Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10th Annual White Christmas Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just a bit of bad news for those hoping for a white Christmas but my following statement won't necessarily state what type of Christmas we get.

I THINK DECEMBER 2019 WILL BE MILDER THAN NOVEMBER 2019.

Thank heaven! The cold this month.. The last 2 winters here I never used a hot water bottle. Been glued to 2 of them this month...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just a bit of bad news for those hoping for a white Christmas but my following statement won't necessarily state what type of Christmas we get.

I THINK DECEMBER 2019 WILL BE MILDER THAN NOVEMBER 2019.

Hopefully you are right but less rain would be a bonus...been very wet these last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

No big changes on the forecast this morning. December is looking a hard one to call generally with indications of a more mobile pattern (wind and rain) mid / late month one day and colder weather indicated the next. The GFS starts forecasting up to Christmas day from this day week onwards. The ECM won't get that far until 15 December. Accordingly we won't really have any particularly educated guesses up until then. For now the GFS only goes up to 18 December but looks chilly enough overall. This morning's CFS is suggesting a very mild spell starting on 23 December. Hopefully not the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Paddy Power 4/1 for Dublin, I might have a little bet I think ;)

Villain wrote: »
    Paddy Power 4/1 for Dublin, I might have a little bet I think ;)

Just looked at PP website. Criteria seems to just be that it snows on Christmas day (no mention of amount). Assume it would be for the Met station at Dublin airport to verify.

How many days in winter (1/12 to 28/2) would meet that criteria typically though? I reckon about 3 or 4 at best in an average winter (even allowing for that snow to stick / fall overnight and be washed away before the morning by rain, etc). Thus 4-1 seems fairly ungenerous to me accordingly! That said I'm aware of this stat that it has apparently snowed on average 1 Christmas day out of 7 at Dublin airport since records began. Hard to rationalise that isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Charts for 2nd half of December look very mobile

Id say the chances for Xmas are thus approx so far

Cold and Dry 10 percent
    Cold and Showery and breezy 55 per cent
    White Out 5 percent

Mild moist and misty 15 percent
    Stormy and wet 15 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I remember that Christmas Day snowfall in 2004(?) - It was like the perfect kind of snowfall it fell on Christmas eve, I remember looking out the window and seeing a fox walking passed the backdoor :o Then a lovely covering for a Christmas morning walk and it faded into the evening. Just the right amount.

2009 we had lots of lovely soft snow here too. 2010 was snowy but it had compacted to slippy ice and that made two years in a row with no electric or running water on Christmas day. So I was getting over the noveltly value :D

Yep, I'd enjoy a return of 2004's snow just for the magic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In 3 days, FI Charts will take us up to Christmas day so we can get a much better idea how the big day itself will pan out.

The CFS is currently showing mild south-westerlies over Ireland for Christmas Day with a big area of low pressure moving in from the Atlantic. This will of course change as this is 3 weeks out.

cfs-0-456.png?06

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say mild moist n misty is most likely now

10 to 13c.....so we can ignore the weather on Xmas day.....again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS FI now takes us to Christmas eve. Looking very mild with south-westerlies taken over from 21 December. Most of Europe looks very mild by the 24th with air coming up from the Canary Islands over the UK and Ireland. 13 or 14C across Ireland could easily be reached if this was to verify. If there were a few sunny breaks somewhere east of the Wicklow Mountains could get to 15C.
    GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

This is still over 2 weeks away so may be very different by the time we get to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS FI now takes us to Christmas eve. Looking very mild with south-westerlies taken over from 21 December. Most of Europe looks very mild by the 24th with air coming up from the Canary Islands over the UK and Ireland. 13 or 14C across Ireland could easily be reached if this was to verify. If there were a few sunny breaks somewhere east of the Wicklow Mountains could get to 15C.
    GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

This is still over 2 weeks away so may be very different by the time we get to Christmas.

Really hope so Gonzo. Do not want a repeat of Christmas 2011 & 2015 when temperatures hit 13/14 degrees on Christmas Day. When will the weather gods give us a cold crisp Christmas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A decade of pure rubbish xmas weather overall if its seasonal weather you want Although it did start with a bang. From about 95 -2010 we got a reasonable amount of seasonal weather at xmas time . Been poor for that since.

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

Of course nothing set in stone but it is incredible how often this has happened over the last 10 years. Appears almost non random that this plume of warm air arrives from Iberia this time most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Of course nothing set in stone but it is incredible how often this has happened over the last 10 years. Appears almost non random that this plume of warm air arrives from Iberia this time most years.

Thank you Iberia. We live in an uninsulated farmhouse, so a warm winter is much appreciated.

In this whole decade of xmas weather apart from 2010 (and if I was being picky I wish that cold spell could have lasted up until new yrs instead of finishing on st Stephens day but cant have it all I guess), the only cold weather was a couple of days between xmas day and new yrs 2014 which I got some severe frosts and a day or so at the same time in 2017 when I got a transient snowfall (parts of the Midlands did get some snow in mid dec 2017). So that's what we are up against in the hope for something festive this yr.

Could perhaps include for the sake of it ,22nd dec 2013 ,when I got some heavy wet snow showers. First half of dec 2011 I got 2 or 3 night time dustings.

Very poor.

Well based on MT’s forecast this morning I think it’s safe to say there won’t be a white Christmas this year. I just hope it’s not exceptionally mild. I’d gladly take temperatures in the 5-8°C range at this stage. Let’s hope this active, mobile regime dissipates in a few weeks time. I’m currently in Wroclaw, Poland and it’s quite mild at 9°C. We need central and eastern Europe to get much colder over the coming weeks for our own prospects down the line. I’m sure it will happen but it’s taking a bit longer than usual.

Well one thing looks likely, a mild run up to xmas as after this average to cool week things do look like turning milder so a mild run up odds on imo whatever happens after....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Feck it anyway. Why can't it be cold and frosty at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im hoping for a freak snow storm

Christmas Day has now made it into FI so we can get a better idea what the day has in store for us.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

Looks very mild or even warm, if this chart was to verify, it could bring some of the warmest conditions we've had since October. Winds are coming up from Morocco/Canary Islands and the +8C uppers over the country

GFSOPEU06_384_2.png

An area of high pressure is closeby over the UK, which could produce a frosty night if skies were clear enough, but temperatures could shoot up into the low to mid teens in many places during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who needs the hassle. As we saw at the beginning of this decade it ruins travel and commerce and family plans, let the festive season pass by and hopefully get a nice snowy spell in January when everyone can batten down at home and enjoy it.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Who needs the hassle. As we saw at the beginning of this decade it ruins travel and commerce and family plans, let the festive season pass by and hopefully get a nice snowy spell in January when everyone can batten down at home and enjoy it.

I do agree with this, I love snow but not when everyone is trying to drive and visit each other in the run up to Christmas. From new years eve onwards is when I like to see the snow. At the same time, a cold frosty Christmas day would do nicely compared to a day of mild south-westerlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

esposito wrote: »
    Well based on MT’s forecast this morning I think it’s safe to say there won’t be a white Christmas this year. I just hope it’s not exceptionally mild. I’d gladly take temperatures in the 5-8°C range at this stage. Let’s hope this active, mobile regime dissipates in a few weeks time. I’m currently in Wroclaw, Poland and it’s quite mild at 9°C. We need central and eastern Europe to get much colder over the coming weeks for our own prospects down the line. I’m sure it will happen but it’s taking a bit longer than usual.

It's 16 days away, the models are useless after 5 days, let alone 3x that distance away. We won't have any idea what the weather is going to be like for another 10 days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFSOPEU06_384_2.png

giphy.gif

Logan Roy wrote: »
    It's 16 days away, the models are useless after 5 days, let alone 3x that distance away. We won't have any idea what the weather is going to be like for another 10 days at least.

right now the GFS operational which I posted above is almost on it's own in terms of mild. Many of the other runs are considerably cooler and a few are bordering on wintry.

GFSP20EU06_384_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I do agree with this, I love snow but not when everyone is trying to drive and visit each other in the run up to Christmas. From new years eve onwards is when I like to see the snow. At the same time, a cold frosty Christmas day would do nicely compared to a day of mild south-westerlies.

If folk are with families. with a big festive meal. does it matter what the weather is as long as folk can get out and around safely?

Where did this idea of snow being associated with Christmas start?

Logan Roy wrote: »

True but I just have a bad feeling about this Christmas. Anyway, We’ll see what happens. All I want is a few dry, frosty days at this stage. The snow can wait till after Christmas

A cold frosty xmas followed by snow around new yrs would be ideal .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Graces7 wrote: »
    If folk are with families. with a big festive meal. does it matter what the weather is as long as folk can get out and around safely?

Where did this idea of snow being associated with Christmas start?

The association of snow with Christmas took of in Victorian times ,the writings of Charles Dickens also incrusted this association in our minds it is also around this time Christmas cards became popular.
    Winters were also harsh around this time ,I believe a solar minimum was happening.

• Advertisement

GFS updated to less milder than this mornings spring like Christmas Day run to something more average with temperatures in the 6 to 9C range and cool north-westerly flow.

Advertisement