Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Watch

• 12-09-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I don't get it now, series 2 it's gone from Apple Store but series 1 still there and series 3 now , what is different between series 1 and 2? I'm about to buy my first Apple Watch but seriously confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't get it now, series 2 it's gone from Apple Store but series 1 still there and series 3 now , what is different between series 1 and 2? I'm about to buy my first Apple Watch but seriously confused

better off to pick up a discounted series 2.
    the series 1 doesn't have gps in it otherwise its the same as series 2.
    Series 3 is a disaster. No cellular for Ireland means the model they launch is already obsolete.
    my advice..pick up a cheap series 1 or 2nd hand series 2 and wait for series 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Blazer wrote: »
    the series 1 doesn't have gps in it otherwise its the same as series 2.
    Series 3 is a disaster. No cellular for Ireland means the model they launch is already obsolete.
    my advice..pick up a cheap series 1 or 2nd hand series 2 and wait for series 4.

Series 2 is also water resistant to 50 metres. Series 1 is "splash" resistant

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Series 2 is also water resistant to 50 metres. Series 1 is "splash" resistant

forgot that actually.
    yep op..buy a 2nd hand well looked after series 2 then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't waste money on a series 1, you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

wonder will the likes of argos, currys, john lewis, etc. be selling off the Apple watch 2 for a lower price now with the announcement today..... does this practice usually happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

awec wrote: »
    Don't waste money on a series 1, you'll regret it.

Reason???
    Passing through Heathrow later
    Dixon are usually a lot cheaper than Apple Store

Thinking series 1 ... don't need gps.
    Is the processor worth €100 extra

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Reason???

They have the same processor but the series 2 has better screen, water resistant, gps and I think more ram.
    It’s a far better watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Reason???

This. If you don't need GPS, the Series 1 is perfect. Chip in both Series is the same speed. I've been in the pool with my Series 1 with absolutely no issues. Save yourself the extra money.

Those worrying about the lack of cellular capabilities of the Series 3 in Ireland are frankly ridiculous. Indeed I note that only the GPS version is for sale on the Irish Apple website with the Series 1.The Watch still does everything else except the phone function. I've no doubt that the phone companies here will get on the gravy train soon enough. I see AT&T are charging an extra $10 a month to use cellular.

Buying the Series 2 is only smart now when they are reduced to clear stock...

The cellular Watch is what people have been looking for since day 1.
    When you compare what you can do with the cellular versus non-cellular it’s fairly obvious that the version Ireland is getting is obsolete.
    To say it’s ridiculous what people are saying shows you’ve limited understanding of the technical side of the watch and the now severely limited functionality of the non-cellular Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If you bought the cellular one from the Uk would it work here for the moment with the prospect of adding cellular at a later date way into the future if the networks here ever de use to support it?

• Advertisement

Reason???

There's €100 between the series 1 and 3.

For that you get better better processor, water resistance, better screen, altimeter, gps.

Dixons may not have reduced the series 1 price yet.

When you compare what you can do with the cellular versus non-cellular it’s fairly obvious that the version Ireland is getting is obsolete.
    To say it’s ridiculous what people are saying shows you’ve limited understanding of the technical side of the watch and the now severely limited functionality of the non-cellular Watch.

Am considering the 3. Disagree it's obsolete. I don't want an extra cellular cost every month just for the Watch. Us pricing is $10 per month so probably €10 here.

I'm never without my phone.

Am more concerned that Spotify isn't supported.

If you bought the cellular one from the Uk would it work here for the moment with the prospect of adding cellular at a later date way into the future if the networks here ever de use to support it?

Not sure to be honest.
    It probably would from the uk version of the internal sim but it could take a year before we get it here.
    To be honest it’s a shocking launch from apple. They would have been better launching just the cellular version and rolling it out on a country by country basis but cook’s a bean counter so they only care about their revenue.
    That’s the reason the series 2 is discontinued.
    Between the 2&3 the only difference is the processor and since you can’t have Siri without the cellular why would you bother paying €100 more or so for a series 3 when a series 2 will do the same job.

I'm sure it'll work for the moment but not clear yet if it'll work as a cellular watch on an Irish carrier when cellular is eventually supported. I'd guess it would.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Am considering the 3. Disagree it's obsolete. I don't want an extra cellular cost every month just for the Watch. Us pricing is $10 per month so probably €10 here.

I'm never without my phone.

Am more concerned that Spotify isn't supported.

You say that now. But you’re out running or exercising or at the gym? You don’t need a bulky phone with you anymore when you have the watch.
    It’s one of these gadgets where once you use it you realize its capability etc.
    I’d gladly pay a tenner more a month for this.
    The only worry is data allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is the battery not supposed to be a lot better in the series 2 compared to series 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

You say that now. But you’re out running or exercising or at the gym? You don’t need a bulky phone with you anymore when you have the watch.
    It’s one of these gadgets where once you use it you realize its capability etc.
    I’d gladly pay a tenner more a month for this.
    The only worry is data allowances.

I have the series 2 and I still don't need a phone with me in the gym. I'm not going to be answering calls or texts anyway. Most people I'd imagine are the same.

Also, you can sync playlists to Apple watch 2. So with that and Beats X, I don't see the need (for me) for cellular. Plus, I'd rather not pay extra for it.
    Is the battery not supposed to be a lot better in the series 2 compared to series 1?

Not sure about Series 1 but by late evening I usually have about 70-80% battery left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I bought the Nike Gen 2 when the were reduced to €320 a few weeks ago. Nothing great about them. Certainly wouldn't pay full price.

I got Airpods last week. Fantastic.

Four Winds wrote: »
    I have the series 2 and I still don't need a phone with me in the gym. I'm not going to be answering calls or texts anyway. Most people I'd imagine are
    You’d be surprised how many people have their phone in the gym. I reckon at least 90% of gym goers carry their phone.
    For me even with the series 2 I still had to have my phone in case of emergencies but it’s a 7 plus so bulky to be carry around.
    It’s fitness people who will see the most benefit of the cellular watch as it means less weight and a bulky phone to be carrying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Its also worth noting when considering the cellular watch that it in addition to the LTE functionality it also comes with twice the storage 16GB vs 8GB. Hopefully if you bought the cellular version from the UK considering we use the same standards here that the cellular functionality would be usable here once there is network support.

I think the extra processing power of the series 3 will provide for a longer product lifecycle as hopefully the watch will remain in support for longer re WatchOS releases.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/overlay/watch/connectivity
    Cellular Carrier Support
    Connecting Apple Watch to a cellular network requires the same carrier as your iPhone, and we’re adding carriers all the time. If your current carrier does not support Apple Watch, cellular functionality won’t work until support is provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For YOU maybe. Personally I have zero interest in paying an additional monthly tariff simply to make calls on my watch without my phone. I always have my phone.

I have a perfectly adequate knowledge of the technological side of the watch and to call the GPS version 'obsolete' is indeed ridiculous. Other than the cellular function, there is no difference between the different models. The GPS version will still work!!

It will be interesting to see what the market dictates in those countries that are offering GPS and cellular and which is most popular when total cost of ownership is taken into account.

Don't be blinded by your own myopic wish for what the watch should and should not do for different people in different markets.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    For YOU maybe. Personally I have zero interest in paying an additional monthly tariff simply to make calls on my watch without my phone. I always have my phone.

I have a perfectly adequate knowledge of the technological side of the watch and to call the GPS version 'obsolete' is indeed ridiculous. Other than the cellular function, there is no difference between the different models. The GPS version will still work!!

It will be interesting to see what the market dictates in those countries that are offering GPS and cellular and which is most popular when total cost of ownership is taken into account.

Don't be blinded by your own myopic wish for what the watch should and should not do for different people in different markets.

It’s not blindness. I work in the Tech industry so tend to look long term at these sort of things.
    For instance when Microsoft moved their console to an x86 platform I called out back in 2013 before the Xbox One was released that this would mean we would see console upgrades being released with faster gpu/cpu machines while still being able to support the legacy Xbox one. People told me I was talking rubbish and this would split the user base. 4 years later Microsoft and Sony release their upgraded versions while still keeping their user base intact. The reason people told me I was wrong etc was because they were familiar with the console hardware but not the software platform which was a far more important change in the lifecyles of these products.
    Sure people will still buy the series 3 but the non-cellular version is now living on borrowed time. Sure you can still use it for its intended purpose and that's fine for people but essentially its obsolete. Once apple get enough carriers on board its curtains for the non-cellular version.
    Sticky this so you can reference it next year to see who’s right.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€59 for the new velcro strap is really taking the p1ss.

€59 for the new velcro strap is really taking the p1ss.

The third party ones will be out soon 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I was in Dixons in Heathrow yesterday evening looking at the Apple Watch. No mention of the 3, just 1 & 2 available. Was seriously tempted by the 42mm Series 2 for £369 but decided to do a bit of research about the 3. The guy in Dixons knew nothing about the 3 and knew nothing about any discounting of the Series 2. He said that they are usually a good bit cheaper than UK High Street prices.
    Went onto the Apple Ireland site and the new Series 3 is €379 for the 38mm and €409 for the 42mm. The Nike+ versions were the same price. The Series 2 in Dixons would have been slightly more expensive.
    Just shows you that it pays to shop around and not everything at home is more expensive...

Donie75 wrote: »
    I was in Dixons in Heathrow yesterday evening looking at the Apple Watch. No mention of the 3, just 1 & 2 available. Was seriously tempted by the 42mm Series 2 for £369 but decided to do a bit of research about the 3. The guy in Dixons knew nothing about the 3 and knew nothing about any discounting of the Series 2. He said that they are usually a good bit cheaper than UK High Street prices.
    Went onto the Apple Ireland site and the new Series 3 is €379 for the 38mm and €409 for the 42mm. The Nike+ versions were the same price. The Series 2 in Dixons would have been slightly more expensive.
    Just shows you that it pays to shop around and not everything at home is more expensive...

It looks like the series 3 watches on the Apple Ireland website don't include cellular connectivity anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Pardon my ignorance but what does the cellular connectivity do? Can you get another sim card and put it in your watch? As long as it connects to my phone I think I'll be happy.
    One other Question... can I load music to the watch and play it to any Bluetooth headphones or do I need apple ones?

Think I'm going to go for the Series 3 42mm.

Pardon my ignorance but what does the cellular connectivity do? Can you get another sim card and put it in your watch? As long as it connects to my phone I think I'll be happy.
    One other Question... can I load music to the watch and play it to any Bluetooth headphones or do I need apple ones?

Think I'm going to go for the Series 3 42mm.

With cellular connectivity you can take/make calls with your watch, use siri and other stuff like that. I think the Series 3 with cellular connectivity isn't available in Ireland because none of the providers here offer a second sim on the same number yet. Not sure about your other questions. I'd like to get the series 2 myself but it seems to be very hard to find them discounted

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

With cellular connectivity you can take/make calls with your watch, use siri and other stuff like that. I think the Series 3 with cellular connectivity isn't available in Ireland because none of the providers here offer a second sim on the same number yet. Not sure about your other questions. I'd like to get the series 2 myself but it seems to be very hard to find them discounted

You can do this on series 2, the difference is with the series 3 you won't need your phone to be in range to do it.

It is aimed at people who go running or whatever, they don't have to take their phone with them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I too was in Dixons in Heathrow ... yep no offers on the 1 or 2 series!
    The SE 32gb was a great price @ €309 alright

Series 3 via apple site for me I think

Advertisement