Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Brides/Grooms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

Thanks everyone for your help. So good to hear that it’s doable, the whole thing is so daunting right now! I want to enjoy it as much as I can and not get too stressed out by it, not sure if that’s feasible in my time frame!!

Looking forward to getting stuck in now and making some decisions. Thanks again everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

elle.en wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help. So good to hear that it’s doable, the whole thing is so daunting right now! I want to enjoy it as much as I can and not get too stressed out by it, not sure if that’s feasible in my time frame!!

Looking forward to getting stuck in now and making some decisions. Thanks again everyone :)
    Its absolutely doable but do try enjoy the engagement aswell. We got engaged two months ago and we are looking at July wedding in France next year and its overwhelming all the things to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Anyone who is getting married in the first few months next year (Feb/March/April time), when are you planning to send out your invites? We're end of March, and I know the norm is 8-12 weeks (right?), but I feel like Christmas and New Years will throw a bit of a spanner in the works. Any thoughts/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I'm getting married the beginning of Sept next year and was thinkg of sending my invites out the beginning of June because June/July/August are prime holiday months. I'd say send them out earlier then normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jezabelle28

love_love wrote: »
    Anyone who is getting married in the first few months next year (Feb/March/April time), when are you planning to send out your invites? We're end of March, and I know the norm is 8-12 weeks (right?), but I feel like Christmas and New Years will throw a bit of a spanner in the works. Any thoughts/advice?

I was told to send them out 6 weeks before the wedding but my thoughts are if you know what date you are getting married and have the invites sitting there then send them out! We getting married 22nd Feb, intentions are to send them out last week in Nov/early December to hopefully kinda avoid the Christmas rush! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

We are doing things a little differently. We have a large amount of people travelling from far away. As we want to give them lots of time we are sending out our save the dates soon(wedding is 11 months away). We are including a link to the wedding website which has an option to RSVP from now so they are essentially our invites 11 months in advance.

We will send invites a few months before but we should know by then who is coming and who is not

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

We're doing something similar as ours is abroad (next July) so we shall be sending invites and links to the website by the end of Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Hi everyone!

Just got engaged this weekend, still on a high but coming back to reality very quickly!! We are hoping to book for September 2019 but I’m wondering now from reading some posts is that unrealistic if we are only starting now? Even if we find a venue we want will it be hard to find a good band, make up artist, photographer etc?

Would love some opinions!

I hear you! Got engaged the same weekend as you and hoping for July 2019. Glad to read the reassurance on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Hi everyone!

Just got engaged this weekend, still on a high but coming back to reality very quickly!! We are hoping to book for September 2019 but I’m wondering now from reading some posts is that unrealistic if we are only starting now? Even if we find a venue we want will it be hard to find a good band, make up artist, photographer etc?

Would love some opinions!

I hear you! Got engaged the same weekend as you and hoping for July 2019. Glad to read the reassurance on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

We are doing things a little differently. We have a large amount of people travelling from far away. As we want to give them lots of time we are sending out our save the dates soon(wedding is 11 months away). We are including a link to the wedding website which has an option to RSVP from now so they are essentially our invites 11 months in advance.

We will send invites a few months before but we should know by then who is coming and who is not

We did this on Monday and it has been great so far - doing it in batches. Send our save the dates via email and it enables us to see that they are being picked up.

Some of our friends that will have far to travel have already rsvp'd via the website and its great to receive messages from then when they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

exactly a year away today so I'll be treating herself to a meal tonight, nothing fancy as we've the deposit on suits to pay next week (groomsmen are warned not to get fat or skinny between now and next year, exact fittings will be in March or April just getting some of it paid for now)

laoch na mona, my OH bought his suit the other week and the shop gave us the impression we were looking very far in advance (we're end of March). Did you get any advice on the groomsmen suits? I'm a bit worried as well that our groomsmen will change in size but my OH plans on getting the suits bought in the next couple of weeks! Are you matching your suit to theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

laoch na mona, my OH bought his suit the other week and the shop gave us the impression we were looking very far in advance (we're end of March). Did you get any advice on the groomsmen suits? I'm a bit worried as well that our groomsmen will change in size but my OH plans on getting the suits bought in the next couple of weeks! Are you matching your suit to theirs?

yeah we matched the suits, grooms men will have a slightly different tie and handkerchief.

The shop just noted what sizes (40R, 38L, ect) and will take a deposit and get the sizes in. the exact fitting and alterations will be done next year

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

exactly a year away today so I'll be treating herself to a meal tonight, nothing fancy as we've the deposit on suits to pay next week (groomsmen are warned not to get fat or skinny between now and next year, exact fittings will be in March or April just getting some of it paid for now)

Any recommendations for a good place to get suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelfy

Hi all,

We got engaged in April 2017 and decided then to aim for April 2019 as the 'ding dong day' as it were!

Unfortunately in the interim time, one of my partner's close relatives fell ill and passed away. It was a sudden and unexpected illness and it never felt right to be planning the wedding during that time.

We are in a better headspace now and considering what to do.
    Are we mad to try pull it off for April 2019?
    We were hoping to do it on a Friday or Saturday as some people would be travelling and this would be more convenient.
    I see on these threads people having booked things years in advance so I am a little worried!

We are thinking of doing the legal part separately and then having a ceremony where a friend takes us through some vows and we exchange rings. This would not be legally binding, just nice!
    We have a list of about 60 people for the ceremony and would like to have maybe 100 to the afters. We are loathe to spend thousands on the day however so am not sure how feasible this is. That said, we are not too fixed on any one idea for the day (asides from who we meet at the altar!) so perhaps we have inadvertently cut down on the amount of decisions we will need to make!
    I saw a dress I like on asos today and it go me thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Lol, I love it that it was a dress on Asos that started this.
    I saw one there last night that would be amazing for a civil ceremony and now that makes me want 2 dresses. its less than €100 so I feel it would be justified. We've had similar delays so planning ourselves now for 2019 and yet to confirm a date. You've actually described one of my ideal scenarios, ie small legal wedding and then more of a party wedding another day. The idea of doing a simple ceremony with friends is lovely and I might steal it! My concern with doing the 2 seperately was actually what to do about keeping the party day weddingy enough if all the legals are already taken care of. 
    FWIW a friend of mine got engaged and married in 5 months, on a Saturday. Once you're not absolutely dead set on one venue and are openminded, then I'd say it would be very doable.

kelfy, depending on what you want, it's completely doable. I originally (thought I) wanted something more akin to a family reunion/birthday party type jobby, and they don't take long to plan and can be done for a few grand. What wedding elements would you like to have vs what would you definitely be happy to forgo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm currently so not feeling it.
    Getting all my legal documents together is a massive pain in the hole because the embassy is horrible to deal with.
    But even worse, I'm going through a few health exams at the moment for some issues that could probably affect me for the rest of my life.

Just not in the mood for anything wedding-related right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

LirW wrote: »
    I'm currently so not feeling it.
    Getting all my legal documents together is a massive pain in the hole because the embassy is horrible to deal with.
    But even worse, I'm going through a few health exams at the moment for some issues that could probably affect me for the rest of my life.

Just not in the mood for anything wedding-related right now.

Take it easy, take a break.

When are you due to get married?

Health is obviously the most important thing and the support from your partner and those in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Early May!

Thanks so much, I couldn't focus on it anyway right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

LirW wrote: »
    Early May!

Thanks so much, I couldn't focus on it anyway right now.

That's much more like it. Sure what else should you be doing. I'm sure you have all the bookings done so forget about it for a while.

I'm 7 weeks today and I'm sure you have more done than I do. Let there be no panic. You can't focus everthing on the Wedding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrsm2be19

Hi everyone! We have just booked our wedding for next year. Only have the hotel book as yet but kinda leaving it now til end of sept as I have so much on this month money will be so tight , we have a wedding kids starting back in school and our babys christening ��

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've just booked my first venue viewing - exciting!

I'm sure the novelty will wear off once we get into the nitty gritty details, but for the moment it still feels fun

Scarinae wrote: »
    I've just booked my first venue viewing - exciting!

I'm sure the novelty will wear off once we get into the nitty gritty details, but for the moment it still feels fun

Though I'm not stressed about much to do with the wedding, I have to say the venue is one of the things that is least stress at my end! Something I didn't account for but proved to be a deciding factor for us was our interactions with the staff and how we could see ourselves being well looked after by them on the day. Not that you're asking for advice, but the best thing we did was to go with our gut on the staff. There was one venue which was cheaper and was closer to the aesthetic we thought we wanted, but I felt very dismissed and belitted by the person showing us around. Though my partner and my parents didn't agree with me and were taken aback by the beauty of the place, they completely understood what I meant once we were looked after by the venue we actually went with. It's weird to say, but the manager started talking (unprompted) about how they kept the kitchen nut free for a month before a wedding where a kid had a nut allergy, and I went "this is my venue" :P:P:P

Basically, find somewhere you love and don't underestimate how the staff can make a big difference to your experience. I should say we're 2019 as well, so I can't report back on the day yet, but we're having great fun so far planning everything with the venue's support :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Though I'm not stressed about much to do with the wedding, I have to say the venue is one of the things that is least stress at my end! Something I didn't account for but proved to be a deciding factor for us was our interactions with the staff and how we could see ourselves being well looked after by them on the day. Not that you're asking for advice, but the best thing we did was to go with our gut on the staff. There was one venue which was cheaper and was closer to the aesthetic we thought we wanted, but I felt very dismissed and belitted by the person showing us around. Though my partner and my parents didn't agree with me and were taken aback by the beauty of the place, they completely understood what I meant once we were looked after by the venue we actually went with. It's weird to say, but the manager started talking (unprompted) about how they kept the kitchen nut free for a month before a wedding where a kid had a nut allergy, and I went "this is my venue" :P:P:P

Basically, find somewhere you love and don't underestimate how the staff can make a big difference to your experience. I should say we're 2019 as well, so I can't report back on the day yet, but we're having great fun so far planning everything with the venue's support :)

In the whole planning of the wedding, choosing the venue was the only time I had that "this-is-it" moment. I thought I'd have it with the dress but unfortunately not. When we visited our venue, we both left giddy with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Hi all! I think I'm going for a 2020 wedding but hopefully it's okay to jump in here with a quick question! If a package for a venue has a minimum number, say 100, and I invite 110 but end up with only 90 people on the day, what happens? Would I have to pay for the 100 anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

hanaimai wrote: »
    Hi all! I think I'm going for a 2020 wedding but hopefully it's okay to jump in here with a quick question! If a package for a venue has a minimum number, say 100, and I invite 110 but end up with only 90 people on the day, what happens? Would I have to pay for the 100 anyway?

Yeah, generally. If there are minimum numbers of your venue, I’d suggest aiming to invite at least 20% more people than the minimum number, as you will get declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

hanaimai wrote: »

It depends on the hotel - first one i went to see said i'd pay for 100 even if only 50 showed up - second hotel (and the one i booked) said that i'd pay only for the final numbers i give 5 days beforehand, the package i booked was for 80....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If heard of hotels charging for the full amount of guests in the contract but allowing you to use that money elsewhere e.g. If it is 100e per guest and you're 10 short they'd let you use that extra 1k you paid for behind the bar or to pay off families rooms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Something I didn't account for but proved to be a deciding factor for us was our interactions with the staff and how we could see ourselves being well looked after by them on the day.

After doing out first venue viewings this weekend, I totally agree with this. We viewed one venue where the coordinator basically ignored my fiance until nearly the end of the viewing! Just left a terrible impression.

Advertisement