Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

17-04-2017, 13:10   #196
crossmolinalad

If the rural post office were my girlfriend works is closing the ones who goes there for their benefits must go to the bigger town what means I they are there they re going to do al their shoppings also in the bigger town
Next step closing down the little rural shops also
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-04-2017, 13:19   #197
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbannon View Post
Sustainable planning is something planners are educated in. Unfortunately councillors and county managers don't use this approach.
We all think of the HSE as the big failure state body. In my eyes ABP are the real culprit as their failings will last more than a century.
17-04-2017, 17:49   #198
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
We all think of the HSE as the big failure state body. In my eyes ABP are the real culprit as their failings will last more than a century.
ABP? Why?
17-04-2017, 18:56   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmolinalad View Post
If the rural post office were my girlfriend works is closing the ones who goes there for their benefits must go to the bigger town what means I they are there they re going to do al their shoppings also in the bigger town
Next step closing down the little rural shops also
Apparently very very few 66 year olds choose the PO method to receive their oap anymore so it's inevitable that as the years go by oap cash payments will literally die out.
Thanks from:
18-04-2017, 09:55   #200
pilly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parish Priest. View Post
Apparently very very few 66 year olds choose the PO method to receive their oap anymore so it's inevitable that as the years go by oap cash payments will literally die out.
Do you have a link for that statement because I've personally witnessed queues of OAP's at both the post offices close to me?
Advertisement
18-04-2017, 11:00   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilly View Post
Do you have a link for that statement because I've personally witnessed queues of OAP's at both the post offices close to me?
The end of the article below https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...67953?mode=amp
18-04-2017, 11:12   #202
pilly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parish Priest. View Post
Thought so, it says a 5% reduction.
18-04-2017, 11:42   #203
Shelflife

Its true there are less and less opting to get their pensions at the PO, some are happy to get it directly into the bank and thats fine, but many are faced with a form that directly favoured and pointed them towards the bank option.

The bank option is first on the form and until recently had a phrase similar to (this is the most efficient and easist way to get your money) on the actuasl form. Failing to point out that there would be a charge to put the money into your account and a charge to get the money out.

The PO option was at the bottom of the page or on the back of the page.

The DSP has also sent out letters to pensioners informing them of the option of getting their money paid directly into the bank, many pensioners took this as a command to send in their bank details and we lost their business as well.

We have no problem with people getting their pensions in what ever form they want but the DSP have actively pushed people in the direction of the banks to the detriment of the PO, thats whats so unfair about it.
Thanks from:
18-04-2017, 11:54   #204
road_high

Did I hear correctly the cost of postage stamps is being rounded up to one euro now? From 72c or whatever it had been (seemed to be rising every other time the past few years). That's some whopping increase...no wonder Citypost are advertising so aggressively now.
Advertisement
18-04-2017, 11:57   #205
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
Its true there are less and less opting to get their pensions at the PO, some are happy to get it directly into the bank and thats fine, but many are faced with a form that directly favoured and pointed them towards the bank option.

The bank option is first on the form and until recently had a phrase similar to (this is the most efficient and easist way to get your money) on the actuasl form. Failing to point out that there would be a charge to put the money into your account and a charge to get the money out.

The DSP has also sent out letters to pensioners informing them of the option of getting their money paid directly into the bank, many pensioners took this as a command to send in their bank details and we lost their business as well.

We have no problem with people getting their pensions in what ever form they want but the DSP have actively pushed people in the direction of the banks to the detriment of the PO, thats whats so unfair about it.
Personally think the safety issue alone makes it far better for pensioners to get paid directly into bank a/c if it suits them. Older, more vulnerable people walking around our already dangerous city and town streets carrying 200 euro plus in cash is crazy IMHO and asking for trouble.
18-04-2017, 12:07   #206
pilly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Personally think the safety issue alone makes it far better for pensioners to get paid directly into bank a/c if it suits them. Older, more vulnerable people walking around our already dangerous city and town streets carrying 200 euro plus in cash is crazy IMHO and asking for trouble.
Ah stop now, that is actually the most ridiculous reason I've heard. OAP's tend to carry cash anyway, they're not into the spending on cards.
Thanks from:
18-04-2017, 12:21   #207
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilly View Post
Ah stop now, that is actually the most ridiculous reason I've heard. OAP's tend to carry cash anyway, they're not into the spending on cards.
Really? So you think OAP's whizzing around with large amounts of cash weekly from the same spot is completely safe? Know of an old man
just recently had his house raided and cash (pension money from the PO) stolen..the wter meter trick unfortunately. Had that been paid directly to his bank a/c he may have been in a far safer situation.
As time goes by more and more OAP's will be card savvy as they'll have been well used to using them in their adult life so that's becoming far less of an issue- install a few more ATM's around the place- access to cash whenever it's needed.
18-04-2017, 12:32   #208
Maryanne84

Quote:

Do all pensioners pay bank charges? I thought that the over 70s didn't?
18-04-2017, 12:53   #209
pilly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Really? So you think OAP's whizzing around with large amounts of cash weekly from the same spot is completely safe? Know of an old man
just recently had his house raided and cash (pension money from the PO) stolen..the wter meter trick unfortunately. Had that been paid directly to his bank a/c he may have been in a far safer situation.
As time goes by more and more OAP's will be card savvy as they'll have been well used to using them in their adult life so that's becoming far less of an issue- install a few more ATM's around the place- access to cash whenever it's needed.
I agree that this will change over time, I'm about 20 years away from it myself and I'm sure there'll be no such thing as cash by then.

However, my point was that at the moment older people prefer to carry cash.
18-04-2017, 14:55   #210
Calhoun

Quote:
As unfair as it sounds the DSP do not owe the PO anything, they can choose a preferred vendor. There are many reasons they would do this, it sucks and all that but thats how it goes.

If its more convenient to go to the PO im sure you could convince customers to do that?
Forum Closed