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:09pm

I’m going to hit it this week.

Looking for input on the best 4.5m GK option and the best 5.0m defender option.

I think it’s still McCarthy or Ryan. The idea of a Leeds GK interests me too but he didn’t look very good at the weekend.

Reece James is clear and away the best option at 5.0m but annoyingly not nailed on. Not sure what he’ll need to do to be nailed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

Probably holding off on the wildcard myself until next week but will likely steer clear of Reece James in case Azpilicueta comes back to take his place. Thinking of maybe going Coleman as a possible 5mill defender option but not sure what I can afford yet.

macraignil wrote: »
    Probably holding off on the wildcard myself until next week but will likely steer clear of Reece James in case Azpilicueta comes back to take his place. Thinking of maybe going Coleman as a possible 5mill defender option but not sure what I can afford yet.

I’ll be going Digne from the Everton options so the final 5.0m defender will be a problem for me.

I just want a good option that is nailed. Already have Saiss. Don’t think I want Man U defender. Or Arsenal.

Wolves and Everton don’t have Europe this year and that’s really turning me off Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I’ll be going Digne from the Everton options so the final 5.0m defender will be a problem for me.

I just want a good option that is nailed. Already have Saiss. Don’t think I want Man U defender. Or Arsenal.

Wolves and Everton don’t have Europe this year and that’s really turning me off Arsenal.

Are you going 3-4-3? If so would you go Digne, Saiss and 3 rotating 4.5s for the final spot? Lewis, Taylor, Lamptey, Ayling some potentially good picks in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Invincible

I’m going to hit it this week.

Looking for input on the best 4.5m GK option and the best 5.0m defender option.

I think it’s still McCarthy or Ryan. The idea of a Leeds GK interests me too but he didn’t look very good at the weekend.

Reece James is clear and away the best option at 5.0m but annoyingly not nailed on. Not sure what he’ll need to do to be nailed.

Martinez, but he'll hardly play the weekend without having a few training sessions with villa.

Are you going 3-4-3? If so would you go Digne, Saiss and 3 rotating 4.5s for the final spot? Lewis, Taylor, Lamptey, Ayling some potentially good picks in there.

No. That’s how I started.

One of the main reasons I’m wildcarding is to go 5 at the back.

A proper buy set and forget. So 5 premiums.

The only consideration I would make would be a 4.5m that I really like and treat him as a premium. Not sure I’ll find it though. Unless a Leeds FB turns my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No. That’s how I started.

One of the main reasons I’m wildcarding is to go 5 at the back.

A proper buy set and forget. So 5 premiums.

The only consideration I would make would be a 4.5m that I really like and treat him as a premium. Not sure I’ll find it though. Unless a Leeds FB turns my head.
    Robbo, TAA, Doherty, Digne, James?

CSF wrote: »
    Robbo, TAA, Doherty, Digne, James?

Don’t fancy Doherty yet.

As above but Saiss for Doherty.

Would have preferred a Wolves WB but doesn’t look likely.

Think I’ll just punt on James and hope he does enough to hold his place long term. Don’t know why Lampard doesn’t just play Azpilicueta beside Silva.

So who’s the best long term 4.5m defender ?

Someone you’d be happy to play every GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Newcastle lads could be good shout, Lacelles should play every week - and they do have some great run of games -

Lamptey at Brighton looked very lively against Chelsea the other night.

If Taylor plays he might be decent shot - Their squad is a bit thin so would be a worry that they will struggle this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't believe that last criteria you mentioned exists among the 4.5s, but to answer your first question I would say Charlie Taylor, followed by the Leeds fullbacks.

I watched Justin's 9 points with regret, but I just wasn't into the idea of setting up for a defensive transfer, and given I have to make one for Vinagre now anyway, it would have been 2 early transfers on defenders when I wanna be bringing in the big hitter attackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Lamptey was electric.

As for an every gameweek type, maybe Taylor for Burnley, but not sure there's an every gameweek 4.5.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Newcastle lads could be good shout, Lacelles should play every week - and they do have some great run of games -

Lamptey at Brighton looked very lively against Chelsea the other night.

If Taylor plays he might be decent shot - Their squad is a bit thin so would be a worry that they will struggle this year.

I really rate Lascelles and I think he’s a top 6 player but he’s just too injury prone.

Lamptey was on my post season shortlist, of only about 2 defenders, so maybe I should just go with him. They have a nasty habit of conceding though.

I don’t fancy Burnley, at all, this season.

Looks like Lamptey might trump James but only because of assured starts.

I’ll still scrawl through and look for a better 5.0m option though.

In fact, I’ll go with James on the WC and downgrade to Lamptey if James is not starting all games.

Thanks for the input guys.

Can’t believe I’m the only lunatic wildcarding.

Arsenal fans - Elneny is playing 90 minutes, every GW, at 4.5m right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can’t believe I’m the only lunatic wildcarding.

Arsenal fans - Elneny is playing 90 minutes, every GW, at 4.5m right ?

He may not be for long though. They are rumoured to be in for a couple of players that could play in that position plus Ceballos can play there as well. Think Bissouma/Reed are safer bets.

Yeah. Hard to see past Xhaka and Ceballos starting in the middle although I do think Elneny could be the one to replace either of them if they’re not available.

Can’t believe Reed is making it in to my squad. Already have Bissouma so it’s really who the next best 4.5m midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Wildcarding also! A, B or neither lads? Martial/Son/Rodriguez vs Fernandes/Grealish/Richarlison
    I will go Meslier -> Martinez soon

A
    Meslier (Button)
    Holding Pieters Mitchell Justin Lascelles
    KDB Auba Fernandes Gealish (Romeu)
    Werner Richarlison Wilson

B
    Meslier (Button)
    Holding Pieters Mitchell Justin Lascelles
    KDB Auba Rodriguez Son (Romeu)
    Werner Martial Wilson

darego wrote: »
    Wildcarding also! A or B lads?

A
    a.png

B
    b.png

Not much between them :pac:

That’s a pain in the arse to be zooming in on to even try and pick out the differences.

It looks like Son and Martial

Or

Fernandes and Richarlison

I don’t like Spurs so for that reason the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Yeah. Hard to see past Xhaka and Ceballos starting in the middle although I do think Elneny could be the one to replace either of them if they’re not available.

Can’t believe Reed is making it in to my squad. Already have Bissouma so it’s really who the next best 4.5m midfielder.

I'd monitor Alzate for Brighton over Bissouma. Alzate was at fault for Chelsea's 1st goal, but his general play was quite good. Think he could be a hidden gem and could add a few goals/assists to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Wildcarding also! A, B or neither lads? Martial/Son/Rodriguez vs Fernandes/Grealish/Richarlison

A
    a.png

B
    b.png

Holding, Pieters, Mitchell and Justin... to my knowledge none of those are nailed to start longer term.

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Holding, Pieters, Mitchell and Justin... to my knowledge none of those are nailed to start longer term.

yeah cheers. plan is to change holding -> saliba and justin -> lampty when needed. there are a few 4.5 options but i'll make use of holding and justin while i can. i thought pieters was a definite starter for burnley though? i can always change him to taylor but looks like pieters can more assists in him than taylor

joeyboy11 wrote: »

Maybe it's my browser (chrome) - but i still can't see any teams that he post - all i see is

A

B

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    I'd monitor Alzate for Brighton over Bissouma. Alzate was at fault for Chelsea's 1st goal, but his general play was quite good. Think he could be a hidden gem and could add a few goals/assists to his game.

Reckon Alzate will lose his place to Propper.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Maybe it's my browser (chrome) - but i still can't see any teams that he post - all i see is

A

B

i took the pics out now in place of text, to make it easier for some people to view

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

i took the pics out now in place of text, to make it easier for some people to view

A.Bruno, Grealish and Ricarlison

Or

B. Son, Rodriguez and Martial

That's basically your decision (outside of some questions in defence)

A for me.

would i be mad not to go with kdb? team looks a bit more balanced with digne in defence. Meslier -> Martinez next gw

Meslier (Button)
    Holding Digne Mitchell Justin Lascelles
    Auba Fernandes Rodriguez Gealish (Romeu)
    Werner Aguero Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Trigger pulled on the WC earlier this week - latest draft:

McCarthy
    TAA, Robbo, Digne, James,
    KDB, Bruno, Greenwood, Hamez, Willian
    DCL

Nyland, Brewster, Bamford, Mitchell

Opinions on a SAE please!

Contemplating downgrading Robbo to beef up the attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Trigger pulled on the WC earlier this week - latest draft:

McCarthy
    TAA, Robbo, Digne, James,
    KDB, Bruno, Greenwood, Hamez, Willian
    DCL

Nyland, Brewster, Bamford, Mitchell

Opinions on a SAE please!

Contemplating downgrading Robbo to beef up the attack?

I'm not familiar with Mitchell but James probably won't play every week. Bamford probably won't play every week either nor will Brewster.

You need at least one bench player who will start but realistically two to cover injury and rotation

I'd replace McCarthy with someone else, maybe Leno, Martinez or Guiata. Southampton are a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

yeah cheers. plan is to change holding -> saliba and justin -> lampty when needed. there are a few 4.5 options but i'll make use of holding and justin while i can. i thought pieters was a definite starter for burnley though? i can always change him to taylor but looks like pieters can more assists in him than taylor

I thought C.Taylor was first choice left back but didn’t get to watch much footie last year so not really sure. I think the only certs in Burnley defence are the keeper and centre backs.
    Also just to note on lacacelles, Lewis looked very attacking on the left for them against west ham so may offer more of an attacking threat.

Advertisement